Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Atlantic hurricane season whining/banter

GaWx

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

We all thought that 2022 would be like 2013 all over again, boy we were so wrong. My other weather forum did 2013 comparisons until Earl/Fiona/Gaston/Hermine/Ian combo came and produced over 60 ACE combined!

Who are you referring to in saying "we all"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, cptcatz said:

We're getting to a point where this so called backloaded season may not happen either. 

With 91L (along with possibly 92L) being an increased threat to form and considering that 5 TCs formed after the peak date of the season climowise (Sept 14th+) resulting in one of the most active 2nd halves of September on record, this is already highly debatable imho. What exactly is meant by a backloaded season?

This season is very likely to finish BN for total named storms and ACE but it most certainly was backloaded. Where were we on August 31 and where are we now? That’s backloaded to me. We’ll see if October produces like it looks like it will. If October fails to produce, then there may be a debate as to how late September systems don’t really qualify as “backloaded” in a long season 

• Thanks 1

Last week I was in Yellowstone National park during hurricane Ian. I had very limited access to cell service, and obviously models and radar. I’d like to thank this board for an epic thread that needs to be saved. Since I got back, I’ve had time to go back and read discussion from Monday-Friday and it is absolutely a benchmark system both from strength, impact, and degree of forecasting difficulty. As always, excellent discussion on this board of another great American hurricane 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

With 91L (along with possibly 92L) being an increased threat to form and considering that 5 TCs formed after the peak date of the season climowise (Sept 14th+) resulting in one of the most active 2nd halves of September on record, this is already highly debatable imho. What exactly is meant by a backloaded season?

I see the entire month of September as peak season. I'm pretty sure that every September in the history of hurricane tracking has been "active". I see an active July and August as front loaded and an active October and November as backloaded. Fiona and Ian occurred during peak season and I wouldn't consider those being included in a backloaded season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cptcatz said:

I see the entire month of September as peak season. I'm pretty sure that every September in the history of hurricane tracking has been "active". I see an active July and August as front loaded and an active October and November as backloaded. Fiona and Ian occurred during peak season and I wouldn't consider those being included in a backloaded season. 

So far, there are no indications that this month will be quiet. How active, of course, remains to be seen.