Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

15 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

I suppose this all depends on your goals. Do you want something to compliment what you already have in the Brahma (a stable and energetic carving/all mtn ski for sure) to unlock another side of your ski game OR do you want something similar to the Brahma that excels at many of the same things but in slightly different ways? Many people who opt to start to build a quiver go for the former. Another thing to consider is that a stiff ski 188cm long does preclude you from excelling at off piste or bump skiing to a degree, or at least makes it much more difficult to up your game if you're not already an expert. 

Having skied all three skis on your list, the Enforcers 94 and Mantra M6 will do well to accomplish the things your Brahmas are already good at with perhaps even more power and stability, just in a slightly wider package. Going for the Rustler 9 or even the 10 will allow you to experience a completely different side of the sport with their increased maneuverability and performance in slightly softer snow while still maintaining plenty of power and edge grip as long as things aren't too firm. Again, this is if your goal is to truly try a different type of ski and build a quiver that will allow you to enjoy a wider range of conditions. I would also strongly consider sizing down if going the Rustler route. While their increased tip and tail rocker mean you will have less effective edge, a shorter and wider ski with more rocker could be a game changer in trees/bumps/tighter terrain. 

good stuff thanks. After reading some online reviews my impression was the rustler was more like the brahma and the enforcer and mantra were mostly hard chargers that were similar to one another. My interpretation must be wrong or the reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. What I'd like is to be able to bomb down groomers with wide GS turns on edge, with good stability, little chatter and high confidence. At the same time, i want a ski that will turn quick on the steep stuff. The 188 brahmas are definitely too long for that but I got good deal on them several years ago and have managed. I was renting a 166 brahama before the 188 and that obviously turned much quicker. If the rustler is what I am after, what size would you suggest?

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

good stuff thanks. After reading some online reviews my impression was the rustler was more like the brahma and the enforcer and mantra were mostly hard chargers that were similar to one another. My interpretation must be wrong or the reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. What I'd like is to be able to bomb down groomers with wide GS turns on edge, with good stability, little chatter and high confidence. At the same time, i want a ski that will turn quick on the steep stuff. The 188 brahmas are definitely too long for that but I got good deal on them several years ago and have managed. I was renting a 166 brahama before the 188 and that obviously turned much quicker. If the rustler is what I am after, what size would you suggest?

Tough to accomplish both without some compromise one way or another but based on my experience the Rustler is a better all arounder than either the Brahma, Enforcer or Mantra. As far as length, 180cm would probably be ideal here. 

These guys are out of Stowe and put out really solid reviews. Wonder if PF knows them?

• Like 2

Hmmm... about Black Mountain of NH (Jackson) not Rumford Maine. I skied there on one of their last days (Saturday, March 18). Sad. The place is south facing and relatively low elevation and the majority of their trail acreage are open pasture that gets baked and is hard to hold snow. I kind of remember them getting off to a really late start last year. I'm betting their season pass sales were non-existent and the family either didn't want to take on debt or couldn't take more debt on. Frankly, hope it's the former and not the latter. I've only skied there a few times but heard when there was fresh snow and adequate base the mountain is super fun with some challenging terrain especially on the upper half of mountain. The father got into a big public fight a few years ago with the ski touring community and the Last Man Standing event left and moved to Black Mountain Maine. There are some homes on the side of the hill. It's too bad. Last March, I nordic skied at the ski touring center in the morning with my dog and then threw him in the car and picked up a 1/2 day downhill pass and skied the afternoon - it was a nice combo especially for locals.

13 hours ago, Angus said:

Hmmm... about Black Mountain of NH (Jackson) not Rumford Maine. I skied there on one of their last days (Saturday, March 18). Sad. The place is south facing and relatively low elevation and the majority of their trail acreage are open pasture that gets baked and is hard to hold snow. I kind of remember them getting off to a really late start last year. I'm betting their season pass sales were non-existent and the family either didn't want to take on debt or couldn't take more debt on. Frankly, hope it's the former and not the latter. I've only skied there a few times but heard when there was fresh snow and adequate base the mountain is super fun with some challenging terrain especially on the upper half of mountain. The father got into a big public fight a few years ago with the ski touring community and the Last Man Standing event left and moved to Black Mountain Maine. There are some homes on the side of the hill. It's too bad. Last March, I nordic skied at the ski touring center in the morning with my dog and then threw him in the car and picked up a 1/2 day downhill pass and skied the afternoon - it was a nice combo especially for locals.

North Conway market is bizarre. Enormous amount of skier visits to go around but mismanagement and lack of investment has the market heavily lopsided to cranmore and BW. New quad at attitash is a step in right direction for vail to try and get back visits lost. I think there is space for an indy like Black in NoCo but it’s an uphill battle. Mt Abram is a good comp - operating on borrowed time with old lifts and snowmaking infrastructure that can’t go on forever, and no real shot at the $20 million investment it will take to replace. I sometimes wonder if nonprofit would be the best route for some of these places (like Black Mountain of Maine)- lean heavily into access for local and underserved communities. Maybe a better shot at financing $20 million from private philanthropy and government grant programs. I wonder if Granite Backcountry Alliance (a 501) will take a real hard look at Black. 

5 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Too bad about Black.  I’ve had a few very good days there.  The terrain off their double is excellent.  Had a killer powder day there back in 2010. 18” on no base! 

