Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

... all healed up an released in time to be buck shot by a hunter this autumn

Deer meat is wonderful - tasty and very low cholesterol.  However, in the Northeast, buck fawns have only buttons by deer season and most states have a 3"+ antler standard to be a legal antlered buck.  (Some states are more rigorous.  PA requires that at least one antler has 3+ points.)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Deer meat is wonderful - tasty and very low cholesterol.  However, in the Northeast, buck fawns have only buttons by deer season and most states have a 3"+ antler standard to be a legal antlered buck.  (Some states are more rigorous.  PA requires that at least one antler has 3+ points.)

Veal, I pass up anything small, I don't need to take a deer unless i want to take one.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

F&G is coming out to put it down. I think it has a pretty bad head injury. The rehab place I called said the state doesn’t allow them to directly take deer from the public. Bummer. 

If they don't come and take care of it, Mother nature would anyways, Coy dogs would find it overnight, They're defenseless at that age.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

F&G is coming out to put it down. I think it has a pretty bad head injury. The rehab place I called said the state doesn’t allow them to directly take deer from the public. Bummer. 

Sad.

Reminds me of when I was just out of college, I found a badly injured deer on the side of the road.  Called F&G and the Warden came out, dispatches the deer, then turns to me (driving like a small 1991 Volvo sedan) and asks “Do you want it?”  I was like do I want what?  He goes, the deer you idiot.  I look at him, the deer and then my car and I’m like, what in my backseat?  He’s like never mind I’ll call someone.  lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, powderfreak said:

Sad.

Reminds me of when I was just out of college, I found a badly injured deer on the side of the road.  Called F&G and the Warden came out, dispatches the deer, then turns to me (driving like a small 1991 Volvo) and asks “Do you want it?”  I was like do I want what?  He goes, the deer you idiot.  I look at him, the deer and then my car and I’m like, what in my backseat?  He’s like never mind I’ll call someone.  lol.

If you hit one up here and kill it, You have the option to keep it but i can tell you, Most of these that get hit unless you get real lucky, Have bone fragments through out and at that point are made in to deer burger if any of the meat can be salvaged at all.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If you hit one up here and kill it, You have the option to keep it but i can tell you, Most of these that get hit unless you get real lucky, Have bone fragments through out and at that point are made in to deer burger if any of the meat can be salvaged at all.

I hit a deer in 2014 while driving home from the Sundy evening service, the day after the regular firearms season ended (of course :() with no deer meat.  I had slowed to maybe 15-20 at impact and the critter was able to get up and run into the woods, after destroying the Ranger's plastic grill and also bending the bumper.  Next morning, Kris McCabe of North Woods Law fame came and tagged it (a hairy-horned doe, 2nd one I've "taken".  1st was shot on T18R12 in 1979) and I took it to the meat cutter in Oakland after following the tracks in the snow left from the pre-T.Day 13" dump.  It had gone only 500' before dying from massive internal bleeding and was still slightly warm inside.  Based on what I took home, deboned except for one roast and nothing bloodshot, the butcher had to discard less than 10%.  About $1500 of repairs, but it only cost me the $100 for Comprehensive - actually less as the mechanic bill came in at less than the adjuster's price.

Edit, for some wx:  Saw the Milky Way last night, first time in nearly a month after loads of clouds and haze, and dews were probably mid 50s this morning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

I hit a deer in 2014 while driving home from the Sundy evening service, the day after the regular firearms season ended (of course :() with no deer meat.  I had slowed to maybe 15-20 at impact and the critter was able to get up and run into the woods, after destroying the Ranger's plastic grill and also bending the bumper.  Next morning, Kris McCabe of North Woods Law fame came and tagged it (a hairy-horned doe, 2nd one I've "taken".  1st was shot on T18R12 in 1979) and I took it to the meat cutter in Oakland after following the tracks in the snow left from the pre-T.Day 13" dump.  It had gone only 500' before dying from massive internal bleeding and was still slightly warm inside.  Based on what I took home, deboned except for one roast and nothing bloodshot, the butcher had to discard less than 10%.  About $1500 of repairs, but it only cost me the $100 for Comprehensive - actually less as the mechanic bill came in at less than the adjuster's price.

