Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is a fair point....but it wasn't like a top 5er for me in terms of snowfall....maybe at the time it was.

I’m pretty confident if your area had 23” based on how ever joe overalls woke up and measured it , it wound  have been 28-30” if cleared every 6 hrs on a snowboard . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think Jan 05 on the cape and Feb 78 from the s shore into N RI are about as it bad as a storm will ever get in this region for snow/wind combo.

Feb 13' in CT and Dec '92 in the Berkshires for snowfall specifically.

Region being? I mean we got crushed in Jan but yea for (just saw your edit)

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m pretty confident if your area had 23” based on how ever joe overalls woke up and measured it , it wound  have been 30” if cleared every 6 hrs on a snowboard . Very confident in that 

This is true.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Region being? I mean we got crushed in Jan but yea for (just saw your edit)

SNE.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is true.

SNE.

Funny story about 78. So the Westerly airport Observer bailed out mid storm and couldn't get back for 2 days. So he entered 20 inches which of course was compacted and refrozen. I lived about 3 miles NE of the airport and easily had  2.5 to 3 feet in protected areas. But the record shows...

I don't think it would have been 28-30", @STILL N OF PIKE......if we are saying 23" (don't have the climo data in front of me, it was probably like 26-27"...normal rate of compaction is about 1"/10' snowfall. Granted the wind was strong, which would augment compaction, but the rates were not super intense lake effect level like the March 2018 deal was IMBY. I was more like consistent 1"/hr over a 24 hour stretch with like a 10: ratio......its the low water content fluff like I saw in March 2018 that compacts more.

24 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

I really would like to get some appreciable rainfall up here, but goodluck for anyone buying this evolution. 

22507543.gif

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So HRRR ànd 3K which should be handling this are crap, damn

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I still watching for the messenger shuffle on those high res models.   Hoping that doesn’t happen

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maybe my old school self but something is brewing today. Just feels like it. Some nice swirling wind gusts, mixed clouds with moisture streaming up off the Atlantic 

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Back to the here and now for those who hate us discussing old stuff.  3 k Nam crushes. 

index (2).png

index (3).png

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

Any mention of the upcoming rain?  Or anything relevant? 

You are such a nerd

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maybe my old school self but something is brewing today. Just feels like it. Some nice swirling wind gusts, mixed clouds with moisture streaming up off the Atlantic 

Yup I think a narrow area might have some pretty good flooding. Where that is who knows at this point

This system is very tilted with height. So there is room for some significant strengthening. But look at this upper-level look. I don't think some of the hi-res can be discounted. At this point, even being so close in, I don't think any solution can be discounted. There is no hardcore evidence of any one solution having more merit than another. There has been some ensemble support to. 

image.png.f740e3a2444ac55317ab101f7be77d21.png

• Like 1

The biggest problem I see with this event is the axis of heavy rainfall is going to be pretty small. So even if it does end up onshore somewhere, I think a relatively small area is going to get good rain. It doesn’t look like there is a bunch of widespread rain outside of the heaviest stuff. So it’s basically going to be a have and a bunch of have nots 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The biggest problem I see with this event is the axis of heavy rainfall is going to be pretty small. So even if it does end up onshore somewhere, I think a relatively small area is going to get good rain. It doesn’t look like there is a bunch of widespread rain outside of the heaviest stuff. So it’s basically going to be a have and a bunch of have nots 

Disagree. A sizeable area should get smoked,  whether SNE or NNE is the question 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

From what I can gather, amounts were in the low 20s...maybe the wind was epic, but the snowfall totals were not.

Hell no....at least   28-30 inches of snow. Huge drifts. Whiteout conditions for hours. Everything was closed for days.  Transportation was halted.  You had to be alive and of a certain age to truly understand the impact the Blizzard of 78 had on the Merrimack Valley area.

Most of the streets in Lawrence and Methuen looked similar to the one below.  And keep in mind that the picture was likely taken a couple of days after the blizzard had ended.  My car was completely buried by snow and blowing snow. I could only see part of the antennae. 

BLIZZARD OF '78  'It was a wall of snow'  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Hell no....at least   28-30 inches of snow. Huge drifts. Whiteout conditions for hours. Everything was closed for days.  Transportation was halted.  You had to be alive and of a certain age to truly understand the impact the Blizzard of 78 had on the Merrimack Valley area.

Most of the streets in Lawrence and Methuen looked similar to the one below.  And keep in mind that the picture was likely taken a couple of days after the blizzard had ended.  My car was completely buried by snow and blowing snow. I could only see part of the antennae. 

BLIZZARD OF '78  'It was a wall of snow'  

I'll defer to you on that since you lived it and I didn't. I also think a lot of the records from a storm like that are crap and not very accurate, as Steve alluded to.

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll defer to you on that since you lived it and I didn't. I also think a lot of the records from a storm like that are crap and not very accurate, as Steve alluded to.

I do not think they are crap at all.  I measured 27.5 in Lawrence in an open field at the cemetery. And keep in mind that measurement took place Tuesday(Feb 7th) afternoon.  Friends and I were on the way to the Reservoir in Lawrence to go sledding.  To get there we had to walk by the cemetery. We took a yard stick with us to measure the snow. I recall it like it was yesterday lol