• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2-4th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

Rice snow continues here. Seems to be our fate.  Rate is moderate, so at least we'll add 6-7" of gruel to our 5-6" base that survived the mini torch.  Should last us thru Feb given next 2 weeks look cold/dry-ish.

Edit: my theory is you need a bit elevation to get decent dendrite production here, or some kind of super Omega to counteract some slight downsloping effects we see often in synoptic storms.  

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Rice snow continues here. Seems to be our fate.  Rate is moderate, so at least we'll add 6-7" of gruel to our 5-6" base that survived the mini torch.  Should last us thru Feb given next 2 weeks look cold/dry-ish.

Edit: my theory is you need a bit elevation to get decent dendrite production here, or some kind of super Omega to counteract some slight downsloping effects we see often in synoptic storms.  

Yeah this storm doesn't warrant a travel advisory. IMO they should only be used in strong LES events. Synoptic events just don't really need them. Its been snowing for almost 24 hours to get almost 9" of snow. :lol:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Intensity of rice snow should start tapering down here in the next hour or so looking at radar. Models showed a 6-8" minima just N of Syracuse and into SW Oswego cty and looks like its playing out.  Areas south of the lake plain here look to be the jackpot.

Screenshot_20220203-214432_Gallery.jpg

That’s wild you’re getting g that rice snow. It’s legit dendrites up here. Not as big as lake effect but nice fatties falling 

I’m out driving around as per usual. Went bowling and dropped friends off downtown. It’s certainly bad but nothing too crazy. Roads aren’t anywhere as bad as that last synoptic system but still fun. Anytime I’m in 4x4  I’m a happy guy.   Looks like 6-8 for the most part. Definitely could make a run at 12 if the radar holds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

That’s wild you’re getting g that rice snow. It’s legit dendrites up here. Not as big as lake effect but nice fatties falling 

I think you have a bit of elevation there, as does Lake Effect King and 96Blizz.  Here in the swamps, without lake enhancement, always take the under. 

16 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

10.2” as of 10pm. Think we’ll end up somewhere between 12-14” before all is said and done. This stuff is no joke, pure paste on the bottom and sand and sugar grains on top. Still had almost 11” glacier before this event so pack is around 20” right now. Still snowing nicely. 

Look to be getting some enhancement from Ontario. Flake size has changed in the past 20 minutes or so, no longer that “sugary” look, more flake like now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Just added another inch in the last hour, continues to pound here 

Ok, so just did some measurements. Everything was clean at 0800 this am. Wasn't much going on between 0800 and change to SN- shortly thereafter.

0.45" melted

5.0" snowfall.

Ratio:  11.1:1

Ratio Better than i thought.  Just not getting the qpf, yet? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Syrmax stands solid on snowfall statements. Sleet-sized snowflakes falling in the synoptic snowstorm suckhole Sizzlecuse.

This was foreseen by some of the model soundings i was looking at the past day or so. But i was seeing some decent periods tonight. So maybe we get some better production at some point. This is long duration so maybe 10-12" not out of the question for us.

• Like 1

Been out and about in the Saratoga area, and it's absolutely pouring sleet.  I've never seen sleet this hard.  Complete scalping.  The roads may be worse than if this were an actual heavy snowfall.  Complete waste of precip, but at least it's unique.  Brings me back to the old days growing up in CT when many a beautiful snowstorms were ruined by that dreaded pinging sounds to let you know that rain was just around the corner.

• Like 4