Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That wave the week after Thanksgiving on the GFS is something to watch imo. The setup is decent. Get the NS to phase in at the right time and it could work out. 

And I agree with PSU about the lack of snow by December 15th. Out here it is the same. A no snow November/early December usually means a ratter. 2016 was saved with the storm of my lifetime. Or that winter was heading to a complete disaster as well. But I dont think we see no snow in either month. We are gonna have our chances. 

December 2009 was an aberration in the past fifteen years. 2016 blizzard saved that season but so did February 2006 and 2003. I would rather long track a Big Dog than wait for a few paltry events. Just don’t know if climate change overwhelms perfect pattern.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

December 2009 was an aberration in the past fifteen years. 2016 blizzard saved that season but so did February 2006 and 2003. I would rather long track a Big Dog than wait for a few paltry events. Just don’t know if climate change overwhelms perfect pattern.

09/10 was an aberration period. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

really nice -EPO/+PNA showing up on the EPS

IMG_3503.thumb.png.5be1ca73b09a8192693d0e375a3fd286.png

I’ll say this about the ongoing battle between -pdo and +enso…

If the -pdo wants to throw up an aleutian ridge, we might see it keep getting amped and pushed east by aleutian lows. Then we may keep getting looks like this.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Terpeast said:

If the -pdo wants to throw up an aleutian ridge, we might see it keep getting amped and pushed east by aleutian lows. Then we may keep getting looks like this.

Yes. If we can get that Aleutian low to set up for a good chunk of the winter we are probably good to go. We should of course expect that in a Nino though. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Andrew said:

We'll never see another 2009 - 2010 winter in our lifetimes at this latitude.

3 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Are you in favor of that evolution or not? I'm concerned the ridge being too far east would push our trough and subsequent coastal lows too far offshore.

• Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We'll never see another 2009 - 2010 winter in our lifetimes at this latitude.

Are you in favor of that evolution or not? I'm concerned the ridge being too far east would push our trough and subsequent coastal lows too far offshore.

There is always some variability in a longwave pattern, even one that seems to be locked in phase. Two winters ago we saw this in Jan after an apparently hopeless 'close the blinds pattern' 2 weeks earlier. The broad Aleutian ridge from hell(typical Nina) amped and shifted east(-EPO), bringing the cold and baroclinic boundary southward, and part of our region saw 3 snowstorms. In that particular case, 2 of the lows were a bit late developing/offshore for NW areas. Way too early to be concerned about the details though. The general looks we are currently seeing on guidance on the Pac side are pretty damn good.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There is always some variability in a longwave pattern, even one that seems to be locked in phase. Two winters ago we saw this in Jan after an apparently hopeless 'close the blinds pattern' 2 weeks earlier. The broad Aleutian ridge from hell(typical Nina) amped and shifted east(-EPO), bringing the cold and baroclinic boundary southward, and part of our region saw 3 snowstorms. In that particular case, 2 of the lows were a bit late developing/offshore for NW areas. Way too early to be concerned about the details though. The general looks we are currently seeing on guidance on the Pac side are pretty damn good.

To add, here’s @griteater’s excellent -pdo/+enso analysis. You’ll like this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Interesting how the NAO was mostly negative throughout the winter in all but Super Nino's. That is a weenie post for us if I have ever seen one. 

I noticed that blocking signal, too and addressed it in my outlook. I don’t know why we get a stronger signal on the atlantic side as a result of that -pdo/+enso pac combination, but it is there. And combine that with a -qbo.

• Like 6

Interesting look on the 0z GEFS. Hint of a wave coming eastward in the southern stream with cold in place. Nice look up top- even has a bit of a -NAO. Verbatim there is a little snow across the region on the mean just beyond this timeframe.
1701064800-7TVQQoidM0I.png
We need to induce an early snowfall to avoid a psu meltdown

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

• Haha 13

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

the book hasn’t been wrong yet…

It was interesting that you brought it up in sort of a negative context, given the ens guidance has been depicting a pretty favorable h5 pattern towards the end of the month, and there have been plenty of good vibe posts made wrt that over the past few days. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic