• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

I don’t know anybody who’s been unrealistic? Some of you people, all you f’n do is bitch and moan about every single event/and potential.  2-4 or 3-5 sucks now, and is meh I guess.  We’ve seen this current event go from something moderate to significant, to a dusting.  And now we’re back at something respectable. We were told that when some of us pointed out improvements, that we were polishing turds.  What the hell happened in here? 

We had to hear the constant and incessant whining from Taunton, and the posters who jump on the winter sucks bandwagon with him repeatedly.  

Mods, can we seriously make a thread for the winter sucks crew. And that way those of us who want to come in here and participate, and talk about potential(good or bad), can do so without the constant and incessant whining and moaning and ridiculing, from these posters every single run of the models.  This place has become a cesspool.  

It’s to the point now, that if it isn’t a 6-12” snowstorm, well I guess it’s just not worth talking about..it’s meh.  And when we try, we’re labeled as the all roses crew/all unicorns crew.   Not one person was unrealistic. But that’s what they’ll tell ya because all they do is bitch and complain..if ain’t showing 12-18 with a 975 mb nor’easter, well it just plain sucks now. What a group of clowns. This place is worse than the accuweather forums now…what a dam shame. 

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t know anybody who’s been unrealistic? Some of you people, all you f’n do is bitch and moan about every single event/and potential.  2-4 or 3-5 sucks now, and is meh I guess.  We’ve seen this current event go from something moderate to significant, to a dusting.  And now we’re back at something respectable. We were told that when some of us pointed out improvements, that we were polishing turds.  What the hell happened in here? 

We had to hear the constant and incessant whining from Taunton, and the posters who jump on the winter sucks bandwagon with him repeatedly.  

Mods, can we seriously make a thread for the winter sucks crew. And that way those of us who want to come in here and participate, and talk about potential(good or bad), can do so without the constant and incessant whining and moaning and ridiculing, from these posters every single run of the models.  This place has become a cesspool.  

It’s to the point now, that if it isn’t a 6-12” snowstorm, well I guess it’s just not worth talking about..it’s meh.  And when we try, we’re labeled as the all roses crew/all unicorns crew.   Not one person was unrealistic. But that’s what they’ll tell ya because all they do is bitch and complain..if ain’t showing 12-18 with a 975 mb nor’easter, well it just plain sucks now. What a group of clowns. This place is worse than the accuweather forums now…what a dam shame. 

People are talking about the potential, you just don’t like that’s it’s negative. Period. You say you are good with both good and bad discussion yet you are constantly jumping on people for mentioning less than ideal outcomes.

The end of the week storm is looking disappointing given the high end ingredients

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Happy MLK day. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

People are talking about the potential, you just don’t like that’s it’s negative. Period. You say you are good with both good and bad discussion yet you are constantly jumping on people for mentioning less than ideal outcomes.

The end of the week storm is looking disappointing given the high end ingredients

I don’t jump on anybody.  You and a few make it seem that way, by twisting things. I always consider the negatives…all the time. But when we’re cancelling storms at almost a week out(and nobody said the latest trends didn’t look bad..they do, but modeling has been atrocious of late, and just because I say let’s give a 6 day prog a little more time, I’m ridiculed for it?) and punting weeks and full months of winter, because some are frustrated, that isn’t what a weather board is for. 

You want to cancel Saturday’s potential, go ahead. I support your right to do that. Just leave it at that if that’s your take. And if it doesn’t improve, you can claim you were correct.  And I’ll give you the credit, and admit it never improved. Does this sound like somebody who is one way? Always roses and unicorns?  Always trying to polish a turd as you said I was?  

I see the negatives with this Saturday thing, as plainly as you do, I’m just saying what if something in the modeling is off at this lead time…we’ve seen that time and time again. We see at 24 hrs out.  If that’s being all Rosie all the time, we’ll then so be it. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not worth bitching in here. Go to banter. 

Nah, people would rather just bitch and do “woe is me” to the largest audience possible…so they do it in here instead of banter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Southeast crew has a pinned Sanatorium thread for that very "winter is canceled" crowd and a separate Banter thread to bitch and moan in so that the actual forecast discussions are not drowned by doom and gloom

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Nah, people would rather just bitch and do “woe is me” to the largest audience possible…so they do it in here instead of banter. 

