Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Models are suggesting a possible big storm early to mid next week.  The GFS is surging warmth well north, but the Euro and Canadian are more blocky, which allows for a west-east track and ample cold air to work with.

High ENS support for this potential as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Next week's big storm is quickly turning into a Dakotas special. 

if your model watching a storm 5 -7 days out in early to  mid December in such a changeable  pattern and thinking they are on to something, good luck. At this point, I just look for a consistent storm signal somewhere on the models with an influx of cold and gulf moisture. I'll worry about the track later. It'll probably bury Paducah.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Baum said:

if your model watching a storm 5 -7 days out in early to  mid December in such a changeable  pattern and thinking they are on to something, good luck. At this point, I just look for a consistent storm signal somewhere on the models with an influx of cold and gulf moisture. I'll worry about the track later. It'll probably bury Paducah.

it gon rain

On 12/21/2022 at 12:36 AM, cyclone77 said:

Next thing to watch is the little clipper coming through on boxing day for the central/western portions of the sub.  Unfortunately it looks like it will be on the decline as it moves in, but hopefully the models are weakening it a little too quickly.

Latest guidance keeps it together a little bit.

15 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Sorry I was posting about this in the other medium range thread.

I like this one for widespread 1-4” in DVN and LOT. I think these clippers, particularly the more potent ones, routinely overachieve and tend to move further north with time.

Will be interesting to see if people are a little gunshy if it trends better after what just happened.  Can't really compare this setup to the current one though.

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Will be interesting to see if people are a little gunshy if it trends better after what just happened.  Can't really compare this setup to the current one though.

I'd issue a watch with this afternoons package to be on the safe side. All kidding aside, given the wind and cold with this event you can see why the early watches were issued. If we had a foot with this thing...good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2