Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,188
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Michael Butler
    Newest Member
    Michael Butler
    Joined

March Banter 2022


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Cheers:drunk:

Some good gusts atm . Been powder for a while now.  Brenda's pizza off rt 219 has a thermometer . It was ( 25) at 8pm .

Yep, gusts around 30-35 a few times. I’ve got 26 on the weather station for the temp. Snow has been coming down good the last few hours.  Seems like at least 8” should be a good bet at this rate. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, gusts around 30-35 a few times. I’ve got 26 on the weather station for the temp. Snow has been coming down good the last few hours.  Seems like at least 8” should be a good bet at this rate. 

Not in Snowshoe this weekend but glad you guys are seeing the snow.  21° on my weather station but can't tell you what has fallen.  Last day of season tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Duke and UNC in the final four

Disgusting 

After all the drama four seasoned programs make it to the finals, surprise surprise :). I'm sure they will be hyping the Duke-UNC rematch and can coach K get redemption from the last home loss. UNC and Kansas seemed to have the easiest path to the finals, we'll see what happens next week. I'm no fan of the teams from NC but have to admit these are the four teams that have played the best ball of the tourney.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic ass-kicking of Panama by the US last night. The only way we don't go to the World Cup is if we lose to Costa Rica by six goals or more on Wednesday...and even if we do (which we won't), we would still play a playoff against New Zealand for one final spot.

Even though the 2022 World Cup is probably one cycle too early for this crop of players, when this team is fully healthy it's going to be really fun to watch. The great thing is that these guys will be in their primes come the 2026 World Cup here in the US (and Mexico and Canada)!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Fantastic ass-kicking of Panama by the US last night. The only way we don't go to the World Cup is if we lose to Costa Rica by six goals or more on Wednesday...and even if we do (which we won't), we would still play a playoff against New Zealand for one final spot.

Even though the 2022 World Cup is probably one cycle too early for this crop of players, when this team is fully healthy it's going to be really fun to watch. The great thing is that these guys will be in their primes come the 2026 World Cup here in the US (and Mexico and Canada)!

Definitely was a good match.  They were focused and delivered. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2022 at 5:52 PM, vastateofmind said:

Thank you, my friend, and I wish you the very same!! While we've not formally "met," you're still the ONLY person I know in this area who shares the same cake day. Have a safe trip and enjoy your weekend away!

And LOL...yeah, I've lost count how many times I've turned 29...but I'm quite sure it's more times than both you AND @H2O;)

 

On 3/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, toolsheds said:

Happy Birthday to both of you!

 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, nj2va said:

Happy birthday fellas!

 

On 3/25/2022 at 6:46 AM, mappy said:

Happy Birthday @Always in Zugzwang and @vastateofmind:sun:

 

On 3/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, Kay said:

Seconded. Have a great day, guys :)

Getting to this a bit late, as I was up in Ohio (Cleveland area) visiting my brother and sister-in-law this past weekend for my birthday.  Thank you all so much!  Had a great time there.  Of course, there MAY have been food and plenty of booze involved (duh, of course there was)!:lol: Including BLTs and Veuve Cliquot champagne one day for brunch!

And they got snow!  It snowed on and off Saturday, sometimes pretty hard.  Mostly stuck to grassy areas, but maybe close to 2" total then, though it kind of melted and came back depending on when it was snowing.  It then got quite cold, around 20 Saturday night and it was in the 20s all day Sunday.  We got another ~4" overnight Saturday and some occasional decent snow showers during Sunday.  Definitely felt wintry!  It was like in the mid teens or so when I left this morning...brrrr!

Here's a couple of photos from their area.  First is Saturday afternoon, second one is Sunday morning:

Cle_Mar2022_6.thumb.jpg.0c43dd693d78fad04a01f262f6d17cbf.jpg

Cle_Mar2022_11.thumb.jpg.d746add9b4e7dbb7e5c2ff1e871a065a.jpg

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, mattie g said:

Fantastic ass-kicking of Panama by the US last night. The only way we don't go to the World Cup is if we lose to Costa Rica by six goals or more on Wednesday...and even if we do (which we won't), we would still play a playoff against New Zealand for one final spot.

Even though the 2022 World Cup is probably one cycle too early for this crop of players, when this team is fully healthy it's going to be really fun to watch. The great thing is that these guys will be in their primes come the 2026 World Cup here in the US (and Mexico and Canada)!

 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, toolsheds said:

Definitely was a good match.  They were focused and delivered. 

no worries about qualifying (mostly lol) but would still love to get a result tonight for the first time ever down there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MacChump said:

no worries about qualifying (mostly lol) but would still love to get a result tonight for the first time ever down there

There will be that little measure of concern until we finish the job. I mean...there's no way this Costa Rica team scores six goals on us, let alone six unanswered goals, but that nagging concern will still be there.

