• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

Many years ago when I lived in Gardiner, I found a small (10'x20') fenced-in area while hunting in the 2,000' strip of woods between our house and the camps on Cobbossee Stream.  The holes where things had been dug up confirmed the use.  In late July I went back, carefully, to see the spot and there were MJ plants 7+ feet tall.  I counted paces on the way back out, noting landmarks, and sent an anonymous letter with directions to the Gardiner police.  I also told our stall biologist, also a good friend, and 2 days later he greeted me with, "Your patch made the cover of the Kennebec Journal!"  (Pic with officer shouldering a bunch of plants.)  The police called it a "nice patch", about 35 plants. 

We've also found the stuff growing on many of the Public Lands tracts, the biggest a field with ~1,500 plants just inside the east boundary of the large Scopan Unit, west from PQI, discovered by a Northern Region forester and forest tech.  The forester, probably the last person who would ever use, started jumping up and down and shouting, "We're rich!  We're rich!".  Then he radioed the sheriff's department.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Many years ago when I lived in Gardiner, I found a small (10'x20') fenced-in area while hunting in the 2,000' strip of woods between our house and the camps on Cobbossee Stream.  The holes where things had been dug up confirmed the use.  In late July I went back, carefully, to see the spot and there were MJ plants 7+ feet tall.  I counted paces on the way back out, noting landmarks, and sent an anonymous letter with directions to the Gardiner police.  I also told our stall biologist, also a good friend, and 2 days later he greeted me with, "Your patch made the cover of the Kennebec Journal!"  (Pic with officer shouldering a bunch of plants.)  The police called it a "nice patch", about 35 plants. 

We've also found the stuff growing on many of the Public Lands tracts, the biggest a field with ~1,500 plants just inside the east boundary of the large Scopan Unit, west from PQI, discovered by a Northern Region forester and forest tech.  The forester, probably the last person who would ever use, started jumping up and down and shouting, "We're rich!  We're rich!".  Then he radioed the sheriff's department.

How much money is 35 plants worth?

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Someone here might know, but I'm not that someone.  Also, this was about 30 years ago.

30 years ago it was worth 4 times what it’s worth now even with inflation. As the article posted clearly shows the market is saturated by illegal grows. Outdoor plants are generally worth considerably less, especially in a place like Maine which is far from mimicking their tropical originals even in summer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

30 years ago it was worth 4 times what it’s worth now even with inflation. As the article posted clearly shows the market is saturated by illegal grows. Outdoor plants are generally worth considerably less, especially in a place like Maine which is far from mimicking their tropical originals even in summer. 

There was an abandoned farm about 1/2 mile from my house, has an old colonial home and a big cow barn. Some guy bought it 4 years ago and never lived in the house. He decided to sell and the guy across the street asked me for my opinion on market value, since I'm an appraiser and he wanted to buy it. Turns out the guy used the cow barn for growing weed. You could see the set up and it still smelled, in fact before I knew this, I could smell it most times I drove by. The building is about 30-70, seems like he was making good money. He ended up changing his mind about selling and going by the smell when I drive by got the business going again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

How much money is 35 plants worth?

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Someone here might know, but I'm not that someone.  Also, this was about 30 years ago.

52 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Opposite, 30 yrs ago's strains were not that great of quality weed, You could by an oz for $20-40 and $80 max, (If it was Mexican or Colombian weed) Up until it was legalized a few years ago here, You could get $180-225/oz, One pound of weed was $2,800-3,600, Depending on the plant and the strain when your growing outdoors, Your yield could be half a pound to 2.0 lbs, I was getting 2.5lbs per plant when i was growing but i can grow anything and mix up my own soils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Opposite, 30 yrs ago's strains were not that great of quality weed, You could by an oz for $20-40 and $80 max, (If it was Mexican or Colombian weed) Up until it was legalized a few years ago here, You could get $180-225/oz, One pound of weed was $2,800-3,600, Depending on the plant and the strain when your growing outdoors, Your yield could be half a pound to 2.0 lbs, I was getting 2.5lbs per plant when i was growing but i can grow anything and mix up my own soils.

That's some decent money, didn't think there was money in gardening.

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

We will just have to differ without me divulging more information on higher end quantity prices on indoor quality (think white widow, it’s been around since the 80s) now, that kind of thc level can be found in mass grown plants. There are warehouses  in Oklahoma with so much product it rots before getting to market.  Those thc levels can be had for $800 a pound. In the 80s, sure there was cheap Mexican pack weed for similar prices, but something like white widow, was going for $3000.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We will just have to differ without me divulging more information on higher end quantity prices on indoor quality (think white widow, it’s been around since the 80s) now, that kind of thc level can be found in mass grown plants. There are warehouses  in Oklahoma with so much product it rots before getting to market.  Those thc levels can be had for $800 a pound. In the 80s, sure there was cheap Mexican pack weed for similar prices, but something like white widow, was going for $3000.

At 50 a quarter oz for the cheap now you do the math.  I grew 11ozs this year for edibles. 

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Back in the 70's-early 80's the quality of weed was not good up here, Of course there's a glut now, Every corner you turn here there is a retail store, And many indoor grow facility's, Theres more weed then people to smoke, vape or make edibles with it, I just bought 22 oz's of choc kush for $400.

15 hours ago, dryslot said:

When I worked at Napoli's Pizza in BGR (73-75), several co-workers smoked the stuff, and they said the price of $20/oz seemed inflation-proof.

