Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

what I liked last year is with much less rain there were also much less bugs.  It was the first time I didn't have to spray, with all that rain I have to spray everything, all the borders around my house, my pond, garden, everything.  I hate nasty mosquitoes and giant spiders and creepy centipedes, I dont want NY to become like Texas.

I noticed my health was better and a lot less allergies with the drier air last summer.  It actually felt like the drier and hotter summers we had growing up here.

I did not like having to constantly water the garden....for most years I really didn't need to water; there was enough weekly rain to keep things fine if they were well mulched. Last year I couldn't go anywhere lest the whole crop shriveled. Some normal balance to our weather would be nice; a few snow events, a t-storm or two a week in the summer, a spring where you didn't have to wait til June to plant because of cold snaps and so on. A little frost on the pumpkin in late Oct. 

The last 6 days of January are averaging       40degs.(36/45) or +7.

Month to date is       43.1[+9.3].          January should end at       42.5[+8.8]  Second Place

Reached 54 here yesterday at midnight.

Today:   Slowly falling T's to 42 by sunset, wind w.-breezy, variable clouds, 36 tomorrow AM.

47*(99%RH) here at 6am.       44* at 8am.      42* at Noon.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

actually we dont need the rain and definitely dont want it.

I remember the good old days when we averaged less than 40 inches of rain a year hopefully we're returning to that with drier springs and summers.

Going back 365 days we're still a few inches below normal actually.

Also with warmer waters we will likely see more, not less rain moving forward. Summer 2022 was an anomaly imo

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Looks like a small window of opportunity later next week-hopefully we can get something.  Otherwise the futility record might make a run at March and challenge 97-98

Totally agree. We have three shots in February (1st, 3rd and 6th). If we don’t get it then we can seriously start talking about a snowless winter. 

• Like 2

This winter is more like 97/98 than I thought.

The NE forum corrected me with the fact that my area received over 4 inches early December 1997 in addition to the March storm.

Just like that year, we had the early December storm this winter which provided the same areas with a light snowfall.

In both storms NYC was shut out.

Obviously there are nuances that are different, but from a snowfall perspective it's amazing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

The NE forum corrected me with the fact that my area received over 4 inches early December 1997 in addition to the March storm.

Just like that year, we had the early December storm this winter which provided the same areas with a light snowfall.

Obviously there are nuances that are different, but from a snowfall perspective it's amazing.

Never thought we'd see a warmer winter than that one but here we are 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Going back 365 days we're still a few inches below normal actually.

Also with warmer waters we will likely see more, not less rain moving forward. Summer 2022 was an anomaly imo

It's not all about warmer waters though, air circulation moves west to east so if we can get a nice downsloping westerly flow it will overpower whatever the Atlantic is doing.

22 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah NYC has more of a midatlantic climate,  NE is like another world.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah NYC has more of a midatlantic climate,  NE is like another world.

SNE is becoming more like NYC while we're becoming more like Virginia

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's not all about warmer waters though, air circulation moves west to east so if we can get a nice downsloping westerly flow it will overpower whatever the Atlantic is doing.

It does matter in the summer where our rainfall is primarily convective driven.

Warmer waters means more instability, more vapor in the air, more tropical threats. 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

SNE is becoming more like NYC while we're becoming more like Virginia

It does matter in the summer where our rainfall is primarily convective driven.

Warmer waters means more instability, more vapor in the air, more tropical threats. 

Thats true but mostly for NJ and away from the ocean (ironically enough), here on the south shore we don't see much convection (very much like the Florida beaches.)

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah I am shocked about how warm 1932/1933 were as well. In my warped mind I pictured pre 1950s as an Arctic tundra with feet of snow from November through April :)

That was 1920s and prior.

Maybe 1910s and prior when NYC averaged 35 inches of snow a year and that was without accounting for compaction.

• Rjay unpinned this topic