Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Atlantic hurricane season whining/banter

GaWx

33 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’ve been through the eye or eyewall of:

Alex (Nags Head, Cat 2)

Arthur (Morehead City, Cat 2)

Charley (Nags Head, Cat 1 weakening to TS)

Dorian (Morehead City, Cat 1)

Fran (Raleigh, Cat 1 in Raleigh Cat 3 at landfall)

Ophelia (Morehead City, Cat 1) 

Dennis (Nags Head, Cat 2)

Florence (Jacksonville, Cat 1 with strong Cat 2 gusts. Not technically eyewall but the wind field was incredibly broad)

In every one of these besides Arthur, family experienced significant property damage and in all except Dorian, we were left without power for many days. Damage included partial roof loss- Dennis, Florence

Water Damage from wind/rain- Florence, Dorian, Dennis, Fran, Ophelia, Alex

Tree Damage/lost trees- Fran, Dorian, Ophelia

Lost Dock- Florence, Dennis, Ophelia 

Mathew, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Bertha also all hit family property causing damage, but I did not ride out those storms in the impact zone as the others. I have experience numerous TS and former hurricane impacts. Michael was incredibly damaging at our family farms and we were without power multiple days even though it hit the gulf, for instance. NC may not get powerful hurricanes, but if you live or own property on the coast, you have weathered more storms in recent years than any other spot in the country.

My point for all this- I am obsessed with hurricanes, even though my life is rooted in the middle of a hurricane hotspot. Almost every year we take some level of damage. We have had taken 100’s of thousands of $$$ of property loss and years of repairs from these storms. I’ve held onto the corner of our roof to keep it from flying off while we made repairs in the middle of a storm (Dennis). That being said, it’s a blessing I have gotten to experience the above storms. Each one is a special memory that I physically got to experience that raw power first hand. Was I happy for the damage? Absolutely not. I hope no one has to deal with storm damage. It sucks. Florence’s rain and wind forced water into every nook and cranny it could fit. Water damage is nefarious and can take years, and has taken years, to remedy. But was the roar of the wind, the power and ferocity of the gusts, the sounds of breaking, crashing, roaring and the buildup worth it? Absolutely.

I don’t wish natural disaster on anyone, but it’s something you live with in hurricane areas. No amount of morality is going to wish these storms away, you can only prepare. That argument is absolutely absurd to me. Yes, I enjoyed every hurricane experience, even the damaging ones. There are so many positives too from hurricanes. After Fran, my neighborhood banded together, sharing food, ice chainsaws, batteries and anything else you needed as we were literally stranded for 3-4 days and without power almost 2 weeks. Those days were some of our best memories, despite the destruction around us. If you’ve ever been in one of those storm aftermath situations, you know what I’m talking about. Hurricanes and their destruction are a way of life here, and many other costal areas. As a weather nerd, no one posting on here can’t say they wouldn’t want to experience the power of one firsthand. Watching videos is absolutely nothing compared to 1 minute of actual hurricane force wind and the experience it brings.

No I don’t want my property wiped off the planet, no I don’t want the damage, and I especially do not want the deaths that comes from these storms, but have I enjoyed my experiences in them? Absolutely. Do I enjoy a storm overhead more than I look looking at radar images of one going OTS? Absolutely. It’s one of those things you cannot control, but that weather weenie inside you always hopes to experience the power of these storms in person, despite knowing the consequences and having experienced them firsthand 

A blessing to have experienced such storms?  Really?

So much rationalizing when it's so much easier to enjoy the harmless acts of nature, such as snow.  

The eye of Hurricane Belle passed over Massapequa, we were staying at my Dad's friend from work, Mr. Harkin, because his family lived inland a few miles.  Maybe North Massapequa.  They had cable TV, I almost got to watch an R rated movie with his kids when the power went out.

My Dad would not let me go outside to check out the hurricane.  Belle was barely a Cat 1.

Oh, since 2008 and Ike (and I was reminded 2/21), I now need CPAP because I'm fat.  Sleeping w/o CPAP is hard.  Ike was an adventure, my wife and kids went to Austin until power came back, a guy at work lent me a 5 shot .357 ( I wasn't keeping a gun in my house with toddlers), and I read paperback books when it was light, BBQd steaks I had on ice in a cooler, and used a San Judas Tadeo votive candle as my bathroom nightlight.  Ike pulled a pretty impressive cold front for mid-September in, I don't remember the lack of AC bothering me.

