Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Fairly common in early season/marginal events to see rain at the shore and snow at inland higher terrain areas until the lake cools sufficiently. 

Very true.  This event was a bit different as this time even Houghton was getting mostly rain due to the lake being so warm.  You had to go south toward Twin Lakes area and they got the  snows.   Houghton is normally enough inland that it snows there yet can be rain at McLain SP in the early season snows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

Epic climate warming continues.

b9eef23ccac2e612499631dc389f8817.jpg

Too bad this October and its 4 days of 80+ at MKE (looks unlikely to see anymore) take a back seat to outbreaks 2-3 weeks later in the season from mid-century.

Oct 5- 80
Oct 6- 84
Oct 7- 82
Oct 12- 80
Oct 14- 82
Oct 15- 86
Oct 21- 84
Oct 22- 81

Oct 3- 84
Oct 17- 80
Oct 18- 83
Oct 19- 81
Oct 20- 85
Oct 21- 80
Oct 22- 83

Oct 6- 89
Oct 22- 82
Oct 23- 84
Oct 24- 80
Oct 26- 81

Oct 3- 84
Oct 5- 87
Oct 6- 82
Oct 7- 84
Oct 8- 81

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For me, it's not usual to check the connection with this USA cold front and associated 500mb trough, and the 250mb wind stream. The 500mb chart does not easily show this. The subtropical connection to our sort-of merging jet stream goes all the way from the mid-Pacific near Hawaii up and then up to the Great Lakes.  That's why I decided to save the 250mb North America charts of last month, post the loop and perhaps keep up with the whole thing. The El Nino's effects on the atmosphere are going to pop up in force, and the subtropical jet is the major player for North America. That's the thing. I don't know what conclusions I will get from looking at the jet streams way out in the Pacific every day.

gfs_2023-10-05-12Z_000_80_170_5_330_Winds_250.png

• Thanks 1

Well tonight the coconut palm, spindle palm, foxtail palm and flamethrower palm get to be wheeled back into the greenhouse for the winter.  Was a good run for tropical palms as I never expect them to be outdoors much longer than September 10-15.

how big are they all?

As was the case all year, only scraps of the heat made it to SE MI.

DTW's warmest temp for this "summers last gasp" was 83F on Oct 3rd. To put that into perspective, while some places west/north set all-time October warm temps or close to it, Detroit has seen a warmer October temp (84F+) a total of 61 times, and then another 26 times matched this 83F.

Time to take the heat repellant off the magnet and reattach the snow magnet:scooter: 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW's warmest temp for this "summers last gasp" was 83F on Oct 3rd. To put that into perspective, while some places west/north set all-time October warm temps or close to it, Detroit has seen a warmer October temp (84F+) a total of 61 times, and then another 26 times matched this 83F.

Time to take the heat repellant off the magnet and reattach the snow magnet:scooter: 

Sniffing out a big warmup later in the month.  Probably gonna roast for a bit in November too like 2020.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Ahh you mean the magnet that causes the low pressure center to pivot right over us

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Hell first week of last November I was still swatting the occasional mosquito while working outside. Got pretty warm 

Yes, last November had a few nice warm days.  MKE set a record high of 77 on 11/10 and a record warm min of 60 same day.  It was the latest calendar day in the season EVER that MKE remained above 60 during all reporting hours.  Another record.

2020 had 3 record highs in November and 1 record warm minimum (63) which is the warmest record minimum for the month of November.

I wouldn't say last winter was crap at all.  Brother-in-law near Tahoe had record snows.  Sister in Wyoming had near record snows.  Nephew in MN had record snows.  Friends in Buffalo with record snows.  Family on the west side of MI had two of their largest LES events in several years.  

22/23 was a D- winter for a cold/snow lover west of Chicago. Other than the cold blast (with no real snow) just before Christmas, it had no redeeming qualities. No sustained cold, no snowpack, no big storms. And no mega torches / Morch that would at least add a novelty factor. It’s my nightmare that 23/24 is a redux. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Well tonight the coconut palm, spindle palm, foxtail palm and flamethrower palm get to be wheeled back into the greenhouse for the winter.  Was a good run for tropical palms as I never expect them to be outdoors much longer than September 10-15.

What do those go down to? I have a windmill palm and a few musa basjoo that Im going to leave out during this weather.