• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

5 hours ago, RDM said:

Hope your power is restored soon.  Our power flickered about 10 times over a couple mins when the initial line came through.  Likely due to trees contacting the lines.  Normally, the breakers allow 3 or 4 spikes before the breakers trip as a safeguard (according to a Va Power lineman).  So it appears we got lucky.  Many weren't as fortunate.  

12+ hrs now and still no power 

• Sad 4

Kiddo's camp is closed today, so we packed up and went to Hunt Valley where my office has power. So many trees down in Parkton. Power was out as far south as Hereford before we jumped off York and got on 83. 

A coffee from CFA never tasted so good. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Kiddo's camp is closed today, so we packed up and went to Hunt Valley where my office has power. So many trees down in Parkton. Power was out as far south as Hereford before we jumped off York and got on 83. 

A coffee from CFA never tasted so good. 

Hope the power is back ASAP! 

Power outages can be fun as a kid - and maybe are a little interesting for the first hour or so as an adult...but after that things get pretty blah fast. 

This is why if you have large trees close to your home you need to leave or take shelter as low as you can go!

This home off Troyer Road was destroyed.

nJdEGVB.png

Still now power for us as well.  No ETA from BGE, there has not been a crew assigned.  Joy of rural living.
Thank goodness for Kohler power!

Although I'm not looking forward to the next time Ferrell tops off the tank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Hope the power is back ASAP! 

Power outages can be fun as a kid - and maybe are a little interesting for the first hour or so as an adult...but after that things get pretty blah fast. 

it wasn't terrible overnight, boring but not awful. but i knew she'd be bored out of her mind today if we had stayed home, so had her pack a bag and she's on her ipad while i get some work done. Mr map stayed home with the dogs, will keep us in the loop on the power situation. He and I barely slept, but at least the kiddo got a good night of sleep hahaha. 

• Like 5

Just now, AdamHLG said:

We still have no power at Chestnut Ridge - Northern MD. Nothing like sleeping in the dark, in the heat, with no cell service, no wifi, no water (no well pump). And after looking at Carroll County and Westminster Pike, I doubt any BGE trucks will be freed up any time soon. :—(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BGE had a sinkhole open up under one of their trucks on Salem Bottom road last night. It flipped the truck with the crew in it in the middle of the night. I know they suspended operations for the night after that so I'm sure they're going to be slower with power restoration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

BGE had a sinkhole open up under one of their trucks on Salem Bottom road last night. It flipped the truck with the crew in it in the middle of the night. I know they suspended operations for the night after that so I'm sure they're going to be slower with power restoration.

Between the power outage last Friday night (the “underrated day” that delivered) and last night, I am ready to call this severe season a wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Same in Monkton. Initial burst of wind took the power just after 5:00 pm. Now after 8 am still nothing. 

I actually have no idea what conditions were across the area in general. 

Bad. My drive from the house to Hereford was nothing but downed trees everywhere you looked. Can only imagine what things are like once you get off the main roads. Coworker who lives in Freeland said it was equally bad at his house. Shrewsbury/New Freedom/Stewartstown area is a mess. Rotation went through Glen Rock, again a total mess. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Still think we have to wait for surveys to be done? 

Oh, ya, I am not saying there weren't any. It is a lot harder to see tornadoes in our area. I would have thought there would have been a few though. Wind was always the primary threat. Rotating supercells were definitely out there in parts of the area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Bad. My drive from the house to Hereford was nothing but downed trees everywhere you looked. Can only imagine what things are like once you get off the main roads. Coworker who lives in Freeland said it was equally bad at his house. Shrewsbury/New Freedom/Stewartstown area is a mess. Rotation went through Glen Rock, again a total mess. 

My brother in law is a landscaping foreman who lives in Glen Rock.  He said it took him 2 hours to get from 83 to his house.  Impassible roads.  Fortunately he had chain saws with him and along with good Samaritans pitching in to help moving logs out of the way he was able to get home.  A large red oak on the corner of his property split and went into a neighbor's home.  

He said lots of signs were damaged including the one at the border.  Poles snapped.  Definitely some ferocious bursts.

I was pulling into my driveway when the winds kicked up.  Little anemometer at the top of the tower was spinning so fast the cups looked like my wife's Kitchen Aid mixer on ludicrous speed!

I had my phone and wanted to take video as I could hear the ROAR but the rain was blowing too much even under the porch and my wife was holding the door and was telling me to GTFI and not let the cat out!

Just as I got inside I heard pops that sounded like small caliber rifle fire and knew exactly what it was.  She said we lost some pine trees.  Those southern pines crack so loud when they break.  And right after that moment the power went poof.  No flicker, just out like it was switched off.  That's when I knew it was going to be a long night.

5 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Wow, it looked 'rough' in that area around 4 pm yesterday!! 

Definitely got a bit of wind , alot of leaves and small twigs were down when we got home, but only .02 in the gauge.. The main storm went just to the NE of us...which is  normal . Real glad we didn't get that hail that was just to our west toward Staunton... Went through a tennis ball size hailstorm in Crozet about 20 years ago that took out hundreds of car windows.. Watching Greg Forbes on the weather channel after the storm trying to pronounce Crozet was a bit funny...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stormfly said:

My brother in law is a landscaping foreman who lives in Glen Rock.  He said it took him 2 hours to get from 83 to his house.  Impassible roads.  Fortunately he had chain saws with him and along with good Samaritans pitching in to help moving logs out of the way he was able to get home.  A large red oak on the corner of his property split and went into a neighbor's home.  

He said lots of signs were damaged including the one at the border.  Poles snapped.  Definitely some ferocious bursts.

I was pulling into my driveway when the winds kicked up.  Little anemometer at the top of the tower was spinning so fast the cups looked like my wife's Kitchen Aid mixer on ludicrous speed!

I had my phone and wanted to take video as I could hear the ROAR but the rain was blowing too much even under the porch and my wife was holding the door and was telling me to GTFI and not let the cat out!

Just as I got inside I heard pops that sounded like small caliber rifle fire and knew exactly what it was.  She said we lost some pine trees.  Those southern pines crack so loud when they break.  And right after that moment the power went poof.  No flicker, just out like it was switched off.  That's when I knew it was going to be a long night.

I have friends in Glen Rock and they said it was mayhem. Just a mess. 

We closed the studio again tonight, most of the area in and around Stewartstown doesn't have power, and we've heard from quite a few of our families who are all dealing with cleanup in their backyards. Definitely a large area along the MD/PA line all dealing with the same mess. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

I have friends in Glen Rock and they said it was mayhem. Just a mess. 

We closed the studio again tonight, most of the area in and around Stewartstown doesn't have power, and we've heard from quite a few of our families who are all dealing with cleanup in their backyards. Definitely a large area along the MD/PA line all dealing with the same mess. 

CTP is apparently investigating the area for a possible tornado. Makes sense. There was a decent, sustained mesocyclone moving through that area.

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

CTP is apparently investigating the area for a possible tornado. Makes sense. There was a decent, sustained mesocyclone moving through that area.

I heard they were heading out to Glen Rock, Shrewsbury over towards Stewartstown. Friend sent some reports in to WGAL from Stewartstown and they said NWS would be out today 

• Like 1