Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

38 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Absent Powderfreaks winter pictures that what we have to look at, hopefully PF has some good snow pics soon.

Been a rough go of it since the major flooding 10 days ago now.  No end-of-the-day, parking-lot, snowy vibes photos even.  Just no winter vibes.

We feel lucky for the multi-week stretch of paste jobs seen earlier in the season.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:33 AM, klw said:

Just got $150 in Amazon gift cards as presents to put toward a new weather station/thermometer.  Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have an Ambient that was in that price range. It was easy to set up and connect to the internet and the console. The app is decent as is the console. I wish it had more options in terms of keeping data. Overall it’s been a good unit for my level of use. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Davis, but I'm biased. Accurite, which are less costly are decent and have nice displays. Lacrosse is another option.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have an Ambient that was in that price range. It was easy to set up and connect to the internet and the console. The app is decent as is the console. I wish it had more options in terms of keeping data. Overall it’s been a good unit for my level of use. 

I too have an Ambient that I've been happy with for the most part.  Definitely curious about the Davis options though, but they do appear to be significantly more costly.  

My brother got an updated version of my Ambient about a year or two after I got mine and the display is leaps and bounds better.  Has a little more data too which is nice.  I follow both of ours on Wunderground and it's nice to quickly see what's going on in his neck of the woods.  

As @mreaves said, they're quite easy to setup, seem to work well enough from a hobbyist perspective and have held up quite good (so far) in multiple years of all kinds of crazy weather.  

I'd love to hear others thoughts on Davis units if they have them - pros, cons, etc.  Also placement options.  Mine is not ideal but would be curious to hear how others mounted theirs.  

7 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

Almost 150 geese and some ducks...Geese are feasting in the very green for early January grass. Never seen this many here at once. Maybe a sign that weather is going to change.

You seem to like cod, ever think of doing this? I plan on getting up there one year, no ice yet this year but they seem to think by mid Jan they'll have the huts on the river.

The Outfitters | Tomcod Ice Fishing Festival Ste-Anne-de-la-Pérade (lespetitspoissons.ca)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You seem to like cod, ever think of doing this? I plan on getting up there one year, no ice yet this year but they seem to think by mid Jan they'll have the huts on the river.

The Outfitters | Tomcod Ice Fishing Festival Ste-Anne-de-la-Pérade (lespetitspoissons.ca)

We checked this out on snowmobile last year really cool.Its a village they build on the river.We we're there on a weekday so it was not busy sounds like the weekend is busy.Carnival atmosphere.

1 hour ago, renegade700 said:

We checked this out on snowmobile last year really cool.Its a village they build on the river.We we're there on a weekday so it was not busy sounds like the weekend is busy.Carnival atmosphere.

I looked at pics, they have restaurants out there and they supply everything, the cost isn't bad either, sounds like a fun time that I want to try one year, and I've always wanted to go to Winter Carnival in Quebec, my sister went a couple years ago and said it was a good time.

15 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That was really interesting. Thank you! I used to catch tomcod thirty five years ago when I was a kid while flounder fishing . Nice to see they have a healthy fishery up there. Not many around in the places I found them years ago the past couple decades.

Have to decide tonight on either making my weekend trip to the Berkshires (east Chatham NY to be exact) or cancel it and stay home.  Logically I should cancel because we are supposed to leave Sunday, and I don’t see us being able to drive home.  But snow wise I’m thinking the Berkshires does better than the CT coast? If so then I’ll probably just keep the Berkshires trip haha

Took a walk out the club snomo trail thru our woodlot to see how much damage was done by the Dec. 18 gales.  At least half of the fir 10" diameter or larger were toppled where I could see from the trail and from a short bushwhack, while most of the smaller fir escaped destruction.  Pines on that side of our land were fine, but some of the taller (100-120') pines near the road suffered - 2 were turned into 60-70' flagpoles/masts when the 2nd half of forks broke off, and 2 others lost first halves, making them vulnerable to NW wind.  By far the most tree damage in our 25+ years here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Took a walk out the club snomo trail thru our woodlot to see how much damage was done by the Dec. 18 gales.  At least half of the fir 10" diameter or larger were toppled where I could see from the trail and from a short bushwhack, while most of the smaller fir escaped destruction.  Pines on that side of our land were fine, but some of the taller (100-120') pines near the road suffered - 2 were turned into 60-70' flagpoles/masts when the 2nd half of forks broke off, and 2 others lost first halves, making them vulnerable to NW wind.  By far the most tree damage in our 25+ years here.

I had a mess of some pretty good size branches in my yard, cleaned most up last weekend but I have a feeling more messes will come before the winter's over.