Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My recollection of Gloria is it wasn't all that bad. Nothingburger comes to mind. I do remember walking outside and being in the eye with bright sunshine and a rotating wall of white and grey framing a deep blue circle in the sky. That was pretty cool. 

I guess you were not old enough to remember it with much detail.  This was the worst storm to hit LI in the last quarter of the previous century.  

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

We got lucky in Long Beach since Gloria hit a low tide instead of high tide. It had a higher storm surge than Irene but Irene came in  at high tide. So the actual tide levels for both storms in Long Beach were the same. The wind gusts over portions of Eastern Long Island were estimated at 100+. 

I was in Oceanside and not right on the water. 

6 hours ago, nycwinter said:

gloria was much stronger as it passed newyork then irene..

I got 14" of rain here in Mahopac from Irene. 

1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

I guess you were not old enough to remember it with much detail.  This was the worst storm to hit LI in the last quarter of the previous century.  

I was 19 and had already earned my weather weenie badge hence the memory of the eye and how cool that was. I guess it was more significant east of western Nassau because I don't remember it being more than a windy, rainy day. 

1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

It was bad, but didnt it weaken before hitting and ultimately was not as bad as feared?

I remember a lot of trees down in Queens

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My recollection of Gloria is it wasn't all that bad. Nothingburger comes to mind. I do remember walking outside and being in the eye with bright sunshine and a rotating wall of white and grey framing a deep blue circle in the sky. That was pretty cool. 

Gloria crushed Suffolk county.