Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

9 hours ago, Chinook said:

my loops of September 2023, 250mb, covering all of last month. I am going to try to keep up with these, monthly (maybe) but no promises.

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Sep_1_18_2023_250mb_loop.html

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Sep_17_30_2023_250mb_loop.html

sample:

thumbnail.jpg

Interesting. Does the NA continent break up the north stream like the last fifteen days, often? There is only a brief connection between the Pacific and Atlantic once. But with only the last fifteen days shown I cannot tell if is only a short timed thing.

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like some patchy frost next week.  Other than that looks pretty uneventful for the foreseeable future.    

Patchy frost will be great!!   Haven't had many bugs all summer until about 3 weeks ago the mosquitoes have gone crazy in my area.  Solid frost or freeze would be most welcome.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like some patchy frost next week.  Other than that looks pretty uneventful for the foreseeable future.    

Hot and boring to cool and boring. Maybe we are saving up the interesting shit for winter, but right now its been kind of stagnant for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Hottest day locally looks to be tomorrow, they jacked up the temps to almost 90 in a good portion of SEMI.

Just an incredible stretch for early autumn.

Sault Ste. Marie, with records dating to 1888, set its monthly record of 83F yesterday, and is poised to match or exceed that again today. The prior monthly record was 82F, set on October 4, 1922. Back-to-back monthly records at a place with 136 years of observations... absolutely astounding.

Up to 81F so far: Sault Ste. Marie (weather.gov)

Traverse City, Michigan fell a degree short of its monthly record yesterday. Reached 88F. The all-time record is 89F, set on October 2, 1922. Forecast to reach 88F again today.

Currently 86F, although there was one 5-minute observation of 88F earlier: Cherry Capital Airport (weather.gov) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Hottest day locally looks to be tomorrow, they jacked up the temps to almost 90 in a good portion of SEMI.

Kind of surprised that Detroit has had 10 October days on record of 88+ (hottest 92 on Oct 7, 1963). Of course all in early October. The difference between early and late month is huge and continues into november. This is why it always seems like fall is a month or less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good news for those interested in taking a late season dip in the Great Lakes, or for those desiring warmer waters to accommodate lake effect snows. I know Buffalo did quite well last year, in that department.

The temperature of Lake Erie, at the Buffalo water intake crib, yesterday and today reached 70F: Lake Erie October Temperatures Buffalo (weather.gov)

This is the first time in recorded history (back to 1927), that a water temperature of 70F or better has been observed at the Buffalo crib during the month of October.

The prior monthly record of 69F, was set on October 1 & 2, 2016, and on October 1, 2023. There have also been 16 days on which a water temperature of 68F was observed: October 1-5, 1931; October 1, 1933; October 9-11, 2007; October 3-6, 2016; October 1, 2017; and October 1-2, 2019.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Second day here in the low-mid 80's... trees about 40-50% bare now.  Feels very odd outside.  Actually looking forward to some chilly LE rain later this week.

Lake Superior looks primed to deliver. It's like the Little Engine That Could, straying not far from average for much of the summer, but a late surge has brought it to the highest in the GLSEA era for the date.

image.thumb.png.20a1137ad4a683508341402a2588bdfe.png

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I am thinking that Toledo may be breaking a monthly temperature record for October.

Not quite. Today's high of 89F was actually one shy of the daily record. It has reached 90F or better six times on record in the month of October, most recently on October 1, 2019.

90+ readings in October in Toledo's threaded climate record:

(1) 90, on October 1, 1897

(2) 92 on October 8, 1939

(3) 92 on October 4, 1951

(4) 90, on October 3, 1953

(5) 91, on October 7, 1963

(6) 91, on October 1, 2019

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

One good blow will chill it down quickly.

I found when I lived up there the late warm waters made a difference when we got early cold blasts in November that could take advantage.  One time in the Keweenaw we were getting rain while it was snowing south because the lake was too warm.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

One good blow will chill it down quickly.

The cool and windy August caused the buoy temps in Lake Huron to fall into the upper 50s due to the wind turning over the water. Now, it’s back up to the mid 60s because of the lack of wind recently. Once we get the wind this weekend, the buoy temps on all of the Great Lakes will probably drop a good bit. 

• Like 1

Not sure if either of these are verified, but it was allegedly as high as 94F in parts of the Upper Peninsula yesterday. I did some research and I believe 94F would tie the Michigan statewide record for the month of October.

A high of 94F was observed on October 1, 1897, at Mottville; at St. Joseph on October 4 & 5, 1922; at Canton on October 7, 2007; and at Algonac WWTP on October 8, 2007.

9 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Not sure if either of these are verified, but it was allegedly as high as 94F in parts of the Upper Peninsula yesterday. I did some research and I believe 94F would tie the Michigan statewide record for the month of October.

A high of 94F was observed on October 1, 1897, at Mottville; at St. Joseph on October 4 & 5, 1922; at Canton on October 7, 2007; and at Algonac WWTP on October 8, 2007.

Love seeing records like this.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Lightning said:

I found when I lived up there the late warm waters made a difference when we got early cold blasts in November that could take advantage.  One time in the Keweenaw we were getting rain while it was snowing south because the lake was too warm.

Fairly common in early season/marginal events to see rain at the shore and snow at inland higher terrain areas until the lake cools sufficiently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Fairly common in early season/marginal events to see rain at the shore and snow at inland higher terrain areas until the lake cools sufficiently. 

Yep same for my area, I usually get snow first due to proximity and elevation from Lake, Petoskey and Traverse tend to get snow a few weeks later.

Been enjoying these late season temps, leaves just at about peak, need a little decent stretch of dry weather hopefully to get a chance to get the yardwork done before the snow arrives for good.

• Like 1