Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Might be a bit overdone?  :lol:

It’s just about as good of a phase we can get, based on how things are on paper right now.

So probably the tip of the ceiling for the event, and obviously would still favor weaker/SE. I think it was yesterday when I mentioned I would favor a hit near where GHD3 hit, in other words a compromise of the GFS/Euro (which ironically is what ended up working out at this range for GHD3).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It’s just about as good of a phase we can get, based on how things are on paper right now.

So probably the tip of the ceiling for the event, and obviously would still favor weaker/SE. I think it was yesterday when I mentioned I would favor a hit near where GHD3 hit, in other words a compromise of the GFS/Euro (which ironically is what ended up working out at this range for GHD3).

I actually kinda like where I'm at right now.

Just now, SolidIcewx said:

It’s going to get brutal I’ve been impressed with how cold it will get from it being in the upper 40s to near or below 0 depending on where you live. I hope for less rain cause that will be some serious freezing 

A GFS like solution would be a potential problem for anyone who loses power and is w/o a generator.

11 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

sounds familiar, doesn’t it.

we know how that worked out last time.

Well gfs ended up doing well nailing the waa event being well north last time with wave 1 but this time wave 1 is going to be all rain. Wave 2 is our only hope at wintry precip and that did end up way south like euro had it so guess you're right. There are definitely similarities to GHD III but plenty of differences as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Well gfs ended up doing well nailing the waa event being well north last time with wave 1 but this time wave 1 is going to be all rain. Wave 2 is our only hope at wintry precip and that did end up way south like euro had it so guess you're right. There are definitely similarities to GHD III but plenty of differences as well. 

Plenty. And also are we really calling that storm GHD III? It was certainly not in the same category as GHD I and II.

• Like 2

GFS was the last to cave south with the overrunning event, and in the end a compromise ended up being correct between the GFS/Euro for it.

3 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

Plenty. And also are we really calling that storm GHD III? It was certainly not in the same category and GHD I and II.

Well here it was pretty high impact. Travel was nearly shutdown. But I agree. First two definitely outshined it. I think GHD III was named more for the day it fell on not necessarily because of it's predecessors. But it still was a high impact storm for a large area of the US. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

GFS was the last to cave south with the overrunning event, and in the end a compromise ended up being correct between the GFS/Euro for it.

Valid point. Though I do feel euro corrected way more than gfs did, at least for round 1. Definitely curious to see if the secondary low ends up weak and south like a few weeks ago or if this one will be more amped and nw. 

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Feb 16-17th Winter Storm