Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

9 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Late tomorrow night-Saturday morning could see some wet flakes mix in up this way.

Did you get any hail out of the storms around your area today?  Just wondering.  When I viewed the MTU webcams as a storm was hitting them it looked like some hail was happening.

What do those go down to? I have a windmill palm and a few musa basjoo that Im going to leave out during this weather. 

Coconut, foxtail, spindle and flamethrower will die below 32 and sulk hard below 45. Windmill can be outside until we are getting super hard freezes. Windmill wouldn’t mind 30s/40s for highs all winter if we could maintain that.

Here’s my foxtail. Almost 7 feet tall in pot. Others are about the same. @Chicago Storm

77d76bcdaf1a763c3d4cf39386d3a291.jpg
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Did you get any hail out of the storms around your area today?  Just wondering.  When I viewed the MTU webcams as a storm was hitting them it looked like some hail was happening.

No hail but had two rounds of quick downpours amounting to just under a half inch.  Some brief clearing before lake effect rain takes shape, and cool, down to 47.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Coconut, foxtail, spindle and flamethrower will die below 32 and sulk hard below 45. Windmill can be outside until we are getting super hard freezes. Windmill wouldn’t mind 30s/40s for highs all winter if we could maintain that.

Here’s my foxtail. Almost 7 feet tall in pot. Others are about the same. @Chicago Storm

77d76bcdaf1a763c3d4cf39386d3a291.jpg

Currently the Bananas and windmill are in pots but at my next place I'll be putting them in the ground. I started with 2 musa and now have 6. Going to cut down 4 of them and mulch and store, the other two will come in the house. 

• Like 1

Currently the Bananas and windmill are in pots but at my next place I'll be putting them in the ground. I started with 2 musa and now have 6. Going to cut down 4 of them and mulch and store, the other two will come in the house. 

I have over 30 musa in ground along with one windmill and two needle palms.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Last winter was fine and didn't linger into April too much.

Last winter locally was the classic winter for the "I don't like cold and snowcover I just like a good storm" crowd. Multiple good storms/events with blinding snow and gorgeous scenery, plus the ice storm, but just not the year for the deep Winter cold/snowcover enthusiast. Outside of arctic Christmas week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

The first mention of wet snow mixing in across central Minnesota tomorrow has appeared in the MPX afternoon forecast discussion.

Widespread frost outside the metro and widespread freeze up north this weekend into early next week. Stuck in the low 50s here for awhile. 

Yep looks like it: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=MPX&issuedby=MPX&product=AFD&format=ci&version=1&glossary=1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Last winter locally was the classic winter for the "I don't like cold and snowcover I just like a good storm" crowd. Multiple good storms/events with blinding snow and gorgeous scenery, plus the ice storm, but just not the year for the deep Winter cold/snowcover enthusiast. Outside of arctic Christmas week.

Yeah let's do that again. I like activity I don't care for dirty old crust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is still several days away, but models are trending better (both op and ensembles) mid to late next week regarding a potential heavy rain system.  The current trend is the big southeast Canada/great lakes upper low backs off a bit and allows the western energy to eject farther north.  We really need this to happen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah let's do that again. I like activity I don't care for dirty old crust.

Agree.  I don't mind falls being a bit boring.  Active winters are much better!!  Being a skier, just need temps a tad bit cooler in Jan & Feb than last winter (local condition's were terrible last year). 

• Like 1

Seasonable temps with scattered shwrs, and windy conditions yesterday turning pretty chilly today. It's midday, and only in the upper 40's right now, and my furnace is running a bit more. NW winds creating a gravity wave with LER over the big lake. Gravity waves are typical along the shoreline with the terrain we have.

Oct 6 story board.gif

• Like 2

21 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Looking great late month.  No cold air to be found this side of globe.

image.png.c83e6636652589be5907d2b464bc871f.png

Just looking at my own modelling method, I'd agree with those models to some degree. I'm seeing patterns favorable for near avg - much above temps for the 2nd half of Oct into the 1st half of Nov. So we'll shall see how that pans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

didn’t know you were in the palm group. nice.

Yep, started about 10 years ago. The most hardy palms can handle our weather (GTA) from mid March-mid November with minimal protection. I like pushing the boundaries with vegetation. 

Though you wont see me posting warm weather maps as I enjoy winter, especially front loaded winters haha 

• Like 1

Yep, started about 10 years ago. The most hardy palms can handle our weather (GTA) from mid March-mid November with minimal protection. I like pushing the boundaries with vegetation. 

Though you wont see me posting warm weather maps as I enjoy winter, especially front loaded winters haha 

I had a windmill palm in ground for over 10 years here.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Next week's big storm is still flopping around a bit.  The GFS was south of Iowa a couple days ago, but now it has jumped way north and dumps most of its rain over SD/MN.  The UK is still south.  The Canadian and Euro are in between, hitting Iowa hard.

Just like winter being in the bullseye 4+ days out is usually the kiss of death. 

Some scattered frost here this morning as temps made it down to 38.

• Like 1