You can get lucky but i've been behind vehicles that have broadsided them before and all that bruised meat is no good, I actually sell bags to McCabes mom Penny, She usually comes in a couple times a year with Kris's dad wearing a Maine Warden Service hat and he has told me a few good stories lol.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 3:10 PM, powderfreak said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been to a country show but a decade or so ago we went on a country bender and went to several shows… I still have never seen more alcohol consumed than at a country music festival or concert. 

I went to Jimmy Buffett Shows continuously, every year for about 12 years.  That parking lot scene breathes alcohol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I remember that deer I was with had really only been clipped in the hind legs from the vehicle in front of me.  Warden was determined to get someone to take it because it looked in great shape, minus the broken hind leg.

I do like how in Canada, Alaska, and I’m sure many areas have volunteer agencies that will come pick up large game to feed those less fortunate.  I know that’s huge in Alaska, the police or wildlife troopers call non-profit groups to come salvage those animals involved in accidents to feed families.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I remember that deer I was with had really only been clipped in the hind legs from the vehicle in front of me.  Warden was determined to get someone to take it because it looked in great shape, minus the broken hind leg.

I do like how in Canada, Alaska, and I’m sure many areas have volunteer agencies that will come pick up large game to feed those less fortunate.  I know that’s huge in Alaska, the police or wildlife troopers call non-profit groups to come salvage those animals involved in accidents to feed families.

If no one takes it here, It ends up at a food bank here too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sad.

Reminds me of when I was just out of college, I found a badly injured deer on the side of the road.  Called F&G and the Warden came out, dispatches the deer, then turns to me (driving like a small 1991 Volvo sedan) and asks “Do you want it?”  I was like do I want what?  He goes, the deer you idiot.  I look at him, the deer and then my car and I’m like, what in my backseat?  He’s like never mind I’ll call someone.  lol.

Weed?

i hit a deer once. well technically, the deer hit me. ran right into the drivers side door of my truck. Dumbass. no injuries for me, my truck, or the deer.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Alive but not moving much. Seems like a bad head injury. Waiting to hear back from the wildlife rehab center. If I don’t hear back soon I’ll call fish and game. 

We went to upstate New York a couple years ago to the Finger Lakes and went to a park with a big waterfall. When we were there a deer fell down the huge waterfall and broke its legs, it was just laying in the water and couldn't move. Eventually F & G or park rangers came to put it down. It was a sad scene to see that deer in pain not being able to move.

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

Weed?

i hit a deer once. well technically, the deer hit me. ran right into the drivers side door of my truck. Dumbass. no injuries for me, my truck, or the deer.

A deer ran into my Toyota Tacoma 3 years ago and totaled it, the deer was so high on adrenalin it still managed to run into the woods where we couldn't find it. I'm sure it passed in the woods based on the damage to my truck.

My wife had a deer situation in Chappaqua NY last year.  A bunch of cars were stopped on a road and traffic was stopped.  My wife noticed a deer lying down in front of the first car, clearly hurt bad.  Everyone from the cars were looking at the deer and paralyzed with fear about what to do.  She asked someone if they had a knife, and some guy produced one, and she proceeded to cut the deer's throat and put it out of its misery on the spot.  The horror in the eyes of the Chappaqua-ites!  

For context, my wife is a school teacher, Bio, Chem, and Forensics, and her parents are both veterinariens.  

I also gave her her own deer-slaying knife.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

My wife had a deer situation in Chappaqua NY last year.  A bunch of cars were stopped on a road and traffic was stopped.  My wife noticed a deer lying down in front of the first car, clearly hurt bad.  Everyone from the cars were looking at the deer and paralyzed with fear about what to do.  She asked someone if they had a knife, and some guy produced one, and she proceeded to cut the deer's throat and put it out of its misery on the spot.  The horror in the eyes of the Chappaqua-ites!  

For context, my wife is a school teacher, Bio, Chem, and Forensics, and her parents are both veterinariens.  

I also gave her her own deer-slaying knife.

That was the right thing to do rather then have the animal suffer.

• Like 1