Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Especially here. The West is probably laughing at us. 

Well the West is virtually a desert anyways, so it's not like it's difficult to have droughts there.  Our's normally don't last that long but water conservation goes a long way in mitigating impacts that span year-to-year.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Here's link to page Ginx posted images of.  You can zoom  in/out on areas.

https://www.drought.gov/current-conditions

Conditions are not good over eastern areas of MA by any metric you look at.

Nah that's not Palmer long term. It's extremely dry on the surface but reservoir and ground water levels aren't close to historical lows. No doubt we need rain but we will survive. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, but our climate is much wetter than their climate. So this weather is causing serious vegetation issues. 

Crackling lawns as you walk around. Very very tough year for farmers especially hay yields. We will pay the piper at some point. I have to say this ocean storm backing in is intriguing and half reminds me of March 18 with so much model waffling.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, but our climate is much wetter than their climate. So this weather is causing serious vegetation issues. 

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Well the West is virtually a desert anyways, so it's not like it's difficult to have droughts there.  Our's normally don't last that long but water conservation goes a long way in mitigating impacts that span year-to-year.

I don't dispute at all that there are serious vegetation issues within the region and that we are seeing that. But IMO drought should be used as an extreme term. Save that term for when things are really extreme. There is a difference between abnormally dry and flat out drought. 

The drought talk is being used too much too because of this summer. The majority of our precipitation during the summer months is convectively driven, not synoptically driven. With that there will be certain areas which get hit hard with convection and other areas that don't get much at all. One area getting hit by a thunderstorm 2-3 times could see as much as 2-3-4'' of rain. Hell, one thunderstorm could drop a quick 1.5-2.5''. 

Sure coming into this summer with a bit of a deficit didn't help. If we move through the fall with little rain or winter with not much snow then I think the drought term would have much more value.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't dispute at all that there are serious vegetation issues within the region and that we are seeing that. But IMO drought should be used as an extreme term. Save that term for when things are really extreme. There is a difference between abnormally dry and flat out drought. 

The drought talk is being used too much too because of this summer. The majority of our precipitation during the summer months is convectively driven, not synoptically driven. With that there will be certain areas which get hit hard with convection and other areas that don't get much at all. One area getting hit by a thunderstorm 2-3 times could see as much as 2-3-4'' of rain. Hell, one thunderstorm could drop a quick 1.5-2.5''. 

Sure coming into this summer with a bit of a deficit didn't help. If we move through the fall with little rain or winter with not much snow then I think the drought term would have much more value.

There are different kinds of drought.  Surface soli, surface water, groundwater. Long term Palmer blend covers that. Quantifying each is muddled in that crazy drought monitor. 

• Like 2