• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

The models have lost their minds for the next 36 hours!!!!   The 18z NAM gives me 4 inches of rain and the 3z NAM gives me .25"....................... This type of discrepancy is unacceptable in today's world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stormy said:

The models have lost their minds for the next 36 hours!!!!   The 18z NAM gives me 4 inches of rain and the 3z NAM gives me .25"....................... This type of discrepancy is unacceptable in today's world. 

Welcome to mesoscale forecasting. 

56 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Darkening clouds over my house in ashburn. Let’s see if they do produce. Not holding my breath though

edit: gusty winds. So maybe

Light shower. Enough to wet the surface, but not the soil. Will only increase humidity 

18 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Welcome to mesoscale forecasting. 

I do this all the time with a 2 , 3 or 4 model blend for my newsletter.

I have often wondered about the sometimes wide ranging differential under 48 hours.

I understand that interpretation of atmospherics is crucial, but monumental variance is surprising.

29 minutes ago, stormy said:

I do this all the time with a 2 , 3 or 4 model blend for my newsletter.

I have often wondered about the sometimes wide ranging differential under 48 hours.

I understand that interpretation of atmospherics is crucial, but monumental variance is surprising.

2 hours ago, stormy said:

The 18z 12 NAM is already a bust. On to the 3K.

I always considered the Nam (and especially the 3k) as a tool to use to get an idea of whether there will be any convection, but I don’t find it as useful for determining where it will actually occur.

Morning AFD on heavy rain threat from Mount Holly-

Heavy Rain/Flash flooding: There are a lot of factors increasing our concern with the heavy rain threat. For much of the region, models depict precipitable water values around 2 inches which is above the 90th percentile for this time of year. Additionally, the warm cloud layer should be between 10K and 14K ft through much of this period (meaning storms will be far more efficient with heavy rain rates). While storm motions will be slightly faster than what we`ve seen the last few days (generally 10 to 20 mph), but depending on how quickly the low lifts northeast, there could be potential for training storms as the mean cloud layer flow is expected to be parallel to the front for much of the period. Given the increasing concern for flash flood potential, expanded the flood watch to include the entire area. Although flash flood guidance is generally higher in southern DE, adjacent areas of MD, and SE NJ, concern is for flooding along the more flash flood vulnerable coastal and tidal areas.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Let's see if my drought-stricken area can finally cash in.  I have just 0.85 for July after a very dry June.  I also have not seen 1" in a day in ages.  This just feels like another 0.2 or less deal.

Leesburg has been in a tiny little precip hole too. We're sitting at a measly 0.5" for the month as everything seems to be collapsing just before getting here. I'm optimistic about today though... things will ultimately even out:)

This rainfall estimate from the past 72 hours shows that hole pretty well. 

Sidenote... why did iWeather stop letting you actually zoom in on their maps? Makes them far less useful

Screenshot_20230709_074529_Brave.jpg

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Leesburg has been in a tiny little precip hole too. We're sitting at a measly 0.5" for the month as everything seems to be collapsing just before getting here. I'm optimistic about today though... things will ultimately even out:)

This rainfall estimate from the past 72 hours shows that hole pretty well. 

Sidenote... why did iWeather stop letting you actually zoom in on their maps? Makes them far less useful

Screenshot_20230709_074529_Brave.jpg

We went to the Tarara winery near Leesburg last night and the ground was dry as a bone there - even worse than my micro-desert.

I really miss the zoomable iweather rainfall map!  I don't even use it any more.

27 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I never like being on the southern edge of any meso discussion…and the orientation and movement on radar isn’t changing that feeling.

Picked up a quick 0.15” yesterday and would be happy with some good mom-stormy rains today.

Same feeling this has all the makings for 0.04" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Severe Thunderstorm Watch coming out for Carroll, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Cecil, and Harford counties until 6pm.

Just took down a portable canopy, brought in pool floats, etc. woo storms 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic