Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Nice work man. Love to see a chaser get out and enjoy their passion

Enjoy.

Steinahatchee  is my best guess right now , not sure If there is really much civilization up that way 

Thanks. Really rural out here so not a ton of options. Really tough center forecast when a few miles makes a huge difference. Watching that west trend among the hurricane models too. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Does he really have a pit in his stomach , this is what they live for . It is finally getting that “look” .

Any good news seems that it looks to be effecting one of the least populated areas near Steinahatchee or even West with LF

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Does he really have a pit in his stomach , this is what they live for . It is finally getting that “look” .

Any good news seems that it looks to be effecting one of the least populated areas near Steinahatchee or even West with LF

Sounds like a fun town.

I fear this being closer to TLH. 

• Haha 2

"Apologies to that one dude whom I triggered, but here is my Final Call....feel free to not read or look because I am insignificant."

Don't let anyone get in your "space" Your appreciated, a valued weather nut. 
Happened to me on numerous occasions, getting called out. I went off! once.
Today I regret my actions and comments just the way that I reciprocated. Not worth it.

I'M GETTING A BIT NERVOUS.
One of the things in my bucket list is to experience the passage and being in the EYE of a Major Hurricane.
Here's my chance. I chase 50 miles to my N. BINGO! 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds like a fun town.

I fear this being closer to TLH. 

I think Epstein winters in Steinahatchee 

That’s why I asked Wxwatcher If there was any civilization Well Nw of Cedar key. The town names like Fish Creek nw of Steinahatchee don’t sound much better . If there was a spot relatively elevated a few miles from ocean that was more than a frightening motel I would probably head there or prepare to after euro run 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think Epstein winters in Steinahatchee 

That’s why I asked Wxwatcher If there was any civilization Well Nw of Cedar key. The town names like Fish Creek nw of Steinahatchee don’t sound much better . If there was a spot relatively elevated a few miles from ocean that was more than a frightening motel I would probably head there or prepare to after euro run 

Yeah not much. It was a dark ride into Chiefland last night. 

Other problem with those places is idk if I’d trust the roof/structure to hold during a major strike. That’s a big part of my planning. I saw one motel and it was barely holding together lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah not much. It was a dark ride into Chiefland last night. 

Other problem with those places is idk if I’d trust the roof/structure to hold during a major strike. That’s a big part of my planning. I saw one motel and it was barely holding together lol. 

I believe it 

39 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Steinhatchee is also a surge/evac zone. No bueno. I only chase for wind. I try to get as close as I can without being in surge risk. 

doyMnHe.jpg

Well cmc just took it to apilachicola

There is a best western in Medart area which is 30 miles S of TLH and inland about 8 miles 

Also Wakula springs has a respectable resort it looks like for 115 tonite (that is SSE of TLH) icon loves that area 

Or 20 miles East in Perry FL at the Hampton inn near the airport (that is about half hour N west of Steinahatchee)

4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm in Chiefland, FL this morning, just inland from Cedar Key. We have a hurricane warning here and folks are taking the storm seriously. The forecast for the center is very tricky even now, as some models have been trending westward toward a near direct hit of Tallahassee while others are further east down to Cedar Key. The parallel track along the west coast of Florida makes this hard. I am hedging east right now, but am prepared to move north if necessary this evening. Will monitor trends. 

As is usually the case, my friend @MillvilleWx is in communication with me, and this time I'm grateful to have @ORH_wxman supporting as well. If I lose power and internet, I'll be in touch with them so that everyone here knows I'm ok. 

Driving in last night there was a wicked storm to my south. Perhaps a preview...

giphy.gif

I might be the only other person in this sub forum that’s been to Chiefland lol. I drove through that area about 15 years ago on my way from Tampa to southwest Georgia. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Here comes the CNN machine ...

Idalia could be a once-in-a-lifetime event

I'm sure it will be for someone... Maybe folks that have not lived along the west coast of Florida and just moved to FL in the past 9 months; babies that were born last fall and later...  Although in all seriousness, some of the modeled surge heights for the area most likely to be near and just east of the LF, I think you have to go back a long way to find those surge heights.  Of course, it is very much location specific in that big bend area and have not had to look too deeply into surge heights in past storms to hit that area, but 10 to 15' may be record setting it a few spots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

I'm sure it will be for someone... Maybe folks that have not lived along the west coast of Florida and just moved to FL in the past 9 months; babies that were born last fall and later...  Although in all seriousness, some of the modeled surge heights for the area most likely to be near and just east of the LF, I think you have to go back a long way to find those surge heights.  Of course, it is very much location specific in that big bend area and have not had to look too deeply into surge heights in past storms to hit that area, but 10 to 15' may be record setting it a few spots.

Meteorologically speaking, this will likely deliver a once in a lifetime event for the area. Almost 100 years since the last Category 2 made landfall in the area. From a relative perspective, and while you never wish for a major hurricane to impact people's lives, yet thankfully this event will occur across some of the least populated areas of Florida. 

Posted in the Tropical HQ thread:

-------

One for the history books if Idalia makes landfall as a major. Also looks like relative to history, the area has been long overdue. 

Apalachee Bay Hurricane Landfalls

• Hermine (2016) - Category 1
  • Alma (1966) - Category 1 
  • Unnamed (1941) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1935) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1899) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1886) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1886) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1882) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1880) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1873) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1867) - Category 1