Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

22 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Tons of acorns down here in the woods.  Lots of different species.  Not very many from the giant red oak near our driveway though.   Absolute bumper crop of hickory nuts this year.

Like you've noticed, most leaves around here look like crap.  Brown or spotted and diseased looking.

It’s definitely very noticeable and I noticed it well up into MA and SNH last week on my trip to Maine 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Same crap since June. 

Gum to knee.. one choice only .. would you choose this summer and plentiful rains , no watering etc.. or last summer with full on drought and Stein and watering daily , extra work , and loss of expensive shrubs, lawn etc.. 

You complained equally about both.. but choose one 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Gum to knee.. one choice only .. would you choose this summer and plentiful rains , no watering etc.. or last summer with full on drought and Stein and watering daily , extra work , and loss of expensive shrubs, lawn etc.. 

You complained equally about both.. but choose one 

Why can't it be less extreme? How about that. 

I'm no Hydrologist, but 35 to 50" of rain in 90 days seems like it should have observed more flood than just these sporadic townships with washed out roads and yard ponds dumping into cellars.

I wonder if the region is at a 'hydrostatic balance'?    The amount of water coming into the system is evenly matched ...more than less, by the amount leaving.  It's like a ton of rain just perfectly balanced right below the threshold of a regional flood concern.   I'm not talking about VT's thing, or this recent event in the Leominster area - as impressive and historic as they were, they were related more so to large amounts in shorter duration.  Short duration flooding is certainly augmented by preexisting wet conditions, but if the rain rate is sufficiently large it doesn't matter.   Leominster and VT would have happened either way.

Anyway, not trying to declare anything. This is really thinking out loud.  In the end, this is like staging SNE with a primed wick for flooding, and holding it there in perpetuity - like a highly unusual static length of time.  Such that we go so long without actually having a more regional flood take place.   If this continues into the autumn, then we buck CC with a brick earth winter (say...), that stage might be interesting later next March

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm no Hydrologist, but 35 to 50" of rain in 90 days seems like it should have observed more flood than just these sporadic townships with washed out roads and yard ponds dumping into cellars.

I wonder if the region is at a 'hydrostatic balance'?    The amount of water coming into the system is evenly matched ...more than less, by the amount leaving.  It's like a ton of rain just perfectly balanced right below the threshold of a regional flood concern.   I'm not talking about VT's thing, or this recent event in the Leominster area - as impressive and historic as they were, they were related more so to large amounts in shorter duration.  Short duration flooding is certainly augmented by preexisting wet conditions, but if the rain rate is sufficiently large it doesn't matter.   Leominster and VT would have happened either way.

Anyway, not trying to declare anything. This is really thinking out loud.  In the end, this is like staging SNE with a primed wick for flooding, and holding it there in perpetuity - like a highly unusual static length of time.  Such that we go so long without actually having a more regional flood take place.   If this continues into the autumn, then we buck CC with a brick earth winter (say...), that stage might be interesting later next March

Observed this as well. Property with a seasonal stream in Rhode Island that just cannot seem to flow despite all of this rain. Typically it will flow steady from Feb-March through July 4th, then pick back up October to December. With all the rain this summer its been primed but just cannot get it self moving. Quite puzzling actually, I have checked some of the detention ponds that feed it to see if there are any blockages and some of the other natural flows. Evidence of localized stream action but not enough organized, steady flow to feed the stream.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm also wondering if alot of these flooding we saw was a product of some pretty terrible drainage systems and the lack of care taken by towns/cities to make sure drains aren't clogged. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm also wondering if alot of these flooding we saw was a product of some pretty terrible drainage systems and the lack of care taken by towns/cities to make sure drains aren't clogged. 

I’m sure that’s part of it (because it takes a lot of work to clean thousands of catch basins) but there were a number of legit torrential rain events that would have caused flash flooding regardless. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m sure that’s part of it (because it takes a lot of work to clean thousands of catch basins) but there were a number of legit torrential rain events that would have caused flash flooding regardless. 

Don't doubt that at all but some of the drainage systems are horrific and it stems to when they were first constructed. 

I can't remember what stretch it was...it may have been 84 in and around Waterbury, but when it was first built the drainage systems lead to nowhere...it was just a bunch of catch basin but they lead to nowhere. I believe there was a huge lawsuit on this and what happened was there was a big bonus if the projected was completed by a certain date or year. So to save time the drainage systems were never completed. 

Over the past I'd say 10-15 years there has been a ton of work around the state to upgrade the systems but so many of the street drains are clogged with debris and it gets really worse in the fall with the leaves coming down. But better care with this could probably prevent at least some of the flooding which occurs. 

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No snow last winter to slowly melt into the water table.

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

This is one of those deals you kill for in the winter. Days and days if snows.. and the pivot and ULL just crawls out south of LI.. and the snow that was supposed to stop early morning just continues well into the night. This rain here won’t stop until overnight . And we should be well up over 2”

Was thinking the same thing…great precip set up for SNE/ and CT. This would have been an awesome three days of snows that gradually got steadier and heavy as it progressed. 

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

9-11" of rain in 4 hours will overwhelm just about any drainage system. Plus, in Leominster, a lot of damage was caused by the streams themselves overflowing their banks

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NScitRIWX said:

Observed this as well. Property with a seasonal stream in Rhode Island that just cannot seem to flow despite all of this rain. Typically it will flow steady from Feb-March through July 4th, then pick back up October to December. With all the rain this summer its been primed but just cannot get it self moving. Quite puzzling actually, I have checked some of the detention ponds that feed it to see if there are any blockages and some of the other natural flows. Evidence of localized stream action but not enough organized, steady flow to feed the stream.

Maybe it’s simply because there has t been all that much rain in reality? Localized flooding, sure. However, the region as a whole has been wet, but obviously nothing that can’t be handled