Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The last hurrah? Putting all the eggs in the Tuesday 3/14 basket

Ginx snewx

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not super similar but some of the variables are…Dec ‘92 had a strong ULL diving down through VA and this one comes in further north but due to the eastern southern stream low, we end up with an easterly flow for a time that is somewhat similar. Dec ‘92 had a potent high pressure up north too which while not very cold, it really increased the pressure gradient and helped cause the huge winds (90+ mph gusts on the exposed shore) 

Airmass was pretty marginal in Dec ‘92 as well  

I'm thinking that of all the big dogs synoptically, Feb 2013 might be an excellent match: (antecendent cold nonwithstanding)

NARR4pSYN1b_2013020900.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

I'm thinking that of all the big dogs synoptically, Feb 2013 might be an excellent match: (antecendent cold nonwithstanding)

NARR4pSYN1b_2013020900.png

Yeah there are some similarities aloft. But Feb 2013 had a monster high to the north and this one doesn’t. 

• Like 2

The temps are annoying in general with this system, which ups the ante.  Naturally you have to favor the elevations.  It’ll snow anywhere the lift is strong enough, but the moisture in this system would hit HECS easily with a colder/fresher air mass.  I’ve gotten stuck on imagining looking at these runs with widespread temps in the 20s, not low to mid-30s.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The temps are annoying in general with this system, which ups the ante.  Naturally you have to favor the elevations.  It’ll snow anywhere the lift is strong enough, but the moisture in this system would hit HECS easily with a colder/fresher air mass.  I’ve gotten stuck on imagining looking at these runs with widespread temps in the 20s, not low to mid-30s.

Ya I wrote that in my blog and it really sucks, but it fits the tenor of the season to expect less for SNE.  JDJ expects 0.0” as of now for our area. Hopefully the next few runs changes our minds. 

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

I think the issuance of specific snow amount maps at this time is unwarranted and does more harm than good.  The numbers on the these maps are going to change over the next 2 days, and when they do, all folks are going to remember is how much snow was predicted for their backyard and now it has changed.  It leads folks mocking forecasters; they don't care about the reason, all they know is the number change?  I am ok with forecasters issuing FIRST CALL outlooks with appropriate caveats.  At this stage of the game, I think it is completely acceptable to use general probability terms on maps.  Here some of the terms I'm using... Ex. Moderate to High probability of heavy snow of at least 10 inches; Moderate to high probability of seeing less than 10 inches;  Moderate probability of seeing excessive snow totals more than 15 inches;. Of course the numbers I'm using are subjective.  I fully understand the desire for numbers and the now expected call for media folks to post them.  But we posting numbers long before we have reasonable confidence in those numbers verifying.  A storm like this is a prime example of why many times you need to play it close to the vest.  Again, first call maps like 40/70's with his detailed discussion and caveats are fine, but I guarantee there maps being posted now that will undergo major revisions over the next 2 days.  Just some ramblings of an old forecaster; lol

Agree not sure where the need (?expectation) of precise numbers this far out.

Should be perfectly acceptable to put a region-wide alert for potential of heavy snow + winds, stay tuned for detailed TBD. Unnecessarily setting themselves up for criticism.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 8-12 is probably realistic ceiling. JMHO.  

If you guys get in the meat of the CCB I think that’s a reasonable ceiling for TAN to south coast given the air mass.

8-12” of 6-7:1 paste in heavy precip rates with wind would be a helluva event regardless.

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Ya I wrote that in my blog and it really sucks, but it fits the tenor of the season to expect less for SNE.  JDJ expects 0.0” as of now for our area. Hopefully the next few runs changes our minds. 

Tenor of the season. Perpetual potential, pathetic production. Let’s hope we reverse things in a big way here. Just want to be in the game to the very end.