But no CPAP, during the rolling blackouts 2/2021, no fun.  Freezing drizzle at 14F.  It floated like snow, but it was just little specks of ice.  Give me snow or give me warm weather.

It snowed almost an inch here the December after TS Harvey.  (It never produced hurricane winds in the HOU area, although it has lots of short lived tornadoes).  That snow fell just before dawn, it was gone by lunch.  In the 19th Century Houston had a 20 inch storm, it can happen.  Just hasn't happened lately.

49 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah ok.  When's the last time a snowflake destroyed somebody's house?

@ldub23will remind you that people die in car accidents on snowy/icy roads, and while I was on Long Island for the Great Blizzard of February 1978, I saw on the news some people on Route 128 in Massachusetts carbon monoxided themselves to death running the engine for heat in snow over the exhaust.  I missed 5 days of 8th grade in Catholic school.  When Catholic schools had nuns.

The last thing I want is a hurricane to directly hit here. For one thing, a hurricane hitting in this area means I'm going to want to get the hell out of here not just because of the danger of falling trees, but also the possibility of longlasting power outages and the misery that accompanies them. I'm talking even just from a cat 1 H as that's all that it takes to lead to these things. So, due to evacuation, I wouldn't be experiencing it.

On top of all of this, I have a much bigger concern, the safety and comfort of my disabled, mainly bedbound brother, whom I'm the caregiver for. I greatly fear what would happen if we have to evacuate. I couldn't transport him myself and thus would need the equivalent of EMTs and an ambulance just to get him out of here! And then l'd have to deal with where the ambulance would even be able to take him. Even if I could get them to take him out of the danger area (say, 50+ miles inland), it isn't like they could just take him to a hotel. He sleeps on a full powered hospital bed with a special mattress. I flat out don't know how I'd be able to handle this and thus it is downright scary to just think about this.

For those who want to be hit, many of them (assuming they're sane and not selfish and would want best for the loved ones they're caring for) would have a totally different perspective if they were in my shoes. 

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

@ldub23will remind you that people die in car accidents on snowy/icy roads, and while I was on Long Island for the Great Blizzard of February 1978, I saw on the news some people on Route 128 in Massachusetts carbon monoxided themselves to death running the engine for heat in snow over the exhaust.  I missed 5 days of 8th grade in Catholic school.  When Catholic schools had nuns.

That's adding another element though -- being out on the roads.  If you're at home, you have like zero chance of dying from snow.  Meanwhile if you're at home during a hurricane, you could still die from the associated surge or even the wind damage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's adding another element though -- being out on the roads.  If you're at home, you have like zero chance of dying from snow.  Meanwhile if you're at home during a hurricane, you could still die from the associated surge or even the wind damage.

You do know that snow can cave in roofs right? Or that cold can kill you? 

58 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

And if you're home during a blizzard and the power goes out you can literally freeze to death. I'd say that's more likely than dying from the wind or surge in a first world properly constructed house. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How many deaths from caved in roofs bc of snow have we had lately?

You called snow "harmless" I am not here to debate whether snow kills more than hurricanes which I do not have an answer for yet. But simply to show that while rooting for snow can be seen as less destructive there still is destruction that happens alongside it. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How many deaths from wind or surge while people are inside their homes have we had lately?  I'd go out on a limb and say zero or at the very least very close to zero.  Hurricane deaths are basically all from electrocutions from downed power lines, people getting swept away by stupidly driving into flood waters, surfers drowning, or people again stupidly being outside and having tree limbs fall on them.

13 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

You called snow "harmless" I am not here to debate whether snow kills more than hurricanes which I do not have an answer for yet. But simply to show that while rooting for snow can be seen as less destructive there still is destruction that happens alongside it. 

Yesterday I thought "whining/banter" was meant for a joke! LOL

Sorry for jumping in and not reading past a few posts.

I moved to Steamboat Springs, CO in the early 1980's. It snows a lot there, like nowhere I have been.

A client, someone I knew by business, the President of the Bank in town, was using a snow shovel from the ground to try to get the snow off his roof. Well, horrible story is he ended up buried in several feet of snow and it was too late when he was pulled out.

Avalanches kill a lot of people every year.

Snow is deadly.

23 hours ago, Hoosier said:

You want to see people's lives ruined?

