• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

43 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Strange looking radar the past 20 minutes or so. Regardless of exactly why, seems like these storms are struggling to take off

suns out. Rainbow at least lol

Arguably, the best part are the breezes left in the wake of the small cells that went to our NE. Soooo nice sitting in backyard right now, under the clearest/bluest skies we've had all day.

SPC Mesoanalysis shows > 3500 SBCAPE and > 30 kts of bulk shear. Are we just failing to get a reliable lifting mechanism? That little boundary that passed through seemed to act as one, but the cells still had trouble surviving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moosey2323 said:

SPC Mesoanalysis shows > 3500 SBCAPE and > 30 kts of bulk shear. Are we just failing to get a reliable lifting mechanism? That little boundary that passed through seemed to act as one, but the cells still had trouble surviving.

We're so gonna waste solid parameters because of no lifting mechanism. We almost always fail somehow.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moosey2323 said:

We often blame mid-level lapse rates, and today seems to be no exception.

IMG_2705.thumb.jpeg.1f14b8397857795b2da55460d8c4a91f.jpeg

• Like 2

Some booms to my SSE (Harford county), nice building cumulus, partly sunny. It just rained 3 hours ago. We are drought busting like crazy.  For now on, take months of below average rainfall as instability in the Spring/Summer. Although, if it wasn't El Nino, I don't know that we would be getting this.  

39 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Seems we will continue to wait for our once in a decade (or longer) alignment of EML, shear etc. I'd even settle for a non-EML robust cold pool event. 

When did that happen last, in your opinion? I know it's a totally subjective question. 

Please don't say "never." Offhand, I don't have a clue what the BRN or low-level shear was for the derecho; I know CAPE (j/kg-1) values were something ungodly, like 5500. 

19 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

When did that happen last, in your opinion? I know it's a totally subjective question. 

Please don't say "never." Offhand, I don't have a clue what the BRN or low-level shear was for the derecho; I know CAPE (j/kg-1) values were something ungodly, like 5500. 

Really June 2012 may have been the last truly area-wide significant severe event. Any one location has had other occurrences since then (would have to look at specific dates) - maybe 2016 had a few good area-wide events? 

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Really June 2012 may have been the last truly area-wide significant severe event. Any one location has had other occurrences since then (would have to look at specific dates) - maybe 2016 had a few good area-wide events? 

IMO, June 13, 2013: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20130613

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Can't believe I forgot about that one - would tend to agree. 

I hated that event.      Was likely to be a pretty big day, but a dying derecho rolled through during the early morning.    It still had enough punch for some wind events in northern MD, but its main contribution to the day was to severely reduce the instability.       A small complex with an embedded supercell actually tracked across Montgomery County during the mid and late afternoon with a fairly long-track (but overall weak) tornado, while another derecho tracked through the southern half of VA, far southern MD, and NC.    Without the lead dying derecho, it would have been a pretty massive afternoon in the DC/Baltimore area too.

• Like 3