Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August model and weather disco

weathafella

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Tomorrow is going to be quite interesting. Biggest challenge is going to be where that sfc low develops and tracks which is going to be heavily influenced by the Ohio Valley/Tennessee Valley convection. I would think the most favorable track for this would be just south of southern New England, but is it across Long Island or just south of Long Island?

In terms of any severe weather potential, this track is key because if the track is across Long Island, the true warm sector and triple point will likely scoot across southern Connecticut, Long Island, Rhode Island, and Cape Cod. There would be potential for some brief tornadoes. If the track is south of Long Island, severe potential is nada (except maybe Nantucket and the Vineyard). 

Regardless, I think we're in line for some flash flooding rainfall. upper-level dynamics are pretty strong and we look to be in a very favored position for enhanced upper-level divergence. Looks like H7 warm front pushes well into the region which will aid in lift as well. In addition, we'll have the nose of a strong low-level jet and a very moist airmass. 

All kidding aside, tomorrow does have the look of another heavy precipitation event in SNE, provided the low doesn’t slide as far south as the earlier Euro depicted. 

For CT, I don’t think we get a low north enough to warm sector and bring a severe threat, but SE MA maybe? 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

All kidding aside, tomorrow does have the look of another heavy precipitation event in SNE, provided the low doesn’t slide as far south as the earlier Euro depicted. 

For CT, I don’t think we get a low north enough to warm sector and bring a severe threat, but SE MA maybe? 

Yeah I don't think we see the true warm sector get very far north at all. But the widespread rain threat is very real given dynamics and strong upper-level divergence. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah I don't think we see the true warm sector get very far north at all. But the widespread rain threat is very real given dynamics and strong upper-level divergence. 

I'm sure we're going to see flash flood watches for many areas given the wet conditions that already exist in most areas

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm sure we're going to see flash flood watches for many areas given the wet conditions that already exist in most areas

Seems like a good bet, especially if there is a great deal of consistency with the 12z guidance. 

This could be quite bad though if some of these scenarios verify. Luckily this should be more on the progressive side, but this is a situation where 2-3'' of rain could fall within a short amount of time. Sometimes its not about the rainfall totals, but how much is falling within a certain duration. I could see a narrow area though of 4-6''+ depending on how this materializes. 

3 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Could this potentially turn into one of those deals where months later it’s determined the low had acquired some tropical characteristics and was actually a depression/low end storm? I think this happened just a couple of years ago 

I don’t think so. Everything about this looks non-tropical to me. 

For that kind of scenario you really want a low to pop off the SE coast, acquire tropical characteristics, and tangle with a trough as it rolls NE.

natlanti.cf.gif

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think it's a totally outlandish solution. That trough is continuing to amplify and interacts with the shortwave energy associated with that convection. Kind of has a fall/winter feel to it with the dynamics and interactions...idk

Feels like fall/winter dynamics. Irrelevant but the Gondola up here is on wind hold for WNW winds of up to 65mph at 4,000ft.  Looks like MWN gusting to 80mph.

Very rare to get that wind speed in the summer months up here to impact operations, that’s a winter thing.

Shows sort of where the atmosphere is right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Feels like fall/winter dynamics. Irrelevant but the Gondola up here is on wind hold for WNW winds of up to 65mph at 4,000ft.

Very rare to get that wind speed in the summer months up here, that’s a winter thing.

Wow that's quite impressive for sure. 

The atmosphere is certainly going to be juiced. We're looking at PWAT values once again between 1.70-2.00'' so it isn't going to take much to ring out the atmosphere. We've all seen first hand what even "tiny showers" produce in terms of rainfall rates in this type of airmass. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

What's that weird spot west from BGR?  Somebody's thermometer next to the exhaust of their heat pump motor?

August 1-8 is 4.5° BN here.  Storm total was 3.51", second only to Irene (4.41") for August downpours, 1998 on.

What data are those maps from...PWS?

I wonder if there is one PWS in the center of that bullseye (looks to be Dover-Foxcroft) that is running hot, and maybe there aren't any others nearby, so they extrapolate outwards a certain radius. 

6 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I wonder if there is one PWS in the center of that bullseye (looks to be Dover-Foxcroft) that is running hot, and maybe there aren't any others nearby, so they extrapolate outwards a certain radius. 

You can also see the SST influence east of HYA.

41 minutes ago, tunafish said:

D-F is a good guess, maybe Charleston (at the minimum security lockup?) and I'm sure you're correct about the extrapolation.  The weirdness is that it's 7-8° warmer than its surroundings.  I can't recall seeing such an anomaly before.

Feels like fall/winter dynamics. Irrelevant but the Gondola up here is on wind hold for WNW winds of up to 65mph at 4,000ft.  Looks like MWN gusting to 80mph.

Very rare to get that wind speed in the summer months up here to impact operations, that’s a winter thing.

It happens.  On July 20, 1996 MWN had a 24-hour average wind speed of 99 mph with a gust to 154, easily their windiest event in met summer.  Two friends were married that Saturday in South Gardiner near the Kennebec, and the reception was outside in a large tent held down by 4-foot steel bars.  We had to periodically pound them down as the wind tried to make the tent go airborne - gusts probably 50+ for hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think it's a totally outlandish solution. That trough is continuing to amplify and interacts with the shortwave energy associated with that convection. Kind of has a fall/winter feel to it with the dynamics and interactions...idk

Yeah was more about how wild the solution is lol.

• Like 1