• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

6 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

your concerns are overblown… there is a ridge out west here. nothing like last year with a trough digging into Baja CA. not sure what you’re referring to

IMG_3539.thumb.png.9cb1e0b5893f1dcb9ab9a3e001d91bd6.png

Trough over Alaska. I don’t like seeing that, makes me concerned that it won’t be cold enough. Is it possible that my concerns end up being overblown and I end up with a foot of snow by mid-late December? Yeah, but I don’t think that is likely. Hopefully the trough over Alaska ends up being west and weaker than that. That’s a valid point though, it’s not digging into the west coast like last year. The issue is marginal events straight up don’t work in December anymore. Not with those Atlantic SSTs, I would honestly rather see this pattern in mid March than early December. It’s not even that the pattern sucks, I’m kind of nitpicking. It’s just too early. It’s a good pattern, not a perfect one, and with the mild atlantic SSTs we need just about perfect. 

That said, those same extremely mild atlantic SSTs will help juice up storms. That could pay off during the heart of winter if the pattern is favorable enough. Definitely seems to be a boom or bust factor with climate change. I’m not very optimistic about this winter, but if I’m wrong it’s probably going to be Jan-Feb we get rocked, not Dec. Generally that is the case in El Niños, especially stronger ones like this one.

33 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Euro/GFS op shows how Atlantic blocking doesn't mean squat when the Pacific is trash. 

I expect little to no snows in December. Pattern looks like garbage 

The -PDO is a death sentence here

I'm calling for a major snowstorm on December 5 to give CPK 12 inches.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Euro/GFS op shows how Atlantic blocking doesn't mean squat when the Pacific is trash. 

I expect little to no snows in December. Pattern looks like garbage 

The -PDO is a death sentence here

I’ve been super busy the past week, would you mind summarizing what’s off right now? Haven’t really been able to start diving into the models and teles consistently yet. I do recall hearing the -PDO looked like it was spiking again?

Thanks man. 

Not optimistic at all. Looks like the same garbage we've seen for years now. 

Pacific jet on steroids. Expect 4 months of March essentially so 40s & 50s for highs and lows near freezing with lots of clouds & rain. 

Unless the Pacific changes it's going to be the same shitty Nina like winter pattern. No amount of Atlantic blocking is going to make a difference. 

Bluewave is right on the money as always. 

• Weenie 13

The last 7 days of November are averaging 40degs.(36/44) or -4.

Month to date is 48.7[-0.4].    November should end at 46.6[-1.5].

Reached 53 at 3pm. yesterday.

Today: Steady T then falling to 33 by tomorrow AM, wind nw.-breezy, decreasing clouds.

48*(63%RH) at 6am.  Reached  50* at Noon.    49* at 3pm.    43* at 6pm.     40* at  7pm.

• Like 2

Anyway,  a Dec thread is posted for the Dec commentary. Right now,  I continue to hope NYC CP can accomplish its first freeze and harmless passing flurry by Wednesday of this week.  The freeze potential tonight might be shaky but NAM BL might be cold enough as quietly strong CAA develops the middle of this afternoon over our NYC sub forum (grinding south from upper NYS now).

Flurry risk NYC CP ASOS... I think continues for this coming Tuesday with -11C at 850MB overhead as a cold trough amplifies over the the northeast USA.  Lake effect potential for large amounts looks pretty good in western sections of NYS..some of that is sure to spill over the Appalachians into at least the I84 corridor as flurries and a couple of ops have flurries LI and NNJ early this coming week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Anyway,  a Dec thread is posted for the Dec commentary. Right now,  I continue to hope NYC CP can accomplish its first freeze and harmless passing flurry by Wednesday of this week.  The freeze potential tonight might be shaky but NAM BL might be cold enough as quietly strong CAA develops the middle of this afternoon over our NYC sub forum (grinding south from upper NYS now).

Flurry risk NYC CP ASOS... I think continues for this coming Tuesday with -11C at 850MB overhead as a cold trough amplifies over the the northeast USA.  Lake effect potential for large amounts looks pretty good in western sections of NYS..some of that is sure to spill over the Appalachians into at least the I84 corridor as flurries and a couple of ops have flurries LI and NNJ early this coming week. 

Yeah, looks like the model blend has the first possible freeze of the season in NYC for tomorrow morning.

GraphicalNDFD.php?width=720&timezone=EST

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, looks like the model blend has the first possible freeze of the season in NYC for tomorrow morning.

GraphicalNDFD.php?width=720&timezone=EST

Got down to 33 Tuesday morning under less CAA then tonight…

I think NYC will do it tonight but the harder freeze will wait until Tuesday morning 

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Not optimistic at all. Looks like the same garbage we've seen for years now. 

Pacific jet on steroids. Expect 4 months of March essentially so 40s & 50s for highs and lows near freezing with lots of clouds & rain. 

Unless the Pacific changes it's going to be the same shitty Nina like winter pattern. No amount of Atlantic blocking is going to make a difference. 

Bluewave is right on the money as always. 

:lol::weenie:

• Weenie 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 75 (1979)
NYC: 73 (1979)
LGA 68 (1999)

Lows:

EWR: 20 (1989)
NYC: 14 (1880)
LGA:  22 (1956)

Historical:

1812 - Southwesterly winds of hurricane force sank ships and unroofed buildings at Philadelphia and New York City. (David Ludlum)

1863 - The battle above the clouds was fought on Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga. Pre-frontal clouds obscured the upper battle- field aiding a Union victory. (David Ludlum)

1950 - The temperature at Chicago, IL, dipped to 2 below zero to equal their record for the month established on the 29th in 1872. On the first of the month that year Chicago established a record high for November with a reading of 81 degrees. (The Weather Channel)

1982 - Hurricane Iwa lashed the Hawaiian Islands of Niihau, Kauai, and Oahu with high winds and surf. Winds gusting to 120 mph caused extensive shoreline damage. Damage totalled 150 million dollars on Kauai, and fifty million dollars on Oahu. The peak storm surge on the south shore was six to eight feet. It marked the first time in 25 years that Hawaii had been affected by a hurricane. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Showers and thunderstorms produced heavy rain in southern Missouri, southeast Kansas and northeastern Oklahoma. Flooding was reported in Greene County of southwestern Missouri. Springfield MO was drenched with more than six inches of rain. Thunderstorms over southern Texas produced more than eight inches of rain in Caldwell County and Hayes County, and thunderstorms over south central Oklahoma produced one inch hail at Temple twice within an hour. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Low pressure brought heavy snow and high winds to the Northern and Central Rockies. Snowfall totals in Colorado ranged up to 40 inches at Wolf Creek Pass, with 27 inches falling in 24 hours. Telluride CO received 32 inches of snow, and winds atop Mines Peak gusted to 95 mph. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

15 day 500mb anomaly charts are pure fantasy. Even if they weren't wildly inaccurate and we could take them for future reality, favorable anomalies don't necessarily mean snow. We need successive run, multi-model ensemble snow threats in the 7-10 range, at minimum, to justify excitement. 

• Like 1

And back to Nov, where reality is more likely to be predictable the first week or so. BGM temps at 1-2P were subfreezing but our air may be arriving more down the Hud Valley. Let's get this 32 or colder NYC CP overwith either tomorrow morning or Tue-Wed.

Passing harmless CP ASOS flurry chance continues Tuesday.  

12z EC for Thursday?  what's that mixed stuff in the area.  

I don't think ithese are zero chance of occurring. Trying to take this one miniscule seasonable option at a time. I'll worry about Dec once we get cyclically repeated event. 

coolwx links have returned.