Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

6 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

You can do the tripod mount on the roof with transmitter, so the anemometer is 6' off the roof line, though some don't like drilling into their roof.  Regardless, just make sure you have it grounded by an electrician so insurance doesn't deny any claim should something happen from lightning.  May want to ask a contractor or roofer if they can install pole with equipment attached.

Here are pictures of the anemometers on my two stations installed on the roof.

Muttontown:

2.thumb.jpg.1e974ea5f50e59fa3e2d75c6fb284927.jpg

Syosset:

12.thumb.jpg.236c904100883d102486c0c054283d4d.jpg

That looks good. It also looks like your roof is one you can walk on without to much trouble, that's nice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uofmiami said:

You can do the tripod mount on the roof with transmitter, so the anemometer is 6' off the roof line, though some don't like drilling into their roof.  Regardless, just make sure you have it grounded by an electrician so insurance doesn't deny any claim should something happen from lightning.  May want to ask a contractor or roofer if they can install pole with equipment attached.

Here are pictures of the anemometers on my two stations installed on the roof.

Muttontown:

2.thumb.jpg.1e974ea5f50e59fa3e2d75c6fb284927.jpg

Syosset:

12.thumb.jpg.236c904100883d102486c0c054283d4d.jpg

Nice setup!  Did you install those up there yourself?

1 hour ago, lee59 said:

Yea that would be good for the wind readings. The problem is, if you are not one willing to go up that high, (and it is dangerous) if something has to be replaced. Davis is a good instrument. I have both the Vantage Pro 2 and Vantage Vue.

I know that is why I have been kind of dragging my feet on the project.  I'm not capable of going up that high and I can't find anyone to do it for me.  I really want to locate the wind equipment in the best spot and that roof peak with a mast would be ideal.  Add to that I'm not technical enough to get the system connected and up and running.  Looking for help !

3 hours ago, MANDA said:

If this overall pattern persists over the next 6-8 weeks COULD make for some POTENTIALLY interesting tropical threats along the mid and north Atlantic coasts.  Those negative and positive anomalies over the mid U.S. and Canadian Maritimes respectively are not unfavorable to open the door to threats.

For somebody in the Atlantic Basin with a record amount of high octane SST fuel  out there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Nice setup!  Did you install those up there yourself?

Thank you.  Yes, when I was younger and didn't have kids.  Setup the orientation, etc. down on the ground and carried the tripod with anemometer attached up on the ladder to the roof & installed.  Over the years had to go back up to replace failed anemometer & replace transmitter battery.

16 minutes ago, MANDA said:

I know that is why I have been kind of dragging my feet on the project.  I'm not capable of going up that high and I can't find anyone to do it for me.  I really want to locate the wind equipment in the best spot and that roof peak with a mast would be ideal.  Add to that I'm not technical enough to get the system connected and up and running.  Looking for help !

Not an installer, but could you rent a cherry picker to mount your gear at a reasonable cost?

Separately, the location looks pretty exposed, great for getting clean measurements, but also potentially a lightning rod.

I'd strongly second uofmiami's recommendation to have it blessed by an electrician, just for peace of mind.

Tomorrow will be variably cloudy. Some showers or heavy thunderstorms are possible, especially during the afternoon.

An extreme heat event continues to grip the Southwest. Cities such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson could see readings continue to rise toward or above their record daily levels over the next few days.

High temperatures included:

Austin: 108° (old record: 105°, 1925 and 1984)
Corpus Christi: 100° (tied record set in 1998)
Del Rio: 107° (old record: 104°, 2009, 2020 and 2022)
El Paso: 109° (old record: 106°, 1980) ***32nd consecutive 100° day***
Las Vegas: 114°
Phoenix: 116° (tied record set in 2005) ***Record-tying 18th consecutive 110° day***
Salt Lake City: 105°
Tucson: 111° (tied record set in 2005

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.1°C for the week centered around July 12. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.80°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.97°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer. The probability of an East-based El Niño event has increased.

The SOI was -7.70 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.465 today.

On July 15 the MJO was in Phase 2 at an amplitude of 0.406 (RMM). The July 14-adjusted amplitude was 0.574 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 76% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal July (1991-2020 normal). July will likely finish with a mean temperature near 79.2° (1.7° above normal).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 100 (2012)
NYC: 100 (1953)
LGA: 98 (2012)

Lows:

EWR: 56 (1946)
NYC: 57 (1892)
LGA: 60 (1946)

Historical:

1934 - One of the worst heat waves in the history of the nation commenced. During the last two weeks of the month extreme heat claimed 679 lives in Michigan, including 300 in Detroit alone. (The Weather Channel)

1941 - A prolonged heat wave over Washington State finally came to an end. Lightning from untimely thunderstorms was responsible for 598 forest fires. (David Ludlum)

1942: A great flood developed over the Smethport area in Pennsylvania, resulting in an estimated 34.50 inches of rain in just one day, including 30.60 inches in only six hours, setting a world record. The official observing site, Smethport Highway Shed, reported only 13.08 inches for the entire month because the flood consumed the gauge after 6.68" of rain. The total results from the substitution of the officially estimated amount for the amount measured.

