Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

How much is tne gondola ride?

I want to say $37.  Kids are maybe 10 bucks cheaper?  It’s not cheap, but offers a bit more novelty than Toll Road to me.  But it adds up quick for a family of 4.

Mild evening for Oct… 63F at 9:30pm.  High of 83F.

Evening walk as it got dark around 6:30pm.  Free of charge, ha.

A7862BA1-966B-4249-A416-DD78C68531B8.thumb.jpeg.526dac04fa92fff7095f36d8e820ee64.jpeg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

You have to adjust to the various camera adjustments, too.  Lots of "tricks" going on.

It is. Full manual with DSLR.  Getting the contrast and light to optimize color is key.  You need to “stop down” to reduce the light entering.

Time of day is absolutely critical too, even with just an iPhone camera or something.  If foliage is getting blasted by harsh/high-sunlight, everything washes out.  The natural eye notices it very easily.  You see noon foliage on a warm sunny and it can be underwhelming… foliage in the early morning or late afternoon light just glows when in the warm low-angle lighting.

Dark, rainy days can be the best foliage color to be honest.  Wait till this weekend and it’s dark, damp… foliage will pop more noticeable to the eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I want to say $37.  Kids are maybe 10 bucks cheaper?  It’s not cheap, but offers a bit more novelty than Toll Road to me.  But it adds up quick for a family of 4.

A7862BA1-966B-4249-A416-DD78C68531B8.thumb.jpeg.526dac04fa92fff7095f36d8e820ee64.jpeg

It was $24 each for the Gore Mt. gondola we did Saturday. 

IMG_3758.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 bucks to ride the gondi one round trip
Wtf. Corporate greed bs. Kids should at least should be free

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

37 bucks to ride the gondi one round trip
Wtf. Corporate greed bs. Kids should at least should be free

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I get the sentiment but those things aren’t cheap either to build and maintain and insure.  Killington is $30+ and $24+.  Pretty standard rates in industry is $25-$40 for a senic lift ride.

You hike up and it’s free to ride down at least, ha.  I don’t know, it’s got a 20+ minute line to ride in the fall so at that price there’s a demand.  I always go back to economic principles on this stuff; no one would look at what goes on in the fall and think, yeah this is priced too high.

Like I said, you start to figure out there is an enormous amount of wealth in the northeastern US working in some of these resort towns.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I get the sentiment but those things aren’t cheap either to build and maintain and insure.  Killington is $30+ and $24+.  Pretty standard rates in industry is $25-$40 for a senic lift ride.

You hike up and it’s free to ride down at least, ha.  I don’t know, it’s got a 20+ minute line to ride in the fall so at that price there’s a demand.  I always go back to economic principles on this stuff; no one would look at what goes on in the fall and think, yeah this is priced too high.

Like I said, you start to figure out there is an enormous amount of wealth in the northeastern US working in some of these resort towns.

Just got back from Nantucket.  Most of those folks have a house at Stowe too.  Foolish money. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is absolutely true.    And those with that wealth think it is pretty normal.  But that’s a conversation for a different time I guess. 
I wonder how much economic impact these rainy weekends have had on the tourism industry this season?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Just got back from Nantucket.  Most of those folks have a house at Stowe too.  Foolish money. 

Ha yup, Nantucket in summer, Stowe in winter.

And not to go down the economics rabbit hole but things are different than they were pre-COVID.  Stuff just costs more.  Labor costs have doubled, energy costs, replacement parts/maintenance costs, etc.

Corporate greed hasn’t changed in decades, but operating margins have shifted. And places aren’t going to operate at a loss. The $10 pizza is now $24.  The $20 Gondola ride is now $37.  Could play this game with any number of goods and services.

Back to weather… this sunrise is bonkers this morning.

And it’s 55F outside.  That’s a real mild night in October. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yup, Nantucket in summer, Stowe in winter.

And not to go down the economics rabbit hole but things are different than they were pre-COVID.  Stuff just costs more.  Labor costs have doubled, energy costs, replacement parts/maintenance costs, etc.

Corporate greed hasn’t changed in decades, but operating margins have shifted. And places aren’t going to operate at a loss. The $10 pizza is now $24.  The $20 Gondola ride is now $37.  Could play this game with any number of goods and services.

Back to weather… this sunrise is bonkers this morning.

And it’s 55F outside.  That’s a real mild night in October. 

you don't think some places are taking advantage/gouging the consumer post-covid?

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The 2 day rainer has begun. 

And we do it all over again next weekend ! 

It's not going to be a washout. Some scattered showers around today on and off. Although there's some heavy ones in the east part of CT. Tomorrow looks like they'll be a band that sets up in a narrow area of Connecticut. But all the places on either side will see. Not much rain at all. So it's not going to be as bad as originally anticipated. We'll see what happens

25 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

you don't think some places are taking advantage/gouging the consumer post-covid?

Most corporations across many industries have been able to not only pass on their higher input costs to the consumer but actually GROW their margins . Some call it Greedflation, but American consumers don’t seem capable of pushing back (they been bred to be consumers since birth) and seem to associate price w status more then other countries 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

It's not going to be a washout. Some scattered showers around today on and off. Although there's some heavy ones in the east part of CT. Tomorrow looks like they'll be a band that sets up in a narrow area of Connecticut. But all the places on either side will see. Not much rain at all. So it's not going to be as bad as originally anticipated. We'll see what happens

Still crappy though-doubt anyone gets off totally rain free

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Other than those showers in eastern CT…radar is empty for SNE/CT.  We dry today. Let’s see how tomorrow shakes out.

Actually the radar is missing quite a bit of drizzle and light rain... had to take a drive from Burlington to New Britain and back through the Farmington Valley west into the Harwinton area and went through several pockets of drizzle / light rain... none of which were on the radar...

• Like 2