Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

49 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Probably a lot of mixed bag events this year. The upside is we won't be dry as a bone in the boreal forests of Canada. Should mitigate the wildfire risk next spring.

Could be a classic N&W burbs winter. 

But I don’t like this trend. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i mean, it's one run of one model, and the end of winter still looks pretty great with split flow and a general -NAO, so I wouldn't get too worked up

Yeah I’m not worried yet, but it’s something to keep an eye on for the next 6 weeks or so.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

What trend?

We got some over analysis of a super smoothed seasonal tool going on. Doesn't look as 'good' as the last run, so let the hand wringing begin lol. The general idea is still the same- a pretty favorable look for the MA from mid winter on. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

You guys will do fine for snow this year. I just don't expect too much cold even in the snowier part of the pattern. I'm expecting some pretty big ice storms across large areas of the US as well. I think you'll have a lot of setups in the wetter systems where it is cold enough for part of the storm, but not the entirety. The good news is I think a few of them will go rain to snow, which at least to me is better than snow to rain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We got some over analysis of a super smoothed seasonal tool going on. Doesn't look as 'good' as the last run, so let the hand wringing begin lol. The general idea is still the same- a pretty favorable look for the MA from mid winter on. 
The euro did show a west migration of the el nino anomalies for jfm

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I think people way over analyze these seasonal charts, but I guess it’s all we got for now. Still think if you blend euro and cansips, it’s a pretty solid look and doesn’t change my prior that this winter probably ends up a bit AN in totality for temps but we get around climo for snowfall. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I think people way over analyze these seasonal charts, but I guess it’s all we got for now. Still think if you blend euro and cansips, it’s a pretty solid look and doesn’t change my prior that this winter probably ends up a bit AN in totality for temps but we get around climo for snowfall. 

That’s what I’ve been leaning towards. I’ll do a full outlook in November when I get next month’s round of data and tighten up my analog group. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

The take-away with the EC/Cansips for DJF is it's the best look for winter we've had in several years. Not excited yet but if the general idea continues into November I'm going to get that "special feeling" about winter 23/24. 

6 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Latest Euro monthlies look pretty zonal with a lot of Pacific puke to be honest.

I don't get that impression at all....I mean, its not frigid and there are times when the cold will dump west early on, but looks like plenty of ridging over the eastern Pac and AK.

• Like 5

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024
2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't get that impression at all....I mean, its not frigid and there are times when the cold will dump west early on, but looks like plenty of ridging over the eastern Pac and AK.

You have to understand that EJ will always identify even one pixel of perceived negative data and make sweeping statements about the negative results for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You have to understand that EJ will always identify even one pixel of perceived negative data and make sweeping statements about the negative results for us.

Well, I probably would too if I lived down there....even up here its getting tougher to remain objective....last good season for me was 2017-2018.