1952 - Thunderstorms helped the temperatur at Key West, FL, to dip to 69 degrees, to equal their July record established on the first of July in 1923. (The Weather Channel)

1957 - On a warm and sunny day at Wilmington, DE, with a high of 86 degrees, a dust devil suddenly appeared. It tore most the roof off one house, and stripped shingles from a neighboring house. A TV aerial was toppled, and clothes were blown off clothes lines. (The Weather Channel)

1981: Severe thunderstorm winds ripped a 10,000 square foot hole in a 90-foot high pavilion at Sea World in Orlando, FL. The storm panicked a crowd of 550 tourists. One death occurred due to injury and heart attack, and 15 people were injured. The canopy was made of fiberglass and Teflon, designed to withstand 120 mph winds.

1987 - Slow moving thunderstorms caused flooding on the Guadalupe River in Texas resulting in tragic loss of life. A bus and van leaving a summer youth camp stalled near the rapidly rising river, just west of the town of Comfort, and a powerful surge of water swept away 43 persons, mostly teenagers. Ten drowned in the floodwaters. Most of the others were rescued from tree tops by helicopter. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A dozen cities in the eastern U.S., and six others in California, reported record high temperatures for the date. Downtown San Francisco, CA, with a high of 103 degrees, obliterated their previous record high of 82 degrees. Philadelphia, PA, reported a record five straight days of 100 degree heat, and Baltimore, MD, reported a record eight days of 100 degree weather for the year. Afternoon and evening thunderstorms produced severe weather along the Middle Atlantic Coast, and over southern New England. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from South Dakota to Lousiana, with 126 reports of large hail and damaging winds during the day and night. Thunderstorms in Nebraska produced hail four inches in diameter in Frontier County, and at North Platte, causing millions of dollars damage to crops in Frontier County. Thunderstorms in Oklahoma produced wind gusts to 90 mph at Peggs. Tahlequah OK was drenched with 5.25 inches of rain. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 100 (2012)
NYC: 100 (1953)
LGA: 98 (2012)

Lows:

EWR: 56 (1946)
NYC: 57 (1892)
LGA: 60 (1946)

Historical:

1934 - One of the worst heat waves in the history of the nation commenced. During the last two weeks of the month extreme heat claimed 679 lives in Michigan, including 300 in Detroit alone. (The Weather Channel)

1941 - A prolonged heat wave over Washington State finally came to an end. Lightning from untimely thunderstorms was responsible for 598 forest fires. (David Ludlum)

1942: A great flood developed over the Smethport area in Pennsylvania, resulting in an estimated 34.50 inches of rain in just one day, including 30.60 inches in only six hours, setting a world record. The official observing site, Smethport Highway Shed, reported only 13.08 inches for the entire month because the flood consumed the gauge after 6.68" of rain. The total results from the substitution of the officially estimated amount for the amount measured.

1952 - Thunderstorms helped the temperatur at Key West, FL, to dip to 69 degrees, to equal their July record established on the first of July in 1923. (The Weather Channel)

1957 - On a warm and sunny day at Wilmington, DE, with a high of 86 degrees, a dust devil suddenly appeared. It tore most the roof off one house, and stripped shingles from a neighboring house. A TV aerial was toppled, and clothes were blown off clothes lines. (The Weather Channel)

1981: Severe thunderstorm winds ripped a 10,000 square foot hole in a 90-foot high pavilion at Sea World in Orlando, FL. The storm panicked a crowd of 550 tourists. One death occurred due to injury and heart attack, and 15 people were injured. The canopy was made of fiberglass and Teflon, designed to withstand 120 mph winds.

1987 - Slow moving thunderstorms caused flooding on the Guadalupe River in Texas resulting in tragic loss of life. A bus and van leaving a summer youth camp stalled near the rapidly rising river, just west of the town of Comfort, and a powerful surge of water swept away 43 persons, mostly teenagers. Ten drowned in the floodwaters. Most of the others were rescued from tree tops by helicopter. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A dozen cities in the eastern U.S., and six others in California, reported record high temperatures for the date. Downtown San Francisco, CA, with a high of 103 degrees, obliterated their previous record high of 82 degrees. Philadelphia, PA, reported a record five straight days of 100 degree heat, and Baltimore, MD, reported a record eight days of 100 degree weather for the year. Afternoon and evening thunderstorms produced severe weather along the Middle Atlantic Coast, and over southern New England. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from South Dakota to Lousiana, with 126 reports of large hail and damaging winds during the day and night. Thunderstorms in Nebraska produced hail four inches in diameter in Frontier County, and at North Platte, causing millions of dollars damage to crops in Frontier County. Thunderstorms in Oklahoma produced wind gusts to 90 mph at Peggs. Tahlequah OK was drenched with 5.25 inches of rain. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

That 1942 report of more than 30 inches of rain in 6 hours is incredible.

