Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August model and weather disco

weathafella

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s great if I’m laying down pavement, sure. 

Do you actually do any type of outdoor activity? I played 30 holes of golf. Biking, hiking, lawn work, going to an amusement park or even just wandering around some town’s shops and restaurants. As for swimming, your kids are young enough that this weather is plenty warm enough for them. Man, you’re bringing out the Ginx in me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Today was a beauty for any activity outside except swimming; tons of opportunities for adventure without chaffing.

Yeah the seaweed was pretty brutal around low tide in chatham. I’m thinking the storms on Friday really turned up the water enough to spit some of that nastiness towards the shore. Either way, a perfect day for spending time outside, wherever you are. 

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Do you actually do any type of outdoor activity? I played 30 holes of golf. Biking, hiking, lawn work, going to an amusement park or even just wandering around some town’s shops and restaurants. As for swimming, your kids are young enough that this weather is plenty warm enough for them. Man, you’re bringing out the Ginx in me. 

I’m BSing a bit too. Like I said inthe other thread, yesterday was a nice change. Kids went swimming at a pool party. I do outdoor stuff when I can.

I don’t mind the dews when I’m doing that. I don’t have 4K mtns in my backyard so I can see why some prefer lower temps. I just enjoy the summer vibe of warmth and dews. Used to hate it back in the day, but I have more fun in the summer vs winter, as much as I love snow. The cold season is slowly dwindling down so I’m enjoying warmer summers instead.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

I mean cmon I was swimming yesterday it was 78⁰ in full sun. The Sally class grows by the day. Yes Mr Eaves you are 100% correct.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

47 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I mean cmon I was swimming yesterday it was 78⁰ in full sun. The Sally class grows by the day. Yes Mr Reaves you are 100% correct.

Most of the National Seashore beaches had red flags up yesterday, with good sized but low period blown out storm surf on light easterly flow.   Race point however was yellow flag and we were getting strong 5 footers breaking and washing up the beach nicely.  Not true body surfing, but not a crashing beach break either.  They were sending folks flying along the sand with a little exfoliation to boot.  Anyway it was low 70s and clear, water mid to upper 60s that far north.  Felt great. 

• Like 2

I always just liked observing interesting Meteorological events. Let's be clear, interesting includes the 'dramatic.'  I just am not in wait and/or limited to the specter value, entirely. Observing them in California through media or anecdote was always just okay. Physical relevancy between Buffalo and Halifax was preferable.

How that has changed over the years is that when I was a younger, I would tend to sullen if the "interesting event" violated the sanctity of the season hosting. I didn't want record breaking warmth in winters ... nor cold in summers. These were the only reasons I would turn off The Weather Channel. I couldn't bear it. Worst yet, where I tended to sullen ... I more demonstratively groused if Walter Drag set us up for one of his patented 1987 cryo dystopian horror-casts, only to awaken to dim sun and flurries in 12 F 35 mph, may-as-well-have-been frontal nudity winds, while walking to a school that never should have been. 

That stuff really doesn't bother me so much anymore. 

Although, I have maintained a particular despise for any span of winter whence the cold gets thick, yet there's an interminable absence of any activity. I guess while on the subject ... there are two types of weather that get me dreaming about that 2nd home abroad. That,  and the endless days of 39 F still fog/strata/rains in Aprils...  In fact, let's go ahead and elect out of that entire month? Everything important that has ever happened in either human or non-human history, it's all particularly loathsome just because "April" was a part of them, say.  Man, if we could ever choose anything, avoiding captive audience to the month a Asshole would set us right.  

You know how Samuel Clemens once famously mused, "...The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Fransisco" ?  I can easily imagine somewhere out there, some fist to sky then furiously types their own ideologues about personal climate tragedy of Bay Area summers, much in same vein as I do springs east of the Hudson now.  I just don't have quite clever enough turn of phrase at the moment to pen a Twainer about this ... Maybe the very best New England spring I ever experienced was an April on Mars.

... Sorry if I'm being vague about my real feelings in the matter... Either those two scenarios if I were god ... unending numbing winter cold with no activity; April in New England.  

If I could just learn to zen, to separate my psyche from expectations whence in the midst of either of those prison terms, I will have at last achieved Nirvana as a true appreciator of weather's artistry.  Alas, although I have come a long way, I don't think I will ever find peace with either of those scenarios - maybe the cold banality of a stormless winter has the best shot of forgiveness. As to the original point, I no longer am constraining fascination to some sort of seasonal expectation framework - have found it in snow in May, and 80 in February, two scenarios that have actually been increasing in frequency ... right in the same path of history with my having changed my perspective on matters.  That's pretty fantastically lucky - or unlucky depending on one's responsible perspective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radarman said:

Nice to the see the EPS last night keep that -EPO ridge and weak -NAO to help suppress heights a little longer into August

The pattern change is complete. AWT. Sure it will mild up with warmer dews but July is gone. Gone like the freight train, gone like yesterday. 

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, radarman said:

Most of the National Seashore beaches had red flags up yesterday, with good sized but low period blown out storm surf on light easterly flow.   Race point however was yellow flag and we were getting strong 5 footers breaking and washing up the beach nicely.  Not true body surfing, but not a crashing beach break either.  They were sending folks flying along the sand with a little exfoliation to boot.  Anyway it was low 70s and clear, water mid to upper 60s that far north.  Felt great. 

Friday was the pentacle of this summer so far. Steady 15 mph west wind with 4 to 6 foot swells. Water was 72 crystal clear. Beached from 9 to 5. Only issue was the massive search offshore for the missing teen. They still haven't found him. My suspicion is he is halfway to Block Island , super super rip Thursday headed straight that way. That sucks. Hate to see it. Today is another winner.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will be a lot of upper 80s and higher dews. This is gone after Thursday. 

