Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

47 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son was driving home in RI and saw the Falcon 9 launch from FL

I guess you could see it in Maine (which is where this pic is from)

03033122-0568-4E70-8FBF-E198E306F2B9.jpeg

That’s nuts to me.  I know you can see stuff from a long way away when it’s up in the sky, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was so visible launching from FL.  Right atmospheric conditions too?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s nuts to me.  I know you can see stuff from a long way away when it’s up in the sky, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was so visible launching from FL.  Right atmospheric conditions too?

Clear sky and at an ideal degree I guess?   It was quite impressive and lasted over a minute.  We watched it go from the big white jellyfish shape to a little red dot, so I assume that is when the booster disengaged?  It was a chatty ride home with my kid, that's for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Clear sky and at an ideal degree I guess?   It was quite impressive and lasted over a minute.  We watched it go from the big white jellyfish shape to a little red dot, so I assume that is when the booster disengaged?  It was a chatty ride home with my kid, that's for sure.

That’s like the end of a Marvel movie when they show people driving home while there’s a huge flash and blast off into space… and some superhero is flying fist-first upward.

Or maybe the discussion is Kim Jong-um or China is firing test launches in the North Atlantic.  That conversation could go either direction, ha.

Pretty cool so many people saw it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Yes.  Yesterday morning it was mid 30s and snowing for a few hours.  There is. Video of it on Facebook but I don't tmhink it will link unless your a member of the lake page.

Deeper cold allowed for more ice crystals, growing into flakes, in the ADKs.  Snow levels fell to 1,800-2,200ft+ and that’s the average inhabited level in a good part of a few counties.

• Like 1

This winter is going to be ugly for energy costs. Expect to see this coming to other New England states as the winter electricity costs adjust. 

Looks like National Grid is raising rates from .30 to .49 kwh. That is an unprecedented rate increase that will make it the most expensive in the US. Electricity in many states is still around .08-.12 kwh. Hawaii currently has the most expensive at .44.

Many Mass. Customers Will See a 64% Increase in Their Electric Bills This Winter. National Grid announced the hike Wednesday, along with a 22% increase in natural gas prices.

National Grid said the monthly bill of a typical residential customer using 600 kilowatt-hours will increase from $179 last winter to about $293 this winter, an increase of about 64%. National Grid said the delivery portion of electric bills will basically remain flat.

The company also announced that its natural gas rates are expected to rise on Nov. 1. They have a pending proposal with the state Department of Public Utilities that would result in the monthly bill for an average Boston Gas residential heating customer using 115 therms per month of $278, an increase of $50, or 22%, compared to last winter's rates.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/some-massachusetts-customers-will-see-a-64-increase-in-their-electric-bills-this-winter/2840633/

• Sad 1

I want to give a shout out to a good friend of mine, Bob Turk  who is retiring as an on air weather personality after 49 1/2 years at Ch 13 WJZ-TV in Baltimore.  Bob and I grew up in the same neighborhood in the NW suburb of Baltimore. He is 9 years older than me. Like me he is a geography major.  Back around 1972 he answered a newspaper ad in the Baltimore Sun as Ch 13 was looking for an on air weather personality.  He got the job and has been a staple of Baltimore TV since then.  In the days before radar I would frequently call him before going on air to let him know if any thunderstorms were popping up.  I would go down to the station frequently and hang out.  Bob is not a meteorologist but  has enough knowledge to forecast pretty accurately. Growing up and living in the same city also helps.  He has a passion for weather and that is what is important in the business (in my opinion).  When I graduated collage I decided to relocate to new England.  My friends threw me a going away get together and Bob was there.  We have maintained a friendship and frequently converse during weather events.  Bob is probably the longest on air weather personality and possibly the longest on air personality in the country.  (Harvey was probably pretty close)

I wish him the best in retirement.  He deserves it at 75 years old and being on TV every night.

bob.jpg

save as.jpg

• Like 5

Having this depressing round table talk about how expensive energy costs are going to be in New England this winter from an energy analyst guy, and man, the sh.it is grim.  The one thing he said is a "positive" is the long range weather is calling for above normal temps.

I guess it will be a lame winter, weatherwise and for energy cost as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Having this depressing round table talk about how expensive energy costs are going to be in New England this winter from an energy analyst guy, and man, the sh.it is grim.  The one thing he said is a "positive" is the long range weather is calling for above normal temps.

I guess it will be a lame winter, weatherwise and for energy cost as well.

Another unprecedented 160% electricity rate increase for Unitil customers in New Hampshire.

Unitil customers can expect a significant rate increase in December, if the utility’s Friday request is granted.

Unitil is asking to increase electric rates to 26 cents per kilowatt-hour, which would take effect on Dec. 1 and last for eight months. That’s a 160 percent increase from the current rate of 10 cents. A typical household can expect its bill to increase 75 to 78 percent, or $85 to $100 depending on energy use.

https://www.nhbr.com/unitil-seeks-160-rate-increase/

When we sold out house we decided to rent our new house in Maine months before we planned to move because utilities were included. And it's an amazing house with a big garage. I imagine come April if we re-new the rent will be jumping up big time. We are very respectful about our usage though and take care of our landlord's responsibilities (landscaping, snow removal) in trying to be good tenants and hopefully it will not be too much of an increase. There are smaller and older homes around us with nothing included $600-800 more per month. Just insane. We would like to hold-off buying for another year but shall see. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Thur nite football . Tua leaving on a stretcher . He was thrown down and then his fingers were sort of frozen in a curled fashion when he hit ground...head trauma 

That's ugly right there, After last week, He should not have been playing period, The league needs to evaluate themselves for allowing this..

• Like 1