I came here from the accuweather forums, because this place was real and scientific, and there was a ton of great professional conversation. It’s going downhill fast now. I see why Bob left, and I honestly don’t blame him. And I’m not talking about the fun banter..I love that.  I’m talking about exactly what you just posted. It’s ruining the place. 

This morning on AmWx: New England 

TBlizz and the Gang of Meh get real about winter, and the Wolf is UNLEASHED.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952pajt5xxem8931b31n

Will mods and mets leave the board? Will winter 2023-24 go the way of the Dallas Cowboys—one and done?

When will Berg snap? Will the Pope make a triumphant return and sound the “Inferno Series” goose call?

This and more during the dumbest ******* season we have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

The Southeast crew has a pinned Sanatorium thread for that very "winter is canceled" crowd and a separate Banter thread to bitch and moan in so that the actual forecast discussions are not drowned by doom and gloom

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

Yes, Panic Room spin off. When I started that thread years ago it was supposed to be a place where people could vent and find comedic relief. But unfortunately, people take winter and themselves way too seriously. It’s unbearable. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

I came here from the accuweather forums, because this place was real and scientific, and there was a ton of great professional conversation. It’s going downhill fast now. I see why Bob left, and I honestly don’t blame him. And I’m not talking about the fun banter..I love that.  I’m talking about exactly what you just posted. It’s ruining the place. 

I have certainly observed what you're talking about. It seemed to me things changed when the Effyouweather board shut down... coincidence? Then again, there are a lot of younger posters who probably just got spoiled with great snow years and this is the 2020s so. It amazes me how some complain that a 2 to 4 deal sucks. I've lived through many years when we could barely buy those

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What’s always been strange to me is those who log into a forum to be miserable. Didn’t see nearly as much of that even in our shit winters back 10-15 years ago. 

I literally had to move like 30 posts into here because an entire page and a half of the january pattern thread was just bitching and you would have no idea what is actually happening over the next 2-3 weeks based on those posts. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What’s always been strange to me is those who log into a forum to be miserable. Didn’t see nearly as much of that even in our shit winters back 10-15 years ago. 

I literally had to move like 30 posts into here because an entire page and a half of the january pattern thread was just bitching and you would have no idea what is actually happening over the next 2-3 weeks based on those posts. 

I just can’t grasp it. The delusional faith in flakes stuff drives me up a wall but at least those people are happy warriors. It’s possible to rationally discuss an unpleasant season and/or forecast/storm. It’s also totally ok to melt and rant—just not everyday or every other post in a dedicated analysis/tracking thread.

The palpable misery is what gets me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I just can’t grasp it. The delusional faith in flakes stuff drives me up a wall but at least those people are happy warriors. It’s possible to rationally discuss an unpleasant season and/or forecast/storm. It’s also totally ok to melt and rant—just not everyday or every other post in a dedicated analysis/tracking thread.

The palpable misery is what gets me. 

The old saying “misery loves company” might be in play as an explanation. 

But anyways…I sort of get it. People become irrational in a scientific sense when things break a certain direction for longer than is typical. You see it in both directions too…when we keep ringing up triple 7s in good winters or even a few years in a row, the model discourse becomes way overly optimistic and then it becomes obscenely pessimistic when things are running snowless. For someone like me who is obsessed with numbers and statistics, I see it through that prism of statistical anomalies and not necessarily some underlying predictable outcome long before model guidance has a lot of skill to make a confident call….but I know many others don’t think like that. 

I still don’t quite understand wanting to bludgeon others for not joining the pity party though. I’ve seen some of that and it’s pathetic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Love how this event tomorrow can fly 100 miles NW and taint into the interior, but rest assured Friday is mostly OTS because it’s cold enough. What a winter. 

New climate we live in....it is amazing what our winters look like when our offshore waters are a few degrees warmer than what they should be. Taint ends up x amount of miles further inland for offshore systems. 

It's almost like we need a system outside of the Benchmark to ensure all snow along the coastline during the coldest part of the year. 

It's one thing if we don't have any cold air around, but now that we do, even the weakest of low pressures can taint the region ...This is why we cant have an average season anymore without some massive snowstorm to pad the stats so to speak or in some cases that doesn't even matter. Definitely Mid Atlantic climate vibes.