In the summer of 1975, I worked as a research field assistant, intensively sampling dense stands of sapling-pole spruce-fir stands.  My partner like MJ though not on the job, and one week working Downeast on St. Regis land, the manager assigned us helpers from NYC (sort of a Fresh Air Fund thing).  After the last day's work there, the four ~20 y.o. guys invited us to where they were staying in East Machias and offered us weed.  I said no thanks, but my chum partook.  When we got back to the St. Regis field office where we'd stayed, he commented, "That was the goooood stuff!" and was thankful that I was driving as his time consciousness was messed up, such that he thought the truck would be going 100 mph and then 10 mph, back and forth.  :lol:

Weed cures all. We’d have a friendlier and more inclusive society if everyone puffed and chewed a little. 

Take care.  I read some recent research pointing to heart issues when it's smoked, can't recall any such info on edibles.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

When I worked at Napoli's Pizza in BGR (73-75), several co-workers smoked the stuff, and they said the price of $20/oz seemed inflation-proof.

In the summer of 1975, I worked as a research field assistant, intensively sampling dense stands of sapling-pole spruce-fir stands.  My partner like MJ though not on the job, and one week working Downeast on St. Regis land, the manager assigned us helpers from NYC (sort of a Fresh Air Fund thing).  After the last day's work there, the four ~20 y.o. guys invited us to where they were staying in East Machias and offered us weed.  I said no thanks, but my chum partook.  When we got back to the St. Regis field office where we'd stayed, he commented, "That was the goooood stuff!" and was thankful that I was driving as his time consciousness was messed up, such that he thought the truck would be going 100 mph and then 10 mph, back and forth.  :lol:

Weed cures all. We’d have a friendlier and more inclusive society if everyone puffed and chewed a little. 

Take care.  I read some recent research pointing to heart issues when it's smoked, can't recall any such info on edibles.

Smoking/inhaling anything ain’t good for you. Neither is chugging alcohol down your throat…or eating a cheeseburger from McDonalds. But we’re humans and we do all kinds of things to alter our minds and bodies. Whatever pleasures us. As long as it doesn’t negatively affect anyone else, go for it. 

• Like 6

I've thought about getting a telescope, but have no idea what type/brand to consider. I used to have one as a kid and it never got much use, which is why I hesitate on getting another one, only to use a few times then it sits there, but some of the images like above really get me interested in wanting to pursue it.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, alex said:

I’m headed to Iceland next week and they just shut down the blue lagoon because of a possible imminent eruption. Not sure if I’m disappointed or excited lol

My aunt and uncle were leaving there last week (THurs?) and were in their plane awaiting departure when they felt on of the stronger earthquakes. KEF isn't that far from the activity. They also had their Blue Lagoon ressies cancelled.  

Decent chance of a fissure opening within the town of Grindavik (pop 3700) which would suck

On 11/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, alex said:

I’m headed to Iceland next week and they just shut down the blue lagoon because of a possible imminent eruption. Not sure if I’m disappointed or excited lol

Alex,  I'm a volcano/earthquake nerd too.  I have been watching Iceland non stop.  As of today, Monday that whole area is closed and evacuated.  The good news is that the tremors are slowing down so the magma may not make it to the surface, hence no eruption.  Enjoy the Aurora's.  My sister in law just got back and Iceland was so much better than she had imagined. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I've thought about getting a telescope, but have no idea what type/brand to consider. I used to have one as a kid and it never got much use, which is why I hesitate on getting another one, only to use a few times then it sits there, but some of the images like above really get me interested in wanting to pursue it.

I was just like you. I like Astronomy and  I had a few cheap telescopes in my life but you really need a setup that tracks the objects.   I don't have the patience for  all that.  I have really wanted to see a galaxies and nebulas.  Then after Covid I heard about  these new smart telescopes.  They don't have an eye piece but connect to an app. I have the Vaonis Vespera.  The scope finds and slings  and tracks it. Does all the work.  You just select what you want to see and it finds it and starts sending images to your laptop or phone. I can set it up and sit inside and just watch from my easy chair.   It is pricy (about $1400) but wow.  I have seen so much.  Last night was clear and moonless so I set it up to capture the Andromena Galaxy.  It stacks the images to provide a bright high quality picture.  Even a dummy like me can use it.  Here is last nights picture resized down for the forum. (The original is much more detailed)

Andronema resized.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was just like you. I like Astronomy and  I had a few cheap telescopes in my life but you really need a setup that tracks the objects.   I don't have the patience for  all that.  I have really wanted to see a galaxies and nebulas.  Then after Covid I heard about  these new smart telescopes.  They don't have an eye piece but connect to an app. I have the Vaonis Vespera.  The scope finds and slings  and tracks it. Does all the work.  You just select what you want to see and it finds it and starts sending images to your laptop or phone. I can set it up and sit inside and just watch from my easy chair.   It is pricy (about $1400) but wow.  I have seen so much.  Last night was clear and moonless so I set it up to capture the Andromena Galaxy.  It stacks the images to provide a bright high quality picture.  Even a dummy like me can use it.  Here is last nights picture resized down for the forum. (The original is much more detailed)

Andronema resized.jpg

That’s sick! I think they just came out with the v2 version of that smart telescope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,  I'm a volcano/earthquake nerd too.  I have been watching Iceland non stop.  As of today, Monday that whole area is closed and evacuated.  The good news is that the tremors are slowing down so the magma may not make it to the surface, hence no eruption.  Enjoy the Aurora's.  My sister in law just got back and Iceland was so much better than she had imagined. 

My aunt and uncle were there last week   They were waiting for their plane to take off from KEF and felt an earthquake    They said it was pretty scary   My aunt is an avid photographer and has been there several times   This trip she left her gear at home and this was just with an iPhone outside her hotel   She said it was so bright 

IMG_4064.jpeg

• Like 2