joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discobs 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, mappy said:

picked up 1.01" 

Damn!

We got some drizzle here and there, with maybe a 30-second burst of light rain. Radar looked like it was going to be a little more, but it hit a wall and basically stopped right at my doorstep.

Basically a much better day to be farther east if you wanted precip.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Only .30" here, but that's plenty considering I didn't think I'd see anything.

I didn't think it would be that much.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Over-performer for sure. Even for those models insisting on rain I don't recall any pushing totals around an inch in our area.

I don't believe any of them did. 

39 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Damn!

We got some drizzle here and there, with maybe a 30-second burst of light rain. Radar looked like it was going to be a little more, but it hit a wall and basically stopped right at my doorstep.

Basically a much better day to be farther east if you wanted precip.

Yeah, it poured last night for a few hours, and was still raining this morning when I woke up. More than expected for sure.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

woo! great job @Eskimo Joe

Yup. This is a BFD for Maryland. Expect //a lot// of good things from this. We spoke with numerous existing mesonets, the private sector, academia, NWS, and local/state EMs, DOTs, and farmers to make sure this program gets a solid foundation under it. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yup. This is a BFD for Maryland. Expect //a lot// of good things from this. We spoke with numerous existing mesonets, the private sector, academia, NWS, and local/state EMs, DOTs, and farmers to make sure this program gets a solid foundation under it. 

I can imagine it was an undertaking! Good on you for making the first move.

Any idea how many locations will be set up across the state?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can imagine it was an undertaking! Good on you for making the first move.

Any idea how many locations will be set up across the state?

We have secured funding for at least 70 sites. I can't speak too much yet to the nitty gritty on site placement, but we have some UMD staff that are running simulations on where to best place sites relative to census data (population density, societal risk), and existing infrastructure (AWOS, ASOS, USGS stream gauges, etc.). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We have secured funding for at least 70 sites. I can't speak too much yet to the nitty gritty on site placement, but we have some UMD staff that are running simulations on where to best place sites relative to census data (population density, societal risk), and existing infrastructure (AWOS, ASOS, USGS stream gauges, etc.). 

wow 70?! That's awesome! Much needed statewide.

I know its not for you to be in charge of, but def need one up this way. Its a hole without too many official observers. 

Congrats again friend!

• Like 2

Just now, mappy said:

wow 70?! That's awesome! Much needed statewide.

I know its not for you to be in charge of, but def need one up this way. Its a hole without too many official observers. 

Congrats again friend!

We're aware of significant data gaps in northern Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Charles, and Kent counties. The Baltimore County gap is especially problematic for the I-83 corridor in the winter as I'm sure you're aware.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We're aware of significant data gaps in northern Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Charles, and Kent counties. The Baltimore County gap is especially problematic for the I-83 corridor in the winter as I'm sure you're aware.

yassss, glad this area is a priority. 

Might be a bit of clearing ahead of the trough lifting NE this afternoon, but probably still mostly cloudy, especially for eastern areas.

Finally we get some nice Fall weather back tomorrow and through most of the weekend courtesy of High pressure building over eastern Canada behind the front. Low 60s for highs/40s for lows and plenty of sun. Yes, bring that.

gfs_mslpa_us_10.png

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic