• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

The GFS, on one of the busiest travel days of the year, would slam:

ATL, CLT, IAD, DCA, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, LGA, BOS

Probably shut down the NEC too, and driving? Ha.

Good luck to anyone trying to get home for Christmas if it verifies.

(the Canadian glances MSP and ORD, I guess?)

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It looks to me like the PV injects energy sooner and further west on the GEM...like Montana.

PV never makes it eastward on the GEM....the whole thing happens pretty early in the run....like look at 84h at H5 on GEM vs GFS....GFS already diving the PV lobe ESE with some ridging on the west coast while GEM has no ridging there and the PV is just going to park in W Canada with nothing to pin it under the NAO block.

FWIW, the NAM at 84h looks like the GFS and not the GEM.

Just now, CT Rain said:

The GFS has a March 93 vibe around here. 

Obv things will change, but just talking GFS, it would be nice if that whole thing came in about 200 miles shallower (further N)....I don't like seeing these stemwinder systems from the gulf....they typically don't end up that great here. They will often be snowy in an absolute sense but usually we get dryslot and/or some mixing issues.

3 minutes ago, ariof said:

The GFS, on one of the busiest travel days of the year, would slam:

ATL, CLT, IAD, DCA, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, LGA, BOS

Probably shut down the NEC too, and driving? Ha.

Good luck to anyone trying to get home for Christmas if it verifies.

(the Canadian glances MSP and ORD, I guess?)

Even the CMC is a disaster for the airports...NYC airports getting those FROPA events usually have LIFR vis/cigs, major low-level shear and 16025G45KTs....no matter what it'll suck for the airports, just a question on the roads and the GFS is worse for that 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Obv things will change, but just talking GFS, it would be nice if that whole thing came in about 200 miles shallower (further N)....I don't like seeing these stemwinder systems from the gulf....they typically don't end up that great here. They will often be snowy in an absolute sense but usually we get dryslot and/or some mixing issues.

This is why I hate Miller A.

Exactly....like I said, take high end off of the table, albeit still major.

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you don't want the thing closing off near ORF. Never too great here locally. 

Gonna be interesting in my new location. Lower elevation further north and east of Worcester just west of 495 (Bolton exit). If it goes over Boston it seems it will go over to rain or freezing rain for a bit here if not to all rain--maybe dryslot? Even so, if that scenario pans out the ground should be white on Christmas. Goes further west, well Welcome Grinchie lol.

Still so early in the game. Could be a big hit, could be another attack of impotent rage for the weenies.

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

might not be a bad thing if that lead surface wave that forms off the carolinas gets going a little

Yeah, if the main shortwave behind that lead wave can catch up just a bit, then you end up with a really high end type system in NE. That's how Feb 2013 happened....there was this little lead wave around the Carolinas and the main shortwave caught it and phased.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Gonna be interesting in my new location. Lower elevation further north and east of Worcester just west of 495 (Bolton exit). If it goes over Boston it seems it will go over to rain or freezing rain for a bit here if not to all rain--maybe dryslot? Even so, if that scenario pans out the ground should be white on Christmas. Goes further west, well Welcome Grinchie lol.

Still so early in the game. Could be a big hit, could be another attack of impotent rage for the weenies.

Depends on antecedent. I never rained in March 1993 superstorm. The 15" of snow, sleet-slot. Inside of 128 rained.