Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

9 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Pretty sure your under that Nader watch right? Going to be interesting for y’all tonight. If I didn’t work early I’d blast the 120 miles home

Got woken up to Warning and sirens.  The cell was moving perfectly to MBY.  Moved my cars away from trees.  Sirens turn off.  Looked at radar.  Per NWS:  Warning canceled as storm lost severe capabilities.   Next the lightning stopped 3 miles from MBY.  Winds maybe gusted to 5-10 MPH.  :arrowhead:

Howell airport => 0.7" of rain.

Flint airport => 2.5" of rain.

Models that had this system north => correct.   Others NG.

13 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Got woken up to Warning and sirens.  The cell was moving perfectly to MBY.  Moved my cars away from trees.  Sirens turn off.  Looked at radar.  Per NWS:  Warning canceled as storm lost severe capabilities.   Next the lightning stopped 3 miles from MBY.  Winds maybe gusted to 5-10 MPH.  :arrowhead:

Howell airport => 0.7" of rain.

Flint airport => 2.5" of rain.

Models that had this system north => correct.   Others NG.

1.91" at home, 1.68" at GRR through midnight, close to 3" at Grand Ledge and numerous totals in the 2" range.  Overall I'd say GRR forecasted this one pretty well.

14 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

1.91" at home, 1.68" at GRR through midnight, close to 3" at Grand Ledge and numerous totals in the 2" range.  Overall I'd say GRR forecasted this one pretty well.

Glad to see SW MI did well.  As you can see so did the northern 1/2 of DTX.   Unfortunately I was on the southern edge and the greater totals just to my north.  It happens.  Just a bit annoying as yesterday morning my forecast was 2-3" and even the evening update had 1-2" totals.   Some models agreed with this forecast but others had it just to my north.  I think NWS did great but  unfortunately for me the further north models were correct.

9 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

This area is where the bust happened again. Forecasted 1-2 inches of rain and ended up with .75! 

Good news is the grass is green again thanks to the recent rains that has fallen here. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

This area is where the bust happened again. Forecasted 1-2 inches of rain and ended up with .75! 

Good news is the grass is green again thanks to the recent rains that has fallen here. 

Is that a bust though? .75 vs 1-2" is pretty close to the lower bound. Yeah its an under performance sure, but a bust no.

3 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Near-constant thunder in Madison now. Between yesterday and today, Goosebumps Girl's prayers are being answered after the last 90 days of absolute dog shit.

MKX_2209.thumb.png.cd539532a331345468086820780c1f8f.png

I drove right next to that lower cell today as it was developing.  It was very cool!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Oh joy, more thick wildfire smoke is forecast to move into Minnesota overnight and degrade our air quality. 

0.57” of precip in July and no relief in sight. 

Just drove all the way to Waseca MN today.  Was driving around with those storms along the 14 between Rochester and Waseca.  Way cool to see the full storm cell structure.  Too many trees in MI.  I was loving it today driving with these storms too play with :D

I will say Rochester MN was the driest area on my drive between MI to MN.  Couple parts in southern WI were a bit dry too.  Southern MI, Northern IN and northern IL are very green now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Just drove all the way to Waseca MN today.  Was driving around with those storms along the 14 between Rochester and Waseca.  Way cool to see the full storm cell structure.  Too many trees in MI.  I was loving it today driving with these storms too play with :D

I will say Rochester MN was the driest area on my drive between MI to MN.  Couple parts in southern WI were a bit dry too.  Southern MI, Northern IN and northern IL are very green now :thumbsup:

That part of MN is basically a northern extension of Iowa. Southern Minnesota has gotten more rains this summer, it’s been between the twin cities and Duluth that seems to have it the worst. 

Feeling blessed though, just had a garden variety storm roll through. MSP gusted to 60mph whoa. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

That part of MN is basically a northern extension of Iowa. Southern Minnesota has gotten more rains this summer, it’s been between the twin cities and Duluth that seems to have it the worst. 

Feeling blessed though, just had a garden variety storm roll through. MSP gusted to 60mph whoa. 

Yeah these storms are moving fast.  That's a good gust.

Hopefully things get wets for points north as summer progresses 

On 7/10/2023 at 11:15 PM, Jonger said:

Do you really believe anything pre 1860s?

Yes, I have a lot of confidence in those readings. It's measuring air temperature, not rocket science. They used sheltered mercury thermometers that were properly calibrated, and carefully observed the temperature three times daily. These aren't records from a random Joe, but War Department records from the Signal Service Corps generally taken by army surgeons. The tri-daily mean actually produces a warming bias compared to the average of maximum and minimum, so if anything it was cooler than reported. In any case, it's a LOT easier to produce spuriously high temperatures than low temperatures.

The readings also line up with each other, as well as our understanding of climate change and impacts of land use changes and urbanization over time. And they are in line with the earliest Weather Bureau readings which show a lot of cool temperatures, especially in 1875.

• Weenie 1

22 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Oh joy, more thick wildfire smoke is forecast to move into Minnesota overnight and degrade our air quality. 

0.57” of precip in July and no relief in sight. 

Yep, over me right now. Thick enough to block the Sun a bit. Nasty skies. :( 

Smoke July 14.jpg

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, frostfern said:

I miss heat and storms with good lightning.  Its lush again, but still an uninteresting summer up here and the long range is disappointing again.  

This month is shot. Going through the whole month of July without a 90-degree day is an absolute lock. We've maxed out on the highest temp of the month earlier last week. If we're not going to get any real heat, bring on Fall.

I'm surprised Scott Sabol on Twitter has not brought up anything about the recent overdue ridging in the Bering Sea that has been occurring since Tuesday. Backloaded heat in August, anyone?

image.png.8afa68a0c93037f620f48c6e4c275c5b.png

My place has had some late night warm-frontish showers last night at 10:30. Starting this morning, there was steady rain, some of which was moderate. That has mainly stopped. There still hasn't been lightning in these two days. It's just incredible, there's been like 2 days of lightning this summer. I guess Thor went elsewhere.