• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

Don't see a huge change in the 6z models except on the southern edges where the meso models may be cutting back a bit. NAM still looks pretty lousy in general south of the favored areas in CT/upstate, hope it's too warm. GFS looked good. The southern edge south of I-78 and south shore is going to be the toughest spot where it could easily be some slush to rain if it ends up a little warmer. Almost nowcast time, I'd say we have until 12z runs to see what trends we have. The last second north bump is always a threat here and even my area/northern NYC has to look out for that.

If you've been bickering and/or calling premature bust and wondering where your post went, I deleted it. Take that crap to banter or better yet don't post it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah we're gonna need one of those rare cases where the 3km NAM severely busts inside of 18 hours which I feel about 1 of every 5 of these sort of events it does...it had 2 events last winter where it respectively showed a torch and a freezer and it was totally wrong both times

Yeah hopefully its warm but I'm not optimistic when it usually sniffs out these mid level warm layers better. It flips essentially all of the city and LI to sleet pretty quickly with the warm tongue at 800mb. There may actually be more snow at the end as the coastal low takes over if it's right. Futility record would still very much be in play if it's right although maybe 1" or so would fall as sleet. 

If we see the sleet line surging north at us later tonight we'll know.

I am just blown away by how insanely cold the Euro soundings are for LGA...even with a 1C error which is standard to assume even today with models with SW-W flow aloft in a WAA event it would still be all snow but I feel the last few years the Euro blows these events almost all the time...the only one it nailed was 11/2018 and that made sense since it was a classic S-N mover with the high over Maine

• Like 4

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

Also, when you see sleet on a model it does not always mean no accumulation.

It could mean 75% snow 25% sleet. 

It has a nasty warm layer around 800mb overnight. It's worse than the other models but it'll likely be the closest to correct. NYC and my area at least would definitely be sleet on that and the south shore and East Brunswick area etc would probably just be rain. You're likely good.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It has a nasty warm layer around 800mb overnight. It's worse than the other models but it'll likely be the closest to correct. NYC and my area at least would definitely be sleet on that and the south shore and East Brunswick area etc would probably just be rain. You're likely good.

For CPK it still depends on the intensity of the thump before the change. That initial band will make or break the forecast.

image.thumb.png.4da871f1840aa69607798e98a1028869.pngimage.thumb.png.b970182f9e3943a1a7fe5922c97f583e.png

image.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah hopefully its warm but I'm not optimistic when it usually sniffs out these mid level warm layers better. It flips essentially all of the city and LI to sleet pretty quickly with the warm tongue at 800mb. There may actually be more snow at the end as the coastal low takes over if it's right. Futility record would still very much be in play if it's right although maybe 1" or so would fall as sleet. 

If we see the sleet line surging north at us later tonight we'll know.

The NAM however is probably majorly busting on the start time which could impact things...I highly doubt its not snowing by 01Z and it may even be earlier than that...the NAM does not have the slow bias it once did but it still does tend to be 1-2 hours too slow.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I am just blown away by how insanely cold the Euro soundings are for LGA...even with a 1C error which is standard to assume even today with models with SW-W flow aloft in a WAA event it would still be all snow but I feel the last few years the Euro blows these events almost all the time...the only one it nailed was 11/2018 and that made sense since it was a classic S-N mover with the high over Maine

What are your thoughts for CPK accumulation wise.

For CPK it still depends on the intensity of the thump before the change. That initial band will make or break the forecast.

image.thumb.png.4da871f1840aa69607798e98a1028869.pngimage.thumb.png.b970182f9e3943a1a7fe5922c97f583e.png

image.png

Yeah if we get a shredded up initial burst, the sleet line will race north and we'll accumulate less anyway. If it comes in like a wall it will fight back the warm air for a while and accumulate faster. 

I'm never ever optimistic about SWFEs here as you can tell, but we do get the ones that can snow here every few years or so. It's been about 4 years since the 11/2018 good bust...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I am almost sure sleet will mix in at some point at LGA and likely even well north of LGA. Hopefully it can dump before that. 

Just now, Winterweatherlover said:

They started very conservative and now almost seem bullish with totals. 

Some meso guidance is fairly bullish...the 00z HREF mean which was very good last winter but IMO has not been as good across the Midwest/Lakes/NE this winter has a mean of 5 at LGA and 3 at JFK with maxes of 7 and 6 respectively but a 25 mile shift would be 2/1 and 3/2 respectively.  I was still surprised to see how aggressive that mean was though.

• Like 3

NWS has 3 to 5 for CPK while TWC has less than 1 inch.

They did just state on TV they will likely go above the 0.4 of 97/98.

Even if they see 0 today they probably see something with the storm in 5 days...I think at this stage even staying top 5 will be tough to pull off, even 4 inches between both storms nearly takes them out of that

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

NWS has 3 to 5 for CPK while TWC has less than 1 inch.

They did just state on TV they will likely go above the 0.4 of 97/98.

97/98 finished wirh 5.5 though, the DJF is an artificial boundary created by humans, we should go with the overall season numbers

It's why 01-02 was the historically bad winter here not 97-98

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah if we get a shredded up initial burst, the sleet line will race north and we'll accumulate less anyway. If it comes in like a wall it will fight back the warm air for a while and accumulate faster. 

I'm never ever optimistic about SWFEs here as you can tell, but we do get the ones that can snow here every few years or so. It's been about 4 years since the 11/2018 good bust...

Would this be more like 11/2018 or 2/2008?

Both were good busts

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

NYC finished with 5” or so in 97-98 not 0.4”. The all time record is 2.8” in 1972-73 which would still be in danger if NAM is right. 

Right I dont go by the artificial DJF boundary either but by the entire season.

I do think 01-02 was a more historic winter than 72-73 though because it was warmer.