The next 8 days are averaging   82degs.(74/91) or +4.

Month to date is   79.6[+2.3].       Should be    80.3[+2.9] by the 26th.

The last week of July looks like a Hell Hole for the whole country.    Come on Emily/Franklin---rip the City to shreds---but give us some normalcy in the T.

Reached 87 at 5pm yesterday.

Today:   82-85, winds s., variable clouds, Rain by 4pm, 75 tomorrow AM.

76*(95%RH) here at 7am.      80* at 11am.     82* at Noon-threatening.       75* at 1pm.

37 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This is pretty impressive considering how much ewr has hit 100 the past few summer 

6 days reaching a 100° last summer at Newark and Freehold and SMQ at 5. There were 2 COOP sites that made it to 100° in PA. The Franklin Institute in Philly reached 100° back in 2021. A COOP in PA had 6 days reach 100° in 2020. So Philly hasn’t been a local warm spot as the airports have been a little cooler with the flow off the Delaware River. 

Data for January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 100 
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 6
Newark Area ThreadEx 6
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 6
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 5
CANOE BROOK COOP 4
HARRISON COOP 4
SOUTH JERSEY REGIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 3
LONG BRANCH-OAKHURST COOP 2
HIGHTSTOWN 2 W COOP 2
New Brunswick Area ThreadEx 1
MANASQUAN 1 NW COOP 1
NEW BRUNSWICK 3 SE COOP 1

Name
Station Type
NORRISTOWN COOP 1
ACMETONIA LOCK 3 COOP 1

Data for January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021
Name
Station Type
SHIPPENSBURG COOP 2
WOLFSBURG COOP 1
ACMETONIA LOCK 3 COOP 1
PHILADELPHIA FRANKLIN INSTITUTE COOP 1
Philadelphia Center City Area ThreadEx 1

Data for January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020
Name
Station Type
MURRYSVILLE 2 SW COOP 6
HARRISBURG CAPITAL CITY AP WBAN 3
MIDDLETOWN HARRISBURG INT'L AP WBAN 1
WILLIAMSPORT REGIONAL AP WBAN 1
Williamsport Area ThreadEx 1
Middletown-Harrisburg Area ThreadEx 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

6 days reaching a 100° last summer at Newark and Freehold and SMQ at 5. There were 2 COOP sites that made it to 100° in PA. The Franklin Institute in Philly reached 100° back in 2021. A COOP in PA had 6 days reach 100° in 2020. So Philly hasn’t been a local warm spot as the airports have been a little cooler with the flow off the Delaware River. 

Name
Station Type
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 6
Newark Area ThreadEx 6
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 6
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 5
CANOE BROOK COOP 4
HARRISON COOP 4
SOUTH JERSEY REGIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 3
LONG BRANCH-OAKHURST COOP 2
HIGHTSTOWN 2 W COOP 2
New Brunswick Area ThreadEx 1
MANASQUAN 1 NW COOP 1
NEW BRUNSWICK 3 SE COOP 1

Name
Station Type
NORRISTOWN COOP 1
ACMETONIA LOCK 3 COOP 1

Data for January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021
Name
Station Type
SHIPPENSBURG COOP 2
WOLFSBURG COOP 1
ACMETONIA LOCK 3 COOP 1
PHILADELPHIA FRANKLIN INSTITUTE COOP 1
Philadelphia Center City Area ThreadEx 1

Data for January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020
Name
Station Type
MURRYSVILLE 2 SW COOP 6
HARRISBURG CAPITAL CITY AP WBAN 3
MIDDLETOWN HARRISBURG INT'L AP WBAN 1
WILLIAMSPORT REGIONAL AP WBAN 1
Williamsport Area ThreadEx 1
Middletown-Harrisburg Area ThreadEx 1

11 years is a long time considering how often the urban areas of ewr have reached 100. I wonder if ewr is running a bit warm 

81 / 73 as we steam back up.  Smoke haze in the air.  Scattered storms by the afternoon evening.  Will be close for the warmer spots near or to 90 between any clouds popup storms and smoke.   Wed (7/19)  warm and isolated storms.  Thu (7/20)  front has speed up a bit on latest guidance with more widespread storms overnight into Fri.  

Sat (7/22) - Tue (7/25) drier, cool back to or near normal lower humidity.  By 7/25 the trough is lifting or splitting as the Western Atlantic Ridge is building west so a day or day and half with transition from drier to more humidity and storms.  Beyond that the western ridge is forcing stronger eat east and the W. atl ridge forces a sw flow and a hot finish to the month and open to next.

vis_nj_anim.gif 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Looks as if that cell in Somerset might miss us just to the south and east, but it's gonna be close. 

Looks like it is over Piscataway, maybe just skimming the River Road part though.  Not sure where you are.  I lived in Pway for the 1st 37 years of my life.

• Like 1