Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TS Ophelia

GaWx

5 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

The limiting factor here isn't really SSTs. Don't listen to certain unproductive posters on here crap on it because of that. The real limiting factor is dry air. The 12z hurricane models all have a skeletal type of hurricane, devoid of convection on the right side mainly, making landfall. This already can be seen in the current radar appearance, struggling with some convection on the east side.

b56df4b2a64b9a5cab5690a1b0ee1c9a.png

That being said it's constructing a legit core and I am really interested of where this goes over next several hours. I think 60-70 knots at landfall. 

This is 100% correct strong blocking high pressure is sending down the dry air off the Northern Mid Atlantic Coasts up to Novia Scotia here in SE PA the dewpoint is 46 so there is that now the dews are rising here though but still we sit 450 miles north of the center and there is 46-degree dewpoints here so there has to be an affect I would think down the coast. 

28 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Norfolk Airport, over 250 miles+ away, is sustained at 40 MPH gusting to 53 MPH. Impressive wind field and on ground verification. Even Wallops Island, Delaware is sustained at 36 gusting to 51.

Wallops Island is in Virginia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

This is 100% correct strong blocking high pressure is sending down the dry air off the Northern Mid Atlantic Coasts up to Novia Scotia here in SE PA the dewpoint is 46 so there is that now the dews are rising here though but still we sit 450 miles north of the center and there is 46-degree dewpoints here so there has to be an affect I would think down the coast. 

Yep.  Those dew points should effectively affect things down the coast 

12 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Kind of a skeletal look due to the dry air, and I think this is temporary, but this is the most organized we've seen the COC. I think it's temporary organization but it's reasonable, for the moment, it's at 75 MPH. 

85738d58dd28c62a049fcaef0cc60b3a.png

Compared to the models the center looks like it is east of where they had it on the model runs at 12 and 18z

1 hour ago, MattPetrulli said:

Kind of a skeletal look due to the dry air, and I think this is temporary, but this is the most organized we've seen the COC. I think it's temporary organization but it's reasonable, for the moment, it's at 75 MPH. 

85738d58dd28c62a049fcaef0cc60b3a.png

As expected, this was temporary and the eyewall feature collapsed. However, it made the storm slightly more symmetrical as a whole while doing so. This is important to note for surge and potential frictional convergence enhancers.

• Like 1

WTNT61 KNHC 231020
TCUAT1

Tropical Storm Ophelia Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL162023
620 AM EDT Sat Sep 23 2023

...OPHELIA MAKES LANDFALL IN NORTH CAROLINA...

Doppler Radar images, Air Force Hurricane Hunter data and surface 
observations indicate that Ophelia made landfall near Emerald Isle 
in North Carolina around 615 am EDT (1015 UTC) with estimated 
maximum winds of 70 mph (110 km/h).

An observation in Cape Lookout, North Carolina, recently reported 
sustained winds of 61 mph (98 km/h) with a gust to 73 mph (117 
km/h).

SUMMARY OF 620 AM AST...1020 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.7N 77.0W
ABOUT 25 MI...45 KM WNW OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 75 MI...120 KM NE OF CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA