joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Lot are getting tugged NW on the 12z EPS

6408dce214120.png

Mmm   it's an artifact of being captured I would think.  This is a integrating event in some of these recent trends... The surface evolution - as we all know ... - ends up hesitating if not stalling, if not performing loops while doing so.   But these inidividual members may or may not be fully resolving that ...  "partial" in this sense would lend to a NW motion, just not as likely double-back

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Lot of members are getting tugged NW on the 12z EPS.

6408dce214120.png

certainly in the internal areas and hills of SNE.

This whole stall loop capture thing, which has been on the models for several cycles, is why I think we are locked and loaded for this storm.  Those usually don't fade away into nothing.  I think this ends up a little further east.  Stronger storms tend to hook more nw when deepening rapidly but we haven't had any big deepeners in a while so I could see that being overdone and thus a bit more east.  And then there is Messenger...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is when the posters constantly b*tching about how the Euro sucks these days, they wrecked the model, etc all the sudden aren’t mentioning those things lol.

Everyone can say what they want but we all enjoy a ECMWF run that crushes more than any other model.

Hey man.. I defended the Euro on that last snow event that did well up your way...  The GFS was too far S and cold - from what I assessed - with adamant stubbornness too.  heh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is when the posters constantly b*tching about how the Euro sucks these days, they wrecked the model, etc all the sudden aren’t mentioning those things lol.

Everyone can say what they want but we all enjoy a ECMWF run that crushes more than any other model.

I think when it comes to complex s/w interactions, it's still generally better. Just understand it can be a little too ampy.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I think when it comes to complex s/w interactions, it's still generally better. Just understand it can be a little too ampy.

I haven't seen the GFS defeat the Euro yet on a significant coastal storm for us since it was the AVN model when it scored a coup in the 12/30/00 storm. Even when the Euro barfed in that run with giving NYC 30" in the Jan 2015 storm...it was like 50 miles too far west....but the GFS was still scraping ORH with like an inch of QPF....lol.

GFS has really seemed to close the gap on the Euro in non-coastals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hey man.. I defended the Euro on that last snow event that did well up your way...  The GFS was too far S and cold - from what I assessed - with adamant stubbornness too.  heh

There was some compromise on that because EURO had mainly rain for all of SNE for awhile.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There was some compromise on that because EURO had mainly rain for all of SNE for awhile.

The cliff's note version on that storm was the GFS won in the medium range (like D3-5) and the Euro won inside of 48h.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I haven't seen the GFS defeat the Euro yet on a significant coastal storm for us since it was the AVN model when it scored a coup in the 12/30/00 storm. Even when the Euro barfed in that run with giving NYC 30" in the Jan 2015 storm...it was like 50 miles too far west....but the GFS was still scraping ORH with like an inch of QPF....lol.

GFS has really seemed to close the gap on the Euro in non-coastals.

even last year with the blizzard, the ECMWF did leagues better than any other model. the GFS was awful

pure coastals are the one thing that still remains as a sore spot for the GFS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yeah I was throwing the Euro a bone there some.

It’s just that of the two I find the GFS a little more egregious because it was transfixed in its error. I mean at least the euro wended its way to the truth – but I distinguish things like that.

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

christ

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-z500_anom-8838400.thumb.png.69d67c1c61be2029565017c4f3e9472e.png

The funny thing I’ve been noticing with that… The wave length looks too long between San Francisco and Boston. It’s almost like the models are trying to rush this thing to the east…

I don’t know if that’s any kind of a sign or anything but that definitely looks like a stressed wave length. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You could say the same about the crazy uncle, too.  Last night posters were singing its praises, today, it sucks.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah I was throwing the Euro a bone there some.

It’s just that of the two I find the GFS a little more egregious because it was transfixed in its error. I mean at least the euro wended its way to the truth – but I distinguish things like that.

Yea, the EURO is better at nailing down the final outcome, eventually. Agree.