Hard to compete in that market up there, every season seemed like their last.  Sad to see. 

I question how long Vail will hang on to Attitash?  They unfortunately end up being a snow hole of sorts so there is a combo of high ticket prices but marginal conditions. 
The people I know who have lodging up in North Conway tend to go to either Wildcat or Bretton Woods.  Sometimes they just take the 75 minute drive over to Sunday River. 

On 10/13/2023 at 4:14 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I question how long Vail will hang on to Attitash?  They unfortunately end up being a snow hole of sorts so there is a combo of high ticket prices but marginal conditions. 
The people I know who have lodging up in North Conway tend to go to either Wildcat or Bretton Woods.  Sometimes they just take the 75 minute drive over to Sunday River. 

When we stay in N Conway we drive right by Attitash that is usually half bare to ski Bretton woods which always has better snow. 

• Like 1

Will the Balsams project ever get finished?

I've been following along for a few years and would love to see it reopen but it's tough to say if it'll come to pass. The planned phases seem too big from my perspective.  If it was chopped up further, requiring less financing up front, they could potentially scale into the full project over a longer period of time rather than trying to lock it all in at once.  

44 minutes ago, mreaves said:

A guy got cutting a private trail in northern VT.  State settles timber trespass case with man who sought to create backcountry ski glades.  He cut in a state park south of Jay Peak.  There is a link in the story to the VT Backcountry Skiing Handbook.  This thing is 96 pages long!

FTA:  "I may have cut too far..."

"A few days later, state officials performed a site inspection and found that Tremonte had cut 839 trees on state land. "

That is some serious commitment to creating glades!

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

A guy got cutting a private trail in northern VT.  State settles timber trespass case with man who sought to create backcountry ski glades.  He cut in a state park south of Jay Peak.  There is a link in the story to the VT Backcountry Skiing Handbook.  This thing is 96 pages long!

If this is the one I'm thinking of, you can see the path from Big Jay.  I think he was trying to make a connection of some sort.

6 hours ago, Layman said:

FTA:  "I may have cut too far..."

"A few days later, state officials performed a site inspection and found that Tremonte had cut 839 trees on state land. "

That is some serious commitment to creating glades!

In Maine law, one of the penalty options is $3 per stump diameter inch.  If the average stump was 10", that would add up to over $25k.  (Triple stumpage is levied far more frequently.)

Looking to get a second set to add to quiver.  I am between a Elan Rip Stick 96 172cm and a Salomon QST92 168cm  I am 5'11 215 lbs.  I already have an Armada Declivity 82ti 182cm.  I am looking for a ski to make it easier for me to enjoy the glades with my sons and as my go to for our first trip out west .  Obviously I'll mostly be skiing on the NE (PA/NY/VT).

Thoughts on these two or potentially others for me?  I'd say I am an advanced skier that doesn't look to do anything crazy.  

11 hours ago, hazwoper said:

Looking to get a second set to add to quiver.  I am between a Elan Rip Stick 96 172cm and a Salomon QST92 168cm  I am 5'11 215 lbs.  I already have an Armada Declivity 82ti 182cm.  I am looking for a ski to make it easier for me to enjoy the glades with my sons and as my go to for our first trip out west .  Obviously I'll mostly be skiing on the NE (PA/NY/VT).

Thoughts on these two or potentially others for me?  I'd say I am an advanced skier that doesn't look to do anything crazy.  

I already expressed great admiration here for the QST92s that I have been skiing on for the past several years for everything from boot deep powder to hardpack, east and west.  The general reviews are quite good as well.  But you might consider a slightly longer ski than the 168s if you're 5'11". That sounds too short IMO.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, radarman said:

I already expressed great admiration here for the QST92s that I have been skiing on for the past several years for everything from boot deep powder to hardpack, east and west.  The general reviews are quite good as well.  But you might consider a slightly longer ski than the 168s if you're 5'11". That sounds too short IMO.  

Yeah, I'd probably go 176 for the QSTs.  Thinking of maybe just dumping my Declivity's and just using the QSTs for my all around ski......decisions decisions.

2 hours ago, hazwoper said:

Yeah, I'd probably go 176 for the QSTs.  Thinking of maybe just dumping my Declivity's and just using the QSTs for my all around ski......decisions decisions.

Declivity series one of the finest skis out there right now. I have skied and loved them in all waist widths. I still have a 102 in my quiver. Back to back with enforcer, mantra, stance, etc. I think it’s a better ski. Armada makes a great all mountain ski, starting with the invictus series, but their brand recognition and top sheet graphics have always been meh 

What are the chances that northern mountains turn on the guns next week? Just looking at Wildcat from Monday night onwards, a possible window to start, or way too soon?

Killington 100 percent..I’d bet many others use this window up top as well. Doesn’t look like any prolonged torches to wipe away what they make.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:45 PM, #NoPoles said:

How long does it take to assemble a new chairlift terminal, run a cable and hang chairs, and then pass a load test? Attitash is running out of time. Five weeks until they would normally open? They only jist started pouring the concrete footings.

Considering it takes concrete 28 days to cure, probably not this winter. 

Speaking of which, I expected to see Killington and Sunday River firing up the guns (which I assume they have), but not WV. I've always wondered why they didn't pound snow early on High Country. Maybe with the new snow making system and new 6 pack chair, and new surface lift to the top it was part of their plan. Way to go WV! 

WV.jpg

• Like 2