We can deal with BN next 5 days then normal next 5. Modeling keeps pushing the ridge back to post day 10. Post day 10 is dewy and very warm but let's see if that holds. Dewy days are rainy days in the mean time. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Friday was the pentacle of this summer so far. Steady 15 mph west wind with 4 to 6 foot swells. Water was 72 crystal clear. Beached from 9 to 5. Only issue was the massive search offshore for the missing teen. They still haven't found him. My suspicion is he is halfway to Block Island , super super rip Thursday headed straight that way. That sucks. Hate to see it. Today is another winner.

Friday and Saturday had great rideable surf at the cape with afternoon low tides.  Low/mid 60s water temps.  Both Coast Guard Beach and Marconi have sandbars well offshore.  Have to swim across a 40-50 yard gut entirely over your head with waves reforming a bit to get out to it, but then knee deep and perfect once you get there.  Tons of people including many small kids were game for it, but I was thinking it'd be interesting if there were a shark sighting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m BSing a bit too. Like I said inthe other thread, yesterday was a nice change. Kids went swimming at a pool party. I do outdoor stuff when I can.

I don’t mind the dews when I’m doing that. I don’t have 4K mtns in my backyard so I can see why some prefer lower temps. I just enjoy the summer vibe of warmth and dews. Used to hate it back in the day, but I have more fun in the summer vs winter, as much as I love snow. The cold season is slowly dwindling down so I’m enjoying warmer summers instead.  

We kid and joke but even if I was living where you are I’d prefer 80/50 all summer like Will/ORH.

The mountains don’t have much to do with it to be honest, just the activities that folks do out-of-doors from biking, tennis, golf, pickle ball or whatever… watching your kids at a park or playground has to be nicer yesterday than when it’s 90/72.  Walking around Boston, even a backyard BBQ gathering without a pool.

Yesterday already gave me that brief autumn feel which was hard for the body and mind to not think about darker days, and fading light.  It was sort of weird, had that like going back to school feel when you were a kid with a cool breeze. Funny how visceral some the weather can be.

Can totally appreciate just wanting the vibe though… over trying to say heat and humidity is preferred because of the off-chance you get too close to the edge and fall into Boston Harbor, and you won’t be cold when you climb out. 

lol

Today: Showers and thunderstorms before 4pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 4pm and 5pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5pm. High near 76. Light southwest wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 7pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday Night: Patchy fog after 5am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 50. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 75. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 53.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61.

Friday: Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 75.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 78.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We kid and joke but even if I was living where you are I’d prefer 80/50 all summer like Will/ORH.

The mountains don’t have much to do with it to be honest, just the activities that folks do out-of-doors from biking, tennis, golf, pickle ball or whatever… watching your kids at a park or playground has to be nicer yesterday than when it’s 90/72.  Walking around Boston, even a backyard BBQ gathering without a pool.

Yesterday already gave me that brief autumn feel which was hard for the body and mind to not think about darker days, and fading light.  It was sort of weird, had that like going back to school feel when you were a kid with a cool breeze. Funny how visceral some the weather can be.

Can totally appreciate just wanting the vibe though… over trying to say heat and humidity is preferred because of the off-chance you get too close to the edge and fall into Boston Harbor, and you won’t be cold when you climb out. 

Couple more shit winters and I'll be in FL. The season is too long for weeks of 40 and rain. So I just appreciate that tropical FL vibe in summer. At least summers have been producing. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Couple more shit winters and I'll be in FL. The season is too long for weeks of 40 and rain. So I just appreciate that tropical FL vibe in summer. At least summers have been producing. 

What have you had 1 bad winter in a row? :lol:

It’s been swamp ass for a month, I’ll take a few days of clean air.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What have you had 1 bad winter in a row? :lol:

It’s been swamp ass for a month, I’ll take a few days of clean air.

I mean overall from Nov-Mar. 4 weeks of winter surrounded by ass. I just find the season long and depressing when we go for weeks without anything good. I'm not looking at it from overall snowfall. I love winter, but I find it tough to deal with when things aren't scattered throughout the season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean overall from Nov-Mar. 4 weeks of winter surrounded by ass. I just find the season long and depressing when we go for weeks without anything good. I'm not looking at it from overall snowfall. I love winter, but I find it tough to deal with when things aren't scattered throughout the season.

Ever since COVID happened I find the season much more depressing. Maybe it was the lockdowns and not really being able to go anywhere or doing something. Of course I've also really had shit for snow the past several years and that hasn't helped. Having an active winter with plenty of snow events would go along way. 

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah my wife has been saying those same things as she gets older, lol. Like if it’s not going to be a solid winter it’s just a very long period of gray skis and darkness that gets old after 6 months a year.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, I get that. The gloom can really get to you if we aren’t scoring anything and the prospects moving forward aren’t good.

This last winter was rough in that regard. We really didn’t even get model fodder. 

Weeks on end of clouds and 35-40 can be a grind.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Ever since COVID happened I find the season much more depressing. Maybe it was the lockdowns and not really being able to go anywhere or doing something. Of course I've also really had shit for snow the past several years and that hasn't helped. Having an active winter with plenty of snow events would go along way. 

I think it’s age.  There’s a reason why people head for better sunnier places the older they get.  It’s not a coincidence a variety of folks on here are all having the same response as they age.  We all were like teens or 20s when we first got on the weather boards in like early 2000s.

• Like 1