• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
TD 9/Ian Banter

MattPetrulli

Texas, after insurers wouldn't write policies in coastal counties after Celia mandated any home insurers in the state had to form a pool to cover them.  Texas Windstorm Insurance Agency.  They have building code standards, and won't write policies if they is an established storm (Ian is nowhere near, but no policies written since 9/26/2022).  I assume Florida has something similar, although only a small area of Texas needs state mandated insurance for hurricane winds and and Florida, the whole state needs it.

Main thread, insured losses may push poorly funded insurance companies under.  If that happens, I wonder if companies will need a minimum reserve to pay claims.  Insurance rates are sure to climb, even in areas not severely impacted in Florida.

4 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

just now seeing rotonda, lol what a dumb ass part of the country

I stayed there as recent as this past Memorial Day weekend in May. Pretty out in the boonies but def some very nice houses around the area. Port Charlotte the most built up. Gonna be sad to see some of the pics most likely coming out of there. 

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Texas, after insurers wouldn't write policies in coastal counties after Celia mandated any home insurers in the state had to form a pool to cover them.  Texas Windstorm Insurance Agency.  They have building code standards, and won't write policies if they is an established storm (Ian is nowhere near, but no policies written since 9/26/2022).  I assume Florida has something similar, although only a small area of Texas needs state mandated insurance for hurricane winds and and Florida, the whole state needs it.

Main thread, insured losses may push poorly funded insurance companies under.  If that happens, I wonder if companies will need a minimum reserve to pay claims.  Insurance rates are sure to climb, even in areas not severely impacted in Florida.

Taxpayers are going to have to bail out coastal richers. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

Well stayed up till 2am to see the latest. Hardly expected to see this go from 120 to 155 mph now. Damn. 

How is Tampa going to fare?-is this thing coming in far enough south to spare them the worst?

Yeah it will spare Tampa/St Pete the worst as the counter-clockwise winds north of the center will be blowing toward the bay and Gulf.  A hit at or just north would have been devastating as it would have pushed a monster storm surge right into that shallow, funnel-shaped bay.  There will be some wind damage but Tampa mostly dodged a huge bullet

• Thanks 1

Leonard Rosen, the marketing dynamo from Baltimore who invented Cape Coral, was a visionary and a rogue. He and his brother Jack got rich selling an anti-baldness tonic made from lanolin, a wool grease secreted by sheep; they promoted it with some of America’s first infomercials, featuring the immortal tagline: “Have you ever seen a bald sheep?”

The Rosens’ real innovation was selling Cape Coral as frenetically as they sold their magic hair products. They gave away homes on game shows like “The Price Is Right.” They brought celebrities like Bob Hope and Anita Bryant to promote the dream. They had telemarketers hawking lots with Glengarry Glen Ross-style blarney. They sent sales reps across the ocean—Gloria Raso Tate’s dad pitched paradise in London and Rome—and planted touts at Florida hotels and attractions, luring tourists to free steak dinners interrupted by salesmen shouting, “Lot No. 18 is sold!” and paid ringers, yelling, “I just bought one!” Prospective buyers were offered free stays at the company motel—where rooms were bugged to help salesmen customize their pitches—and taken on company Cessnas for “fly-and-buys” to see lots the pilots reserved by dropping sacks of flour from the sky. Sometimes the fly-and-buyers ended up with marshy lots nowhere near the drained ones where the sacks landed, but for all the fibs and propaganda, Cape Coral really did boom.

“People say, ‘Are you crazy, living in Florida with all those hurricanes?’” Tattersall told me as we drifted through a slow-speed manatee zone. “Come on. Does this feel crazy?” He recalled a recent outing with his grandchildren where they saw dolphins and stingrays, then watched the thrashing as some jacks fed on a school of mullet. “That’s what life is about, right?” I asked him whether he thought Irma would scare away the next generation of newcomers, and he scoffed. “No way,” he said.

Then he reconsidered: “Look, if we get 15 feet of storm surge, holy shit, that would take out Cape Coral.”

Another pause. He sipped his Bud Light.

“Eh, even then, no way.”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/20/fastest-growing-city-america-florida-cape-coral-215724/

we are about to be blessed watching this cursed community get wrecked before our eyes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1