Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Short/Medium Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

11 minutes ago, Baum said:

I'd issue a watch with this afternoons package to be on the safe side. All kidding aside, given the wind and cold with this event you can see why the early watches were issued. If we had a foot with this thing...good luck.

Too soon man..too soon. Haha

Lot does mention this in long term

LONG TERM...

Issued at 221 AM CST Fri Dec 23 2022

Saturday night through Friday...

* Winds diminish X-mas eve, temps remain very cold X-mas Day

* Clipper system could bring accumulating snow to region late

X-mas night into Monday morning, potentially fairly impactful

* Big pattern change with unseasonable warmth and rain coming

next week

Hmm where did I hear "anyone can paint brush their own snow map". That map doesnt include most of yesterday's snow actually. Not sure why you follow maps anyway. You are proven wrong time and time again with them and then when you are, you simply resort to a generic "we suck". Over the years youve managed to find something wrong with every snow record, snowstorm, etc that occurs, and usually your gripe is with the conditions. Well yesterday the conditions were legit. When it's pointed out how Detroit has had more 6"+ storms last 20 years and a higher average than most non belt Midwest cities, you have to go back to the big dog obsession which no one outside buffalo has had.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Hmm where did I hear "anyone can paint brush their own snow map". That map doesnt include most of yesterday's snow actually. Not sure why you follow maps anyway. You are proven wrong time and time again with them and then when you are, you simply resort to a generic "we suck". Over the years youve managed to find something wrong with every snow record, snowstorm, etc that occurs, and usually your gripe is with the conditions. Well yesterday the conditions were legit. When it's pointed out how Detroit has had more 6"+ storms last 20 years and a higher average than most non belt Midwest cities, you have to go back to the big dog obsession which no one outside buffalo has had.

Lol the paint brush pic looked self made, and had no data. This graphic is legit. It's okay. Enjoy your 2 inches.

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Michigan the snow desert 

Detroit's poor showing is my fault. Been pretty lame since I moved here. It is not always that way, but one thing this area really does struggle with even when it gets a good hit is snow cover retention. And I'm a huge fan of keeping a blanket of white OTG. Going to be a challenge, especially with the climo shifting warmer

33 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Detroit's poor showing is my fault. Been pretty lame since I moved here. It is not always that way, but one thing this area really does struggle with even when it gets a good hit is snow cover retention. And I'm a huge fan of keeping a blanket of white OTG. Going to be a challenge, especially with the climo shifting warmer

Do what I did and move! I've been down in florida 4 winters in a row. I've yet to fly home for a snowstorm because there have been none deserving... 

I will say the 52 today with the wind was a bit chilly. 

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

I think mimillman was being sarcastic lol. Last 3 winters have been around average at Detroit snowfall wise, and the last 2 near average snowcover. Just very Feb based (ie much snowier/whiter in Feb than avg to counter the dull parts of winter). I, like you am a snowcover person. There is no longterm decline in snowcover at all, but of course we are still fairly fresh off the record snowcover 2013-15.

49 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I think mimillman was being sarcastic lol. Last 3 winters have been around average at Detroit snowfall wise, and the last 2 near average snowcover. Just very Feb based (ie much snowier/whiter in Feb than avg to counter the dull parts of winter). I, like you am a snowcover person. There is no longterm decline in snowcover at all, but of course we are still fairly fresh off the record snowcover 2013-15.

South end of Wayne did much better than my area last winter. Using DTW for my annual (just 8 mi S) my total last winter was only 79%. Not close to avg. Even an avg season, when/if spread over too many months (Nov-Apr) is going to have a difficult time impressing anyone. An avg snow total in a condensed 2 or 2.5 mos will feel much more like serious winter. As you noted tho, trend is a stretched-out season with a bunch of dud spells mixed in between. Can't even remember that last condensed avg winter. Seems like we either get a good winter start to finish or complete garbage. 

10 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

South end of Wayne did much better than my area last winter. Using DTW for my annual (just 8 mi S) my total last winter was only 79%. Not close to avg. Even an avg season, when/if spread over too many months (Nov-Apr) is going to have a difficult time impressing anyone. An avg snow total in a condensed 2 or 2.5 mos will feel much more like serious winter. As you noted tho, trend is a stretched-out season with a bunch of dud spells mixed in between. Can't even remember that last condensed avg winter. Seems like we either get a good winter start to finish or complete garbage. 

DTW finished at 47.1" last winter. Not sure what you mean 79%. That is an interesting thought though, it condensed Winter. Winter lasts so long overall but it's not continuous. Would be interesting if we crammed everything into a couple months.

Seems to me there are windows of opportunity each winter. Could argue as to whether the length and number of these windows is diminishing as we move forward. We had one in November and just about finished with this Decembers. Sometimes a pattern emerges as to certain areas being hit repeatedly. This year the upper Midwest with MSP and across Northern half of Wisconsin look favored so far. Probably will have another again latter half of January. So far this winter locally has been about 3 events each barely able to cover the grass.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Seems to me there are windows of opportunity each winter. Could argue as to whether the length and number of these windows is diminishing as we move forward. We had one in November and just about finished with this Decembers. Sometimes a pattern emerges as to certain areas being hit repeatedly. This year the upper Midwest with MSP and across Northern half of Wisconsin look favored so far. Probably will have another again latter half of January. So far this winter locally has been about 3 events each barely able to cover the grass.

I agree with this. This past set looked great on paper for a few hours. In retrospect a bit more snow would have been nice, but getting buried would have been even colder. 

A question for the sharpies. It was below zero all day December 23. How often does that happen at O'Hare? Seems somewhat rare.

13 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

DTW finished at 47.1" last winter. Not sure what you mean 79%. That is an interesting thought though, it condensed Winter. Winter lasts so long overall but it's not continuous. Would be interesting if we crammed everything into a couple months.

I can't be at home every hour of the day so my measuring isn't perfect, but what I recorded last winter was only 35.6" or 79% of the 45" annual average I find for DTW. A far cry from what you got down that way. You did better in almost every storm/event last winter. Sometimes sig better. Canton seemed to draw the short straw in all but the clipper regime. S Streamers and LES failed pretty badly for me here. And every time I thought maybe it was "just me" and due to being at work when things switched to mix or rain. Then I'd see another report from here that confirmed my low number(s). Hoping this is just a blip, and things will reverse at some juncture. But Idk, this may just be low-ball heaven like Macomb Cnty is on that annual snowfall map. 

45 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I can't be at home every hour of the day so my measuring isn't perfect, but what I recorded last winter was only 35.6" or 79% of the 45" annual average I find for DTW. A far cry from what you got down that way. You did better in almost every storm/event last winter. Sometimes sig better. Canton seemed to draw the short straw in all but the clipper regime. S Streamers and LES failed pretty badly for me here. And every time I thought maybe it was "just me" and due to being at work when things switched to mix or rain. Then I'd see another report from here that confirmed my low number(s). Hoping this is just a blip, and things will reverse at some juncture. But Idk, this may just be low-ball heaven like Macomb Cnty is on that annual snowfall map. 

Oh. I'm sorry I misread that. I thought you meant DTW was 79% of average. I have a friend in Livonia who can attest to getting less than DTW/downriver last winter. And again so far this year with the Nov and Dec events so far. I'm sure it's a blip though. You should not avg less than the small spot in Macomb Co or algonac which averages a bit less.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...