Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August model and weather disco

weathafella

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, I get that. The gloom can really get to you if we aren’t scoring anything and the prospects moving forward aren’t good.

This last winter was rough in that regard. We really didn’t even get model fodder. 

Weeks on end of clouds and 35-40 can be a grind.

I know some don't feel that way, but it's been noticeable for me over 40. Ratters will happen...but in those winters where we got some slightly AN snowfall...it came kind of quick, and then the rest of the winter we were left with our Schmenza in our hands.

It seems like we are either going to get a February 2015 (albeit rare) or stressed if not no winter at all… We’re not really getting much in between. I mean we do there’s been a couple big storms here in there obviously… As usual, I’m talking about “friend” trend, and it hasn’t been very friendly.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I think it’s age.  There’s a reason why people head for better sunnier places the older they get.  It’s not a coincidence a variety of folks on here are all having the same response as they age.  We all were like teens or 20s when we first got on the weather boards in like early 2000s.

I've thought about it being age too. It never really bothered me before (I mean the getting dark early always sucked) but the past several years it has really started too. But I think having a pretty solid winter would change that (at least for the season) 

One reason why I love hockey though...gets me through winter. Given how much winter sucked last year locally, the Bruins season really got me through the winter :lol:  

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think it’s age.  There’s a reason why people head for better sunnier places the older they get.  It’s not a coincidence a variety of folks on here are all having the same response as they age.  We all were like teens or 20s when we first got on the weather boards in like early 2000s.

I think people move (When they are older ) much more because they never liked snow and now they have the financial and career freedom to do so 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think people move (When they are older ) much more because they never liked snow and now they have the financial and career freedom to do so 

I enjoy snow and winter but the older I get the more I envision heading south at some point-the 5 months of gloom and early sunsets is a bit much here...

• Weenie 1

I’m hoping to spend some time over the winter away from New England but I say that every year and never go.   I don’t like Florida but I’d consider Arizona, Hawaii, or maybe even Australia for the effect of summer in our winter.   I’m ok with winter as long as we don’t get ice.   The problem is even good snow years yield to ice in the freeze thaw cycle and if I can’t walk at least 5 miles a day I’m in danger of losing my mind.

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I've said it a million times, I would leave for mud season but other than that, I'm fine.

I get the sentiment from folks that winters can drag, especially if it’s not a good snow year. However, there isn’t much that’s appealing to me about being confined inside with AC because it’s 95/79 10 months out of the year either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I get the sentiment from folks that winters can drag, especially if it’s not a good snow year. However, there isn’t much that’s appealing to me about being confined inside with AC because it’s 95/79 10 months out of the year either.

At least you can go outside to the pool and beach, go fishing..... The problem with 40s is it's just useless weather, unless it's splitting firewood or blowing leaves. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You really need to be near the ocean if you're in the deep south. I loved 93/75 with an ocean breeze at APF...93/75 at GNV was a different story.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

If you got a boat or are at the beach it’s one thing and usually cooler otherwise that weather is pointless without water nearby 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoCORH4L said:

At least you can go outside to the pool and beach, go fishing..... The problem with 40s is it's just useless weather, unless it's splitting firewood or blowing leaves. 

Your not walking across your patio in FL in July to go in your pool, That i can tell you first hand as i have fiends down there that say its so hot you can't walk on it, They stay inside because of the heat in AC.

• Weenie 3

23 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

5 years in NC and I can tell you the heat and humidity are relentless. The same way people feel about getting depressed when the sun sets early, cold, etc, up here is how I was starting to feel about summer down there. 4 months or so of pain.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Your not walking across your patio in FL in July to go in your pool, That i can tell you first hand as i have fiends down there that say its so hot you can't walk on it, They stay inside because of the heat in AC.

Lol

I lived there for 10 years . Never met a patio that was a problem keeping someone from a pool , nobody has this problem outside of maybe shady acres . Most are screened in . It’s mid 90’s and humidity or low 90’s at beach . Maybe it’s an issue in Vegas at 115

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nah it's always the ones who only Charlie Brown snow. Winter sports enthusiasts love winter no matter the age.

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Lol

I lived there for 10 years . Never met a patio that was a problem keeping someone from a pool , nobody has this problem outside of maybe shady acres . Most are screened in . It’s mid 90’s and humidity or low 90’s at beach . Maybe it’s an issue in Vegas at 115

Are you there this year?

There's lots of absolutes in this thread. In reality I like both, but I feel more alive during the warm season. Of course every season has its pros and cons and we all weigh the variables differently. I just find winter to linger too long as I age and we don't get many breaks up here like the SNEers get. While Ginxy, DIT, and Scoot are popping a 65F warm sector in Jan I'm usually 34F with 1/4sm fog. The darkness is pretty relentless up here Nov-Apr. The chickens are a lot easier to tend in the warm season and I've really gotten into the orcharding the last 5 years too.

I grew up obsessed with snow, but don't care about it as much as I get older. I think we all love a good storm, but most of the events are just a PITA. Just give me enough to keep the ground insulated from the brutal cold and I'm good.

I want western mountain winters.  It’s either dumping snow or it’s high pressure sunny and 40F.  It gets cold to precipitate, but then the sun comes out.  Also like a mid-Atlantic sun angle in CO to UT to Tahoe… not as dark as NNE.  Here it seems to be dark and cold then warms up to precipitate.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I mean 48F and rain at the picnic tables under the cold pool with orographic showers is pretty far the other way too for the last day of July.

Jacket and colder than I’d like up here.  Hard to find a middle ground.  It’s either torch and humid or deep trough.

31093FFE-5B25-4801-B485-E753AE0360A8.thumb.jpeg.8ccb4294022dafb54eff06dda9a744eb.jpeg

you actually have CBs rollen over the ridge lines though - "little" more than just oreographic.  Probably some vaguely described impulse adding some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Are you there this year?

i landed in PBI but then turned around as the tarmac was melting . My sister and her family live in Florida I mean maybe it’s 2f above average? They pool . Same with my friends in SE Fl , not avoiding pool due to patio heat . It’s always hot there from May to October with 70’s dews . 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Open ocean? 

It’s similar to 2’nd beach in Newport , there is a slight bay component . Nantucket S side is 67 today . Must be shallow here , water is actually mild . Some little terd stung me on back of my leg ..laying down , not sure what is biting here but damn that was not relaxing 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

There's lots of absolutes in this thread. In reality I like both, but I feel more alive during the warm season. Of course every season has its pros and cons and we all weigh the variables differently. I just find winter to linger too long as I age and we don't get many breaks up here like the SNEers get. While Ginxy, DIT, and Scoot are popping a 65F warm sector in Jan I'm usually 34F with 1/4sm fog. The darkness is pretty relentless up here Nov-Apr. The chickens are a lot easier to tend in the warm season and I've really gotten into the orcharding the last 5 years too.

I grew up obsessed with snow, but don't care about it as much as I get older. I think we all love a good storm, but most of the events are just a PITA. Just give me enough to keep the ground insulated from the brutal cold and I'm good.

That sums it up. I love snow and winter and even a 6" storm will get the mojo going, but I feel more alive as you said when it is warmer. 

But I also can't just up and move like pickles can. Maybe if I was single I'd buy a shallow burial ground at 2K in VT...but I am grounded near BOS for multiple reasons. I'm also someone who likes to do things and the thought of being by myself in a cabin just for upslope snow is disturbing. I need some sort of civilization. 

• Haha 3