Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The other thing that’s noticeable.. dews in the 60’s are now called dry and comfortable by folks on this board , when in fact that is humid. A dew over is humid yet we now have that called COc k and folks opening windows and saying fans are fine . So the average New Englander has now acclimated to high dews . This is all part of the dew shift north 

Didn’t you install Air Conditioning when the temp hit 60F in April and started wearing shorts and tees. Now the talk is cold and about wearing hoodies and shawls if the temp goes below 70F in the evening.

Of course the body acclimates.

Aside from busting balls, a sunny March day at 50F feels like summer… 50F in Sept/Oct feels frigid.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Didn’t you install Air Conditioning when the temp hit 60F in April and started wearing shorts and tees. Now the talk is cold and about wearing hoodies and shawls if the temp goes below 70F in the evening.

Of course the body acclimates.

Aside from busting balls, a sunny March day at 50F feels like summer… 50F in Sept/Oct feels frigid.

Actually, in this case, you’re both, right…

Once people acclimate they act very definitive about their space they’re in and they do it in here. It’s something I’ve actually noticed but I do you know I’m not getting involved in that sense.  I don’t really give a shit. But you’re also right tho that he’s tended to move goal posts in the past so that he’s in the self-absolving side. Gee, ya tink so. 

I think COC is an acronym for chamber of commerce? At least that’s how I remember it… Anyway, I have read people refer Chamber of Commerce weather lately with dpoints in the low 60s - which if you wanna be fair to what that means it’s supposed to be I think 72 over 52 give or take. 

but then again, you could also go by the philosophy of who the hell cares… If you’re acclimated to pig balls dewpoints, and all the sudden, it’s down to 63 and it feels very comfortable to you then it shouldn’t matter. 
Jesus Christ, we need lives.,.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I will always believe that oppressive starts at 70° dews. I’d slide those numbers down a bit as a result. 

Here’s the thing though. Even 5-6 years ago. Any dew over 60 was humid.It didn’t matter if it was 64/63 or 92/63  Now.. you have posters here calling that cool and comfy. Window fans keeping it cool .. and it’s Coc k. So what has happened is as we have morphed into a more Southern type climate .. people are becoming acclimated. Now 70+ is humid and requires installs, but under that is now not humid .  I just find the whole evolution funny and fascinating. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

I’m getting intense déjà vu as we have the same conversation every. single. summer.

Its humid as balls for a while and then dews drop from 73F to 60-62F and it feels much nicer out.  Someone mentions it feels good and then a certain poster finds it funny that a dew of 61F is now comfortable.

Every year. Without fail.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m getting intense déjà vu as we have the same conversation every. single. summer.

Its humid as balls for a while and then dews drop from 73F to 60-62F and it feels much nicer out.  Someone mentions it feels good and then a certain poster finds it funny that a dew of 61F is now comfortable.

Every year. Without fail.

When you’re installing at Stowe .. you know things have changed . Mic drop 

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When you’re installing at Stowe .. you know things have changed . Mic drop 

Oh for sure I agree it seems more humid these days. We had A/C always just was loud and not efficient. So weighing that against comfort… it had to be real bad to put up with the loud unit… now it’s quite and efficient so the equation changes.

I’m just commenting on the fact that every summer we have this period where it’s humid then dews drop to 60-62F, someone says it’s COC, you say my the goalposts have changed, etc.

I’ll bet you a 4-pack we do the discussion again next summer that it gets humid or hot, then it drops back and someone says it’s nice out.  You’ll say dews are still 60F and we can relive it again :lol:.

• Haha 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Oh for sure I agree it seems more humid these days.

I’m just commenting on the fact that every summer we have this period where it’s humid then dews drop to 60-62F, someone says it’s COC, you say my the goalposts have changed, etc.

I’ll bet you a 4-pack we do the discussion again next summer that it gets humid or hot, then it drops back and someone says it’s nice out.  You’ll say dews are still 60F and we can relive it again :lol:.

Well honestly I’d make that bet.. but when I go up there on business and extend invites to grab beers and only get crickets thrown back .. I pull back my hand 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Winters are getting shorter and summer more humid.  Better off to ride the train instead of being late to board.

Biggest temperature acclimation memory I have was Feb 2015.  Felt like it had been between 10F and -35F for like weeks.  I distinctly remember a day with a high of like 21F that felt like it was full-on spring.  Everyone skiing and showing their faces, actual exposed skin, ha.  Everyone was so happy and warm.  And yet it was still only like low-20s.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Not sure why I thought of it but I can imagine the mold is pretty nasty in Vermont and Western Massachusetts. Days on end of flooding and humid weather.

We have a basement dehumidifier that we bought last year.  It has been running almost nonstop to try to keep it somewhat dry down there.   We get some water seepage in the basement in big rain events so it’s been hard. 

• Like 4

I’ve been seeing quite a few earwigs, spiders and bunches of black ants popping up lately. That’s pretty much the most obvious sign of just how steamy it’s been as of late. Plus the moisture from recent rains always seems to bring the critters out of the woodwork. No matter which metric you use to determine the extent of dewiness in the land of humans, the animal world leaves little doubt as to just how swampy the air has been!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Here’s the thing though. Even 5-6 years ago. Any dew over 60 was humid.It didn’t matter if it was 64/63 or 92/63  Now.. you have posters here calling that cool and comfy. Window fans keeping it cool .. and it’s Coc k. So what has happened is as we have morphed into a more Southern type climate .. people are becoming acclimated. Now 70+ is humid and requires installs, but under that is now not humid .  I just find the whole evolution funny and fascinating. 

I mean I think you’re off on the dews, anything over 70 was humid and 50-60’s slightly uncomfortable. When you have lows at night in there 50’s and low 60’s that’s not too uncomfortable with the windows open. Being in S FL for a few years gives you an appreciation of what Heat and dews are like.

Thanks, almost threw up listening to @CT Rainstation this am; when did “feels like” temp trump actual forecast temp? I mean I get it, feels like temp sells better on the morning and evening news.  Stop already, feels like is extremely subjective but I guess feels like 98 sells better than an actual temp of 88.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Sneaky severe wx day popped up today in SNE. Wiz will be at BDL

Yup looks good for some storms today. Was waiting to see a marginal get tossed out there. Not sure I'll be able to get to BDL but I am remote today so it's possible. But my girlfriend also has day one of her BAR exam today and will be in need of moral support. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yup looks good for some storms today. Was waiting to see a marginal get tossed out there. Not sure I'll be able to get to BDL but I am remote today so it's possible. But my girlfriend also has day one of her BAR exam today and will be in need of moral support. 

Thursday looks like a fun chase day

• Like 1