Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

NW NJ and areas north of White Plains—maybe even White Plains—will likely be closed.

Most of Rockland will be closed and places like Ramsey and Mahwah will be closed as well. That are is part of NE NJ. The cutoff is around Paramus on Rt 17 in these events. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Clouds finally rolling in after hitting 45

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

We should start dropping off soon with the sun going down and with any kind of decent precip rate we’ll wetbulb down. Real question is if coastal areas can get down to near freezing too. 

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

Seems like this will all come down to banding. One band from the initial WAA around 7-10pm and another potential band from the coastal forming around midnight to 5am.  I would not worry about current temps. Focus on dew points...

I noticed that too on the HRRR seems to be a bit of a lull around 11 pm and I can already imagine everyone on here freaking out at that time and then steady snow from 12-5 am (seems to stay snow longer than some of the other models).    

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We should start dropping off soon with the sun going down and with any kind of decent precip rate we’ll wetbulb down. Real question is if coastal areas can get down to near freezing too. 

Not sure if it has to get to freezing, 33 and heavy snow will accumulate fine at night. Obviously 31-32 would make a big difference especially if not that heavy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

HRRR still looks good away from the immediate beaches. Hopefully by now that’s meaningful. 

I mean it definitely could be worse, i've seen more borderline forecasts. This is pretty clearly mostly snow event for most of the metro north of a line from New Brunswick to the immediate LI beaches. How much it accumulates, how heavy it is, and I guess how soon does the sleet mix in are the main questions.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Seems like this will all come down to banding. One band from the initial WAA around 7-10pm and another potential band from the coastal forming around midnight to 5am.  I would not worry about current temps. Focus on dew points...

Please no banding comments.  Every storm, someone says it will come down to banding.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I can see Westchester schools closing or at least delayed even south of White Plains if some of the short range models are right. 7 am may be very rough travel. 

Could happen, especially if the changeover doesn't occur near midnight or the snow is on the heavier side of the guidance (e.g., 12z GFS amounts).

36 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I mean it definitely could be worse, i've seen more borderline forecasts. This is pretty clearly mostly snow event for most of the metro north of a line from New Brunswick to the immediate LI beaches. How much it accumulates, how heavy it is, and I guess how soon does the sleet mix in are the main questions.  

well I'm 2 miles north of the beach so I'm safe lol