Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

Very warm day incoming. 

Looks like 88 over down town traffic jams under high sun.  Wouldn’t wanna be a roofer or an asphalt layer  

Smell of rising DP late afternoon sets up a milder night. Tuesday is unclear.  If the sun penetrates more it’ll nick 90 ahead of dry cool front.  It would be better if we get some rain out of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This summer has been lovely...no complaints. I hit 48 Saturday night.

Not to be a nudge but the hemisphere might be entering a regime change and/or 'relaxation' of the recent ~ 50-day (and counting) persistence.  The verdict is till out on which...

It's been utopia, really.  I was just commenting outside this social media, this is the 3rd consecutive morning dawned utterly flawless in the heavens, in every direction or dimensional metric of observation.   It's like mesmerizingly serene, in still purified air of low DP under unadulterated blue being penetrated by cathartic morning sun. Some 50 mi visibility air mass lingering for 3 days??!  This latter aspect is interesting; it is exceedingly difficult to pull that off at this time of year, when continental bio phages and industry et al, cook in the sun to chemically generate ozone.  Moreover, it is not cold at nights, either - just seasonally cool for some but mild for most .. Yes, there are gossamer chillier outliers for being decoupled stranded dales, but everyone has been recovering to Hollywood pool party afternoons. And it's been going on for weeks... whaaa

Someone recently made the conjecture/metaphor to this being the antithesis to that 2015 Feb.  I'm not sure that's a terrible comparison from a purer statistical scalar percentage.   I wonder ... if the odds of getting a 2015 February are about the same as sustaining nearly 2 months of this Pandorian dream in spring into summer.  Lol, imagine trying to submit that study for a Master's approval - 

It's really been, most of the recent way ... (when considering objective observation + all subjective intents and purposes )/ 2 =  the best imaginable weather that can be produced by the Terran system...

That said, I don't believe it will be as well supported, moving through and beyond this week - although the weather won't be horrible to some individuals.  I mean...we have to keep in mind, some like sack-sticker sultriness.  And no, this isn't just because we are approaching the apex of summer climo. This is more to do with the mode of the circulation showing some definitive changes as we near the 20th.  

I feel pretty confident we are relaxing the flow - at least that much, beyond D6.  There is a coherent enough signal in the EPS/GEFs.  As usual, it is the operation versions day dreaming as to what that will mean.

The Euro wants to completely alter the hemisphere in such a way that removes the SE Canadian nadir that's been like The Man Who Came To Dinner.  Really by D10 it is completely zonal through there, .. an aspect of summer flow structure not seen probably since 2012 (lol).  Meanwhile, a NE Maritime/D. Straight positive characteristic NAO.  By that time, it's modulated >90% of the entire contiguous U.S. area to > +18C at 850 mb!   I don't think I've ever seen that modeled.

The GFS, while relaxing, still nods to persistence.  Though it finally stems off the gradient and velocities of the erstwhile, unusually strong polar jet, it still 'sags' the flow and offers enough suppression to keep the model's general cool bias alive.  I don't know... but the Euro above seems excessive, where this model's patented cool bias in the extended sort of offset one another. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Perhaps that will moderate also, seems to be the theme of the season. 

idk...this one looks more legit with right now a mild down at best behind it. I think we'll see a few big heat days in that 1-2+ week period. Especially if we can tap and advect in plumes of modified excessive heat out of that Plains ridge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a nudge but the hemisphere might be entering a regime change and/or 'relaxation' of the recent ~ 50-day (and counting) persistence.  The verdict is till out on which...

It's been utopia, really.  I was just commenting outside this social media, this is the 3rd consecutive morning dawned utterly flawless in the heavens, in every direction or dimensional metric of observation.   It's like mesmerizingly serene, in still purified air of low DP under unadulterated blue being penetrated by cathartic morning sun. Some 50 mi visibility air mass lingering for 3 days??!  This latter aspect is interesting; it is exceedingly difficult to pull that off at this time of year, when continental bio phages and industry et al, cook in the sun to chemically generate ozone.  Moreover, it is not cold at nights, either - just seasonally cool for some but mild for most .. Yes, there are gossamer chillier outliers for being decoupled stranded dales, but everyone has been recovering to Hollywood pool party afternoons. And it's been going on for weeks... whaaa

Someone recently made the conjecture/metaphor to this being the antithesis to that 2015 Feb.  I'm not sure that's a terrible comparison from a purer statistical scalar percentage.   I wonder ... if the odds of getting a 2015 February are about the same as sustaining nearly 2 months of this Pandorian dream in spring into summer.  Lol, imagine trying to submit that study for a Master's approval - 

It's really been, most of the recent way ... (when considering objective observation + all subjective intents and purposes )/ 2 =  the best imaginable weather that can be produced by the Terran system...

That said, I don't believe it will be as well supported, moving through and beyond this week - although the weather won't be horrible to some individuals.  I mean...we have to keep in mind, some like sack-sticker sultriness.  And no, this isn't just because we are approaching the apex of summer climo. This is more to do with the mode of the circulation showing some definitive changes as we near the 20th.  

I feel pretty confident we are relaxing the flow - at least that much, beyond D6.  There is a coherent enough signal in the EPS/GEFs.  As usual, it is the operation versions day dreaming as to what that will mean.

The Euro wants to completely alter the hemisphere in such a way that removes the SE Canadian nadir that's been like The Man Who Came To Dinner.  Really by D10 it is completely zonal through there, .. an aspect of summer flow structure not seen probably since 2012 (lol).  Meanwhile, a NE Maritime/D. Straight positive characteristic NAO.  By that time, it's modulated >90% of the entire contiguous U.S. area to > +18C at 850 mb!   I don't think I've ever seen that modeled.

