Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

How many wall mounted?  I got a quote for 5 wall mounted and 2 outside  condenser units and think it was 25-26K.  I guess had a little sticker shock, so I am sticking with the Midea's I bought last year for now...lol.

Granted, that was only 1 quote, I didn't totally shop around, but figured other would be in that neighborhood, even if a cheaper. 

All of them . I would only need 1 outside unit . I’ve had 3 quotes .. all in same general ballpark . Even my buddy from HS can’t do much on prices.. which I get .He’ll do some of the equipment at cost .. but with 3 guys working to install .. can only do so much . These HVAC guys work their tails off.. and are compensated very well 

30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

How many wall mounted?  I got a quote for 5 wall mounted and 2 outside  condenser units and think it was 25-26K.  I guess had a little sticker shock, so I am sticking with the Midea's I bought last year for now...lol.

Granted, that was only 1 quote, I didn't totally shop around, but figured other would be in that neighborhood, even if a cheaper. 

That seems like a lot.  Efficiency Vermont does some decent rebates, though no where near as good as they were just 2-3 years ago.  We are doing one condenser and three heads for $9k.  Needing two condensers though likely is a big step up as the heads aren’t *that* much more to add.  I know once over like 1500-1700 square feet you’ll max out one.

Friends who have done it said it helped a lot this past winter with heating prices.  Still need to burn oil or propane from all the fake cold nights, but really helped them in shoulder season late fall and early spring… like the Nov/March stuff.

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That seems like a lot.  Efficiency Vermont does some decent rebates, though no where near as good as they were just 2-3 years ago.  We are doing one condenser and three heads for $9k.  Needing two condensers though likely is a big step up as the heads aren’t *that* much more to add.  I know once over like 1500-1700 square feet you’ll max out one.

Friends who have done it said it helped a lot this past winter with heating prices.  Still need to burn oil or propane from all the fake cold nights, but really helped them in shoulder season late fall and early spring… like the Nov/March stuff.

Pretty much exactly what he told me today .. literally verbatim . You won’t need oil in the mild months of Nov/ Dec/ Napril 

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All of them . I would only need 1 outside unit . I’ve had 3 quotes .. all in same general ballpark . Even my buddy from HS can’t do much on prices.. which I get .He’ll do some of the equipment at cost .. but with 3 guys working to install .. can only do so much . These HVAC guys work their tails off.. and are compensated very well 

I did 4 wall mounted with potential to hook up a 5th in the basement when we finished it. One 55,000 btu condenser. I ended up just under 15k. Did the entire winter on those units alone, but we also have solar so the electricity we used is a wash for us.

Kevin, you'll appreciate that we flipped them over to cooling today. Install complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I work in a skilled trade. These units are expensive because skilled state licensed hvac techs and electricians are installing them that are being paid around $50+ hr. The companies need to pull permits and do everything to the T in order for the homeowners to get the generous state rebates. You can't cut any corners when the state rebate is looking everything over. Despite the high install cost these units will save an incredible amount of money in energy costs. 

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I did 4 wall mounted with potential to hook up a 5th in the basement when we finished it. One 55,000 btu condenser. I ended up just under 15k. Did the entire winter on those units alone, but we also have solar so the electricity we used is a wash for us.

Kevin, you'll appreciate that we flipped them over to cooling today. Install complete.

That’s awesome man . Love to see it. Even in coastal Maine .. AC is needed in early - mid Mayorch 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I work in a skilled trade. These units are expensive because skilled state licensed hvac techs and electricians are installing them that are being paid around $50+ hr. The companies need to pull permits and do everything to the T in order for the homeowners to get the generous state rebates. You can't cut any corners when the state rebate is looking everything over. Despite the high install cost these units will save an incredible amount of money in energy costs. 

He owns the company and told me today he turned down an offer from Aiello several years ago for $175k salary a year because of how they cut corners . He said in this industry you’ve got to do everything by the book 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Judging by some of the responses here, does seem a little high, maybe I could find something closer to 20K. He said something like, "We're not the cheapest, but we are the best". Ha.  I guess I kind of went in a little blind not doing a ton of research on overall cost and didn't factor in the pretty high labor costs. 

31 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Down to 72.4, but great summer night out there.  Really loving this

Was just out…78° on the car thermo in town. Quickly fell to 73° up my hill. 73.3° on the Davis right now. 80.8° in the bedroom. May have to sleep naked…especially if C’s hold on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

I just ordered one of these.  It should be here Tuesday. I'm not ready to get mini-splits yet and this seems to be a better version of window AC unit.  Plus it's eligible for a $100 rebate from the state's efficiency utility. 

Great minds think a like. Mine will be here Sunday for the refurbished Living room kitchen 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Great minds think a like. Mine will be here Sunday for the refurbished Living room kitchen 

I remember you posted a link a year or two ago. I think that was before you could actually get them. I’ve been planning on getting one ever since. I hope it lives up to the hype. The reviews are good. 

• Like 1