Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

17 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

12z euro took a big dump on this run. The secondary low never really takes off so you don't get a nice wrapped up deformation band of wintry precip behind the cf like GFS has. A lot of moving pieces with this. Curious to see how it evolves. 

Yeah euro had some Taco Bell apparently. Now showing a lower high here on Thursday which is pretty cool

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

An observation if you will.  It's one thing when a bunch of us weenies are discussing and dissecting the possibilities with these storms a week out.  But when local mets starting showing something 7 days out saying a snow storm is on the horizon, you end up with a skeptic public when two days later the forecast has made a 180 turn.  They really should wait till 3-4 days out to even show a graphic.  i.e. the 12Z Euro

People still watch local TV mets?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

While not a carbon copy, there are a lot of similarities to the early Feb winter storm (GHD3). Many of the same moving pieces will be in place and a factor, and how they interact will obviously dictate how things progress.

Based on how things look at face value on guidance as of now, it would not be surprising if this ended up close to where GHD3 hit. Shall see how things evolve over the coming days though.

Really wouldn’t get invested in things until tomorrow or more-so Monday.

Although I obviously hope Joe is right about his hunch of being similar to GHD3 (12.3" here), right now is what I'm seeing for FWA:

Untitled 1.gif

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Although I obviously hope Joe is right about his hunch of being similar to GHD3 (12.3" here), right now is what I'm seeing for FWA:

Untitled 1.gif

Yeah he was talking about the same area being impacted not the amounts seen. This will likely be lower as it looks most of the QPF will fall in warm sector of this system and the deformation band of this will move through fairly quickly vs the last storm which was very long duration. But that's only if GFS is right. Latest euro just has some minor anafrontal wintry precip and no real wrapped up deformation band. 

Curious/trying to learn a little bit. Both the GFS/Euro seem to be trending slower/deeper with the northern stream piece of energy. What impact does that potentially have? Favor a better chance of phasing, thus a stronger (possibly negative tilt system)? Or something else? Or am I completely not looking at this correctly?

gfs_z500_vort_us_18.thumb.png.6fac9ad14e8291a90d4ead6a23688553.png

gfs_500_trend.thumb.gif.46d338fa47d5bab59d6c74aee6bac3be.gif

Curious/trying to learn a little bit. Both the GFS/Euro seem to be trending slower/deeper with the northern stream piece of energy. What impact does that potentially have? Favor a better chance of phasing, thus a stronger (possibly negative tilt system)? Or something else? Or am I completely not looking at this correctly?
gfs_z500_vort_us_18.thumb.png.6fac9ad14e8291a90d4ead6a23688553.png
gfs_500_trend.thumb.gif.46d338fa47d5bab59d6c74aee6bac3be.gif

It would have a negative impact in terms of potential, and is about one of three reasons why there’s been a shift south/weaker overall in guidance the past day or two.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It would have a negative impact in terms of potential, and is about one of three reasons why there’s been a shift south/weaker overall in guidance the past day or two.

Did I get the northern stream energy right and the fact that it's trending slower/deeper?

39 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I think normal people get their weather from an app on their phone.

I think that's partly right, the other part is from the social media apps on their phone.  Someone sees a 216 hour euro map on Facebook and then sends it to their friends and it keeps getting shared and then everyone bombards the local TV mets pages with, "OMG we're gonna get buried why aren't you warning us about this?"  I've noticed for both GHD3 and this upcoming system they're trying to temper the panic.  They acknowledge that there may be a storm next week and here's what they know and what they don't know.  Keep up with future forecasts but don't set your hair on fire just yet. TWC doesn't help when they show the GFS or Euro snowfall map five days out.  There are no numbers but we know the what the color table is, you aren't helping.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Position of the Hudson Bay Low.  Will always suppress/shear.  It's king in this pattern. 

And what pattern is that, exactly? And what combination of teleconnections will it take to change that? Seems no matter what, +/- ENSO, PDO, NAO, AO etc the result is the same for years on end.

24 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Here's the time period where things look meh. 18z gfs not overly impressive. But still many days out and the energy still way out by Alaska. Still plenty can change for the better or worse. 

Interesting thought.  Maybe it looking not so hot at this point isn't so bad since it keeps expectations in check.  Hopefully we can get some favorable ticks in the right direction even if it doesn't end up being a big storm.

• Like 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm