Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I wonder why we don't have multi year el ninos, at least triple year el ninos are unheardof in the modern record

There's a reason for that. It's complicated. At least as far as it's understood. This stuff is constantly being studied. It's interesting though, would be cool to check out a much longer record.

Another storm is bringing precipitation to the New York City area. As has been the theme this winter, at least so far, there has been no measurable snow. Seemingly, back in 2000, country singer Jo Dee Messina nailed New York City's forecast before the January 25 6z GFS did with her "Bring on the rain." New York City wound up picking up just a trace of snow. That extended its measurable snow drought to 322 consecutive days, which ranks as the second longest such stretch on record.

New York City is now on track to see its latest ever first measurable snowfall of the season. The existing record of January 29th was set in 1973. There is a distinct possibility that New York City could get through all of January without a measurable snowfall.

A cooler pattern will move in during the first week of February and last through the week. Afterward, moderation could begin to occur during the second week of the month.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.6°C for the week centered around January 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.30°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.75°C. La Niña conditions are beginning to fade and they should evolve to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +14.61 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.545 today.

On January 23 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.541 (RMM). The January 22-adjusted amplitude was 1.525 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 42.0° (8.3° above normal).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Most of us had a decent one in early Jan last year. 8" of powdery snow IMBY. 

Yeah I got something like 5 1/2" from that one down here (Toms River / Manchester border), and then 16 inches on 1/29. Frustratingly I was too far north for the big ACY storm at the very beginning of the month and sucked virga after being forecasted to get moderate amounts.

32 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

There's a reason for that. It's complicated. At least as far as it's understood. This stuff is constantly being studied. It's interesting though, would be cool to check out a much longer record.

Maybe because La Nina is really about a warmer west pac?

They seem so destructive I would be perfectly fine with climate engineering that would blunt or at least make la ninas much less frequent.

19 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Yeah I got something like 5 1/2" from that one down here (Toms River / Manchester border), and then 16 inches on 1/29. Frustratingly I was too far north for the big ACY storm at the very beginning of the month and sucked virga after being forecasted to get moderate amounts.

1/29 must have been the big one for us we got near a foot in western nassau

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Another storm is bringing precipitation to the New York City area. As has been the theme this winter, at least so far, there has been no measurable snow. Seemingly, back in 2000, country singer Jo Dee Messina nailed New York City's forecast before the January 25 6z GFS did with her "Bring on the rain." New York City wound up picking up just a trace of snow. That extended its measurable snow drought to 322 consecutive days, which ranks as the second longest such stretch on record.

New York City is now on track to see its latest ever first measurable snowfall of the season. The existing record of January 29th was set in 1973. There is a distinct possibility that New York City could get through all of January without a measurable snowfall.

A cooler pattern will move in during the first week of February and last through the week. Afterward, moderation could begin to occur during the second week of the month.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.6°C for the week centered around January 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.30°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.75°C. La Niña conditions are beginning to fade and they should evolve to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +14.61 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.545 today.

On January 23 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.541 (RMM). The January 22-adjusted amplitude was 1.525 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 42.0° (8.3° above normal).

Good chances we beat Jan 1932 for warmest January ever Don?

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Maybe because La Nina is really about a warmer west pac?

They seem so destructive I would be perfectly fine with climate engineering that would blunt or at least make la ninas much less frequent.

Oh yeah, it's absolutely about that.  That goes back to the gradients conversation too. Without that, it's not going be very effective. That warm pool is going to be a real problem too I think. As it keeps getting warmer. I forsee trouble stemming from that thing, increasingly. I'm not just talking snow either. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Oh yeah, it's absolutely about that.  That goes back to the gradients conversation too. Without that, it's not going be very effective. That warm pool is going to be a real problem too I think. As it keeps getting warmer. I forsee trouble stemming from that thing, increasingly. I'm not just talking snow either. 

I wonder if that means more trouble for the west too....

• Like 1

As much as I would love next weeks "potentially" favorable period to pan out for us I can certainly see it failing fairly easily. Overall its probably going to be the best chance we have had so far this winter with getting something wintry down to the coast. The models have just been atrocious and the pattern seems to favor areas north and west of the immediate NYC metro so its difficult to believe that will change. We'll see.

• Rjay unpinned this topic