I'm with you though. Go down there and get three points to close it out. That would be phenomenal.

You know what's crazy? The absolutely ridiculous CONCACAF yellow card accumulation rule will be applied to the playoff game with New Zealand. There are nine Costa Rica players n a yellow, so if any of them pick up another tonight then they'll be suspended for that playoff game. That's just nuts. I feel for them, but I'd be surprised if most of them start since the chances of making up that GD against us are so incredibly slim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mattie g said:

There will be that little measure of concern until we finish the job. I mean...there's no way this Costa Rica team scores six goals on us, let alone six unanswered goals, but that nagging concern will still be there.

I'm with you though. Go down there and get three points to close it out. That would be phenomenal.

You know what's crazy? The absolutely ridiculous CONCACAF yellow card accumulation rule will be applied to the playoff game with New Zealand. There are nine Costa Rica players n a yellow, so if any of them pick up another tonight then they'll be suspended for that playoff game. That's just nuts. I feel for them, but I'd be surprised if most of them start since the chances of making up that GD against us are so incredibly slim.

i read that, too...apparently FIFA waived that rule for the UEFA playoffs but i don't know if you want to count on that happening for the NZ game if you are costa rica, so i would expect them to run a B team out there as well...get the three and hope everyone gets healthy between now and november

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, yoda said:

USA in the World Cup even though they lost 2-0 to Costa Rica tonight

Finish 3rd behind Mexico and Canada in the table

It was a bit of a dead-rubber match, but it was weird to go through despite losing. We didn't play poorly, either. Costa Rica took advantage of that one set piece, then Zack Steffen sh*t the bed again on a claiming a free kick. I can't stress enough how frustrating it is when you have a keeper who doesn't command the box well and/or will confidently collect crosses.

I think this team is built to play against teams that don't sit in a lower block - basically a team that allows a bit more space. We should see this much more in the World Cup than in qualifying, so I think we'll put on a good show.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mattie g said:

It was a bit of a dead-rubber match, but it was weird to go through despite losing. We didn't play poorly, either. Costa Rica took advantage of that one set piece, then Zack Steffen sh*t the bed again on a claiming a free kick. I can't stress enough how frustrating it is when you have a keeper who doesn't command the box well and/or will confidently collect crosses.

I think this team is built to play against teams that don't sit in a lower block - basically a team that allows a bit more space. We should see this much more in the World Cup than in qualifying, so I think we'll put on a good show.

agree, especially with the bolded...he should have given up a goal against panama for the same reason...anyway, relieved they qualified, now i just have to pretend to be on the fence about watching the WC for a while...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It was a bit of a dead-rubber match, but it was weird to go through despite losing. We didn't play poorly, either. Costa Rica took advantage of that one set piece, then Zack Steffen sh*t the bed again on a claiming a free kick. I can't stress enough how frustrating it is when you have a keeper who doesn't command the box well and/or will confidently collect crosses.

I think this team is built to play against teams that don't sit in a lower block - basically a team that allows a bit more space. We should see this much more in the World Cup than in qualifying, so I think we'll put on a good show.

Agreed.

Not exactly sure what is meant by pots as described here... but US and Mexico are in Pot 2 and Canada is in Pot 4.  Groups will be announced tomorrow at noon

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4628652/world-cup-finals-draw-pots-and-seedings-confirmed-for-fridays-ceremony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Agreed.

Not exactly sure what is meant by pots as described here... but US and Mexico are in Pot 2 and Canada is in Pot 4.  Groups will be announced tomorrow at noon

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4628652/world-cup-finals-draw-pots-and-seedings-confirmed-for-fridays-ceremony

The pots are basically the seeding groups. Pot 1 are the highest-ranked teams, Pot 2 the second-highest, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Groups are, therefore, comprised of one from pot one, one from pot two, one from pot 3 and one from pot 4. 

right. so you want be in a higher pot if possible...the US being in pot 2 isn't too bad...it means there will only be one team ranked higher than them in their group

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MacChump said:

right. so you want be in a higher pot if possible...the US being in pot 2 isn't too bad...it means there will only be one team ranked higher than them in their group

Ah okay, makes sense... though probably means the US will be making it out of the group as the runners up IMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MacChump said:

agree, especially with the bolded...he should have given up a goal against panama for the same reason...anyway, relieved they qualified, now i just have to pretend to be on the fence about watching the WC for a while...

It's crazy. He's done the same thing multiple times now.

I was texting with my buddies during the game and I said that I'm almost done with him. You just can't have those kinds of errors game-in and game-out. Matt Turner is definitely good enough to take that #1 spot. Gaga Slonina will almost certainly be our #1 over the next few years, but it's still too early. I'd be good with Turner, Steffen, Solonina as our three keepers in Qatar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...