If the offshore waters can ever get back to even near normal, maybe things can change...until then hedge on the lower side of most forecasts with systems like this.

Hoping for 1-3 down here before we flip to drizzle, most likely we are 34-35 with slop tomorrow mid day

• Like 1

People tend to jump from one extreme to another, this is true. There are always going to be good and bad stretches that's just how it goes. We have been in a tough stretch recently but the 80s were the same or even worse. We will have a good stretch again at some point.

Also, I'm not sure that less snowy winters are necessarily correlated to CC though because the 80s were frigid and yet not a lot of snow. The snow definitely doesnt stick around for as long as it used to back then, but that doesn't mean it's less snowy than it used to be. It basically comes down to getting a pattern where cold air is timed in sync with precipitation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

New climate we live in....it is amazing what our winters look like when our offshore waters are a few degrees warmer than what they should be. Taint ends up x amount of miles further inland for offshore systems. 

It's almost like we need a system outside of the Benchmark to ensure all snow along the coastline during the coldest part of the year. 

It's one thing if we don't have any cold air around, but now that we do, even the weakest of low pressures can taint the region ...This is why we cant have an average season anymore without some massive snowstorm to pad the stats so to speak or in some cases that doesn't even matter. Definitely Mid Atlantic climate vibes.

If the offshore waters can ever get back to even near normal, maybe things can change...until then hedge on the lower side of most forecasts with systems like this.

Hoping for 1-3 down here before we flip to drizzle, most likely we are 34-35 with slop tomorrow mid day

It’s just that nothing has gone right really for two years. So yeah I’m letting some steam out of the pressure valve. 

• Weenie 1

22 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I don’t think this explains our recent struggles. It hasn’t really been that warm offshore this year…we’ve had warmer in the past

IMG_0095.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

People tend to jump from one extreme to another, this is true. There are always going to be good and bad stretches that's just how it goes. We have been in a tough stretch recently but the 80s were the same or even worse. We will have a good stretch again at some point.

Also, I'm not sure that less snowy winters are necessarily correlated to CC though because the 80s were frigid and yet not a lot of snow. The snow definitely doesnt stick around for as long as it used to back then, but that doesn't mean it's less snowy than it used to be. It basically just comes down to getting a pattern where cold air is timed in sync with precipitation.

In regards to the 80s, it just didn't want to snow. The cold was there, just not the precip when it was needed. Now, when it does snow it is because we threaded some needle and pulled some teeth to finally get it to happen. CC doesn't mean it doesn't snow anymore or it never gets cold anymore. At this stage, it probably means when we actually get a snow storm it will be one that breaks records or when it does get cold, it will end up breaking records. CC seems to be increasing the frequency of record breaking events. But regardless of those snow totals, our months and year temperatures will most likely be above or way above average. But again, it doesn't mean we can't have a below average month, or even even a well below average month (February 2015 for example)

The big question remains, how is CC affecting our bread and butter systems and thus our seasons on average.... If we taint more often, knocking off a few inches here and there, plus a few systems that are marginal and end up 33 and rain instead of 31 and snow. Maybe we miss out on 10 to 15, maybe even 20 inches each season. Then we have what we have been dealing since 2014/15. However, those "good" seasons since then have been saved by 1 or 2 big storms or by a prolific 2 week winter. Otherwise they didn't really have that feeling of average, let alone above average. I still think coastal water temps are killing our winter seasons down here and probably won't change until the water temps come back down to average, if they ever do at this point. 

So, I will take any snow I can get down here and enjoy it....it's still more than I ever had growing up in the Mid Atlantic region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

"Some of you people, all you f’n do is bitch and moan about every single event/and potential." 

Some of you people "all you f'n do is bitch and moan about every single negative snow/cold/potential comment."   I thought you were blocking everyone who doesn't post ACATT?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Also, I'm not sure that less snowy winters are necessarily correlated to CC though because the 80s were frigid and yet not a lot of snow. The snow definitely doesnt stick around for as long as it used to back then, but that doesn't mean it's less snowy than it used to be. It basically comes down to getting a pattern where cold air is timed in sync with precipitation.

80s were far worse... speaking of the general SNE area