The GFS, while relaxing, still nods to persistence.  Though it finally stems off the gradient and velocities of the erstwhile, unusually strong polar jet, it still 'sags' the flow and offers enough suppression to keep the model's general cool bias alive.  I don't know... but the Euro above seems excessive, where this model's patented cool bias in the extended sort of offset one another. 

I'm sure we'll get a few weeks of humidity on the back half of summer....but we've had our fun. Its like, do you mind a shitty Feb-March if Dec and January pull 40" apiece?

• Like 2

At this point we really may never get into the bigger heat or anything sustained at least. The pattern across the Arctic domain just doesn't want to let up. That omega block pattern just continues to be persistent. These pieces of shortwave energy which move into southeastern Canada just ride along the jet stream and amplify significantly as they move into southeastern Canada with that strong ridging in the polar region. Also that ridging keeps oscillating between the interior West and central Plains. 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk...this one looks more legit with right now a mild down at best behind it. I think we'll see a few big heat days in that 1-2+ week period. Especially if we can tap and advect in plumes of modified excessive heat out of that Plains ridge.

image.png.b5df80cadebabab2894c8f9c8af7de69.png

Some of the GEFs individual members ( 00z suite ) actually look more Euro like and even add some, like this guy above. 

That's 606 ping DAM over ORD there! ... zomb.  Just to be goofy for a moment, given what's been proven heat wise can happen already, and our own points of discussion re synergizing big heat globally and coming home to roast... et al, is there any doubt that 100 F plexus above? 

The means is obviously less than this. In general I agree, and as this method of 'cross guidance' also suggests/adds confidence, it's probably more legit this time that these laze faire days of wonder may become rarer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm sure we'll get a few weeks of humidity on the back half of summer....but we've had our fun. Its like, do you mind a shitty Feb-March if Dec and January pull 40" apiece?

Yup...mid July and it hasn't really felt like summer yet. At least not compared to what we've gotten used to over the last 2 decades. Even if it comes in hot and heavy for a few weeks the window of potential oppressiveness has been narrowed. I think it'd have to be balls to the wall heat and humidity from this weekend into early September to really change the theme in my head describing this warm season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Oh sure...

Personally?  I don't play the inventory game...I'm just reporting what it looks like going forward, and that folks should probably not expect the same as where we've been.  If this/these changes did not appear legit, I wouldn't bother. 

But to answer your question for the sake of muse, ... mm, I kinda do mind that...  I don't like having to wait out 90 days of anadyne nothingness in the winter.

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

At this point we really may never get into the bigger heat or anything sustained at least. The pattern across the Arctic domain just doesn't want to let up. That omega block pattern just continues to be persistent. These pieces of shortwave energy which move into southeastern Canada just ride along the jet stream and amplify significantly as they move into southeastern Canada with that strong ridging in the polar region. Also that ridging keeps oscillating between the interior West and central Plains. 

Trust me, you don't want it. :(

• Confused 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I don't want to be under the death ridge with no convection lol. You've just been baking outside of the solid severe chances you had a few months ago but everything missed you.

We've had .07 of rain since June 10 lmao. We had back to back days of 102 with a dew point of like 73. I get jealous looking at how comfortable it is up there.

6 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

We've had .07 of rain since June 10 lmao. We had back to back days of 102 with a dew point of like 73. I get jealous looking at how comfortable it is up there.

That sounds great but that is pointless without any thunderstorm chances. Just like winter...cold is pointless without snow. 80's with dewpoints in the lower 70's is perfect...because then at night it drops into the 70's and it's very comfortable to be outside. Maybe the Gulf will pick up with tropical and you'll get remnants. 

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yup. Exactly. And those removing articles of clothing for a HHH stretch are the ones who think winter ends March 1st. Applying their logic, the clock is ticking on summeh.

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh sure...

Personally?  I don't play the inventory game...I'm just reporting what it looks like going forward, and that folks should probably not expect the same as where we've been.  If this/these changes did not appear legit, I wouldn't bother. 

But to answer your question for the sake of muse, ... mm, I kinda do mind that...  I don't like having to wait out 90 days of anadyne nothingness in the winter.

Sure, I would rather wall to wall fun and mayhem, too.....but if I have the option of 15" each month to average snowfall, or a 40" dump crowed by "lame", then I would take the latter. I prefer something memorable to fourth months of forgettable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup...mid July and it hasn't really felt like summer yet. At least not compared to what we've gotten used to over the last 2 decades. Even if it comes in hot and heavy for a few weeks the window of potential oppressiveness has been narrowed. I think it'd have to be balls to the wall heat and humidity from this weekend into early September to really change the theme in my head describing this warm season.

Everyone agrees. We’ll need continuous 90/70 readings in back yard mulch piles for all those HHH forecasts issued back in MAMJ to gain an ounce of credibility. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. Exactly. And those removing article of clothing for a HHH stretch are the ones who think winter ends March 1st. Applying their logic, the clock is ticking on summeh.

Clock is ticking on the window for extreme heat, but plenty of time for humidity....right into early October is fair game for that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Clock is ticking on the window for extreme heat, but plenty of time for humidity....right into early October is fair game for that.

October is usually* too late here but we've had notable heat in September - 1999, 2002 (9/02 tied for our hottest day here) and late month humid u80s in 2017.

*Had very warm (near 80, 27° AN) and humid in late October 1979, in Fort Kent.

Mm... I wouldn't say 'clock is ticking' in spirit of what that means, on just July 11.  Plenty of time... 

I'd say that on Aug 11.   I mean, if we're going to play that interpretation game, we don't typically get very large numbers in June anyway ( although that may be changing in CC/future... who knows), so we're only 11 days into the "hot climo"  - it sounds like rushing things.  

• Like 1