Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Any good historical temp sites to look back at the first two weeks of Sept say from 78-90 to see how it compares to this weeks heat? Just curious; I think so many are acclimated to AC in our cars and houses now vs then….

I like this site. Click view monthly charts

Here is BDL Sept 79

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/monthlysum.php?station=BDL&network=CT_ASOS

month_9__year_1979__station_BDL__network_CT_ASOS__dpi_100.thumb.png.b6b5df1a0b43fe6e2965ce838e998381.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Low 64.9°

Windows wide open again. It’s nice to really cool the house off again.  Still overcast and wet after a brief storm last night. Only had 0.06”. 

were you able to unstick the sheets from your fanny this morning?

way too dewey for me to open 'em up 

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Has anyone noticed all the trees with leaves just turning brown? Almost every species has a ton of browning leaves and dropping 

Yes.  I think (and Tamarack will correct me) that's due to the secondary leaf growth that happened after the May freeze that killed off some of the primary leaves.  I have a young Maple that dropped those secondary leaves two weeks ago, and have noticed it on several other oaks and maples around here.  I don't think it has anything to do with Stein or recent temps.

Up to 85F here already.  Reinstalled the beginning of the week and have had AC running on and off since Tuesday.  Off and out they go tomorrow.

18 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Anyone who thinks it was a cool summer spent too much time inside with the AC on too cold. 

Depends on whether one looks at highs or lows.  JJA max was 2.2° BN, 2nd lowest of 26 summers here, while min was 2.4° AN and a mere 0.03° from being our mildest.  Average was less than 0.1° AN and the median was almost exactly average.  It was the dews that made summer feel solidly AN.

Was in Phillips last evening, about 20 miles NW of home, and took in the most spectacular light show I'd seen since 2011 in DEC, at least 50 flashes per minute though nothing closer than 2 miles - high proportion of CC strikes?  (Though looking north while in Farmington, I saw a jagged CG, only bolt I've seen this year.)  We couldn't go much over 30 driving toward Farmington due to RA++, then hit dry road about 2/3 the way south, and not a drop at home until 0.05" came in the wee hours.

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Has anyone noticed all the trees with leaves just turning brown? Almost every species has a ton of browning leaves and dropping 

i have seen it on maples, birches, and what few ash trees are left. Oaks haven't dropped any, but they won't drop them til what, December?

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Any good historical temp sites to look back at the first two weeks of Sept say from 78-90 to see how it compares to this weeks heat? Just curious; I think so many are acclimated to AC in our cars and houses now vs then….

1999 and 2002 had early heat here, as did 2010 but only for 3 days.  In 1999 the first 9 days were in the 80s, topped by 89, and the 7th-8th had TDs 70+ and minima 68,69, easily the mildest Sept minima here - 3rd place is 65.  Sept 8-10, 2002 had highs 87/93/92, that middle day tied with 7/3/02 for the hottest I've had, here in the thick woods.  However, dews were closer to 60 for that heat.

Edit:  I've posted this before, but the Sept heat discussion makes it relevant - my first experience of football practice in pads came my HS sophomore year on Sept 1-2, 1961.  Double sessions both days, temps mid 90s, dews >70.  Most sweat I've ever yielded, challenged only by 2-session days at Johns Hopkins 4 years later with dews approaching 80.  But I was well used to pads by then.

Yes.  I think (and Tamarack will correct me) that's due to the secondary leaf growth that happened after the May freeze that killed off some of the primary leaves.  I have a young Maple that dropped those secondary leaves two weeks ago, and have noticed it on several other oaks and maples around here.  I don't think it has anything to do with Stein or recent temps.

I posted about surprising leaf drop yesterday on the L&G forum and have no solid reason for the leaf curl and drop.  It's occurring mostly on maple, birch and basswood, trees unaffected by the May freeze.  Does foliage in a given climate have a somewhat set duration, such that early leaf out causes early leaf drop?  I doubt it, as we've had earlier leaf-out seasons, and this is the most leaf falling in early Sept I can recall, including my years in Fort Kent.

• Like 2

As much as I love how New England has a change of seasons it does get super boring and summer in particular is really tough. Aside from winter nor'easters New England weather isn't exciting at all. Other areas of the country get many more extremes than us. Can't even get a significant severe weather event here in SE Mass or a brief, but exciting record-breaking summer heatwave akin to August 1975. I wish we could just get something interesting and anomalous for once. Granted, at least this isn't San Diego levels of boring but it's pretty close.

The weather enthusiast part of me wants to experience the thrill of a major hurricane, however the sensible homeowner part of me doesn't. But it's just not the same traveling to Florida to experience one as it is getting one in your own backyard.

I've heard that the return period for a major hurricane in New England is 70 years, but for all we know it could be much longer. I mean, between 1635 and 1815 New England didn't see a major.....imagine we have to wait another 100+ years to see another one since Carol was only 70 years ago? I never even got to see Bob in 1991. I wish that I had the opportunity to see a significant wind event firsthand at home but I have to accept that I might never.

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

As much as I love how New England has a change of seasons it does get super boring and summer in particular is really tough. Aside from winter nor'easters New England weather isn't exciting at all. Other areas of the country get many more extremes than us. Can't even get a significant severe weather event here in SE Mass or a brief, but exciting record-breaking summer heatwave akin to August 1975. I wish we could just get something interesting and anomalous for once. Granted, at least this isn't San Diego levels of boring but it's pretty close.

The weather enthusiast part of me wants to experience the thrill of a major hurricane, however the sensible homeowner part of me doesn't. But it's just not the same traveling to Florida to experience one as it is getting one in your own backyard.

I've heard that the return period for a major hurricane in New England is 70 years, but for all we know it could be much longer. I mean, between 1635 and 1815 New England didn't see a major.....imagine we have to wait another 100+ years to see another one since Carol was only 70 years ago? I never even got to see Bob in 1991. I wish that I had the opportunity to see a significant wind event firsthand at home but I have to accept that I might never.

That area has had the most severe this season. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, WJX231 said:

Where else gets routinely exciting weather year round?

The thing is each area of the country can get more extremes but all the extreme events don’t happen at the same place over and over.  So while it feels like you are missing out, just move somewhere else and watch 10 months of boring weather happen… while still watching extreme events happen around the country where you are not.