As opposed to tornados, especially  severe  tornados. that  many people  want to form to watch them or chase them. Blizzards? Rain? Rain has ruined  many lives. Ever  hear  of  floods? Sunny weather? You want people to get skin cancer?

19 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

As opposed to tornados, especially  severe  tornados. that  many people  want to form to watch them or chase them. Blizzards? Rain? Rain has ruined  many lives. Ever  hear  of  floods? Sunny weather? You want people to get skin cancer?

Don't forget that sunny weather is also commonly associated with heat waves.  Heat kills more people than any other weather phemonena.  This summer's European heat wave has killed over 23,000 people.

5 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Don't forget that sunny weather is also commonly associated with heat waves.  Heat kills more people than any other weather phemonena.  This summer's European heat wave has killed over 23,000 people.

Obviously, anyone wanting  sunny weather  is a  death dealing  ghoul.

On a serious  note  i got  some  bad  news today. My eyesight  has  been getting really  blurry. I went to an Opthamologist. She  said  i have Ocutropulus. It only effects people squinting at satellite  pictures to find  clouds  in the tropics. Please  pray for  me.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

February 15-20 2021 Winter Storm- At least 29 fatalities 

February 13-17 2012 Winter Storm -Hundreds estimated but 290 confirmed fatalities, costliest natural disaster in US history

January 2018 Blizzard - 18 fatalities  

March 2017 Blizzard-  Unconfirmed 16 fatalities 

January 2016 Blizzard - 55 fatalities 

Dec 2015 Snowstorm  - 59 fatalities 

Point is, snowstorms definitely kill people and can be very costly. All forms of weather one way or another kill people and cause damage. Too much sun and dry weather? you get wildfires and droughts. Too much rain? You get floods. There's not a possible way to balance things out and some random guy named Joe in the state of Wyoming obsessed with this stuff isn't gonna change the way the weather works at all. The morality debates are stupid and pointless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Man, someone who thinks snow is harmless has never been in a blizzard or a Nor’easter before. We’ve had winter storms here with impacts far outweighing the tropical systems we’ve had hit on Long Island. I’m only really counting Gloria, Irene and Sandy as the biggest tropical storms I’ve experienced but winds in a blizzard or a Nor’easter can easily knock power out and freeze your pipes or turn the house into an ice box or significantly damage your property.  Exhaust pipes ice up or clog with snow and kill people. A 70-mph wind in a snow storm can kill someone’s in their car going to work, because they have to, just as easily as a 90 or 100-mph wind in a hurricane. Coasts can flood worse during a winter storm than a tropical storm. It’s not as much as apples and oranges as may appear. 

Nice post @NorthHillsWx

I’m always relieved to see a storm go out to sea, honestly. We’ve taken significant damage to our house twice because of severe T-storms in the summer (2 different downburst storms) and my wife’s grandmother lost her house completely to Sandy. But, I do have a fair amount of “good” experiences in those post-aftermath situations where you see the good (mostly) in people. I was 8 and stood in the eye of Gloria. I still remember and it’s probably why I’ve always been fascinated by weather. I mean, we’re all on this site for a reason, right? There’s something pretty awesome about God or whatever have you showing you exactly what he or she is capable of. I don’t think any rational person wants death and destruction but the weather fan in you is definitely fascinated by what Mother Nature is capable of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ldub23 said:

On a serious  note  i got  some  bad  news today. My eyesight  has  been getting really  blurry. I went to an Opthamologist. She  said  i have Ocutropulus. It only effects people squinting at satellite  pictures to find  clouds  in the tropics. Please  pray for  me.

Good evening idub23. I will pray for you …… for far better reasons than stated. As always …..

1 hour ago, ldub23 said:

Post of the year candidate 

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Y'all keep trying to deflect or move the goalposts.

Let me ask a question.  If you are in your home (whatever type of home it may be... well built, not well built, mobile home, whatever), are you in more danger if you're watching a snowstorm or a hurricane out of your window?

Honestly I would say it's equal with basically the same risks for both: tree falling on the house or power going out causing either extreme cold in a snowstorm or extreme heat in a hurricane. There really aren't any other risks if you ride out the storm in a house. 

2 hours ago, thunderbolt said:

I guess everybody will look at La Niña’s a little bit different in the future it’s not a slam dunk like it used to be Obviously there’s other pieces of puzzles that trump la Niña

Im hoping  next  years elenino will end  up active  in the atlantic.