• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

12Z GFS is a frightening look for NYC Metro, over an inch of liquid of ice.  

Truth is, if you live south or east of 287, ice storms verify.

There is no topography to hold the surface cold and, in NYC , too much cement if its marginally cold. 1994 comes to mind. The prolonged sleet storm Valentines 2007 also comes to mind. It is rare.

NYC metro is likely looking at a cold rain with some icing N and W.

Just now, the_other_guy said:

Truth is, if you live south or east of 287, ice storms verify.

There is no topography to hold the surface cold and, in NYC , too much cement if its marginally cold. 1994 comes to mind. The prolonged sleet storm Valentines 2007 also comes to mind. It is rare.

NYC metro is likely looking at a cold rain with some icing N and W.

This is an unusual scenario where its not about holding surface cold in as much as how far south and fast the cold air can come. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

GFS ticking warmer though anyone above the Trenton line would still face a significant icing situation. 

The only thing that was noticeably different was it backed off on icing over southern Jersey. It was still very aggressive north of there. I still don't believe the 1 inch of ZR in NYC metro although somebody is going to get a pretty bad ice storm. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

The only thing that was noticeably different was it backed off on icing over southern Jersey. It was still very aggressive north of there. I still don't believe the 1 inch of ZR in NYC metro although somebody is going to get a pretty bad ice storm. 

Odds don't favor it, but a bona fide ice storm in the NYC metro would be nuts.  I'm thinking that, just as it ticked back westward with this past weekend's storm, the GFS'll do something similar again.  If I lived 50 miles north or west of the city, I'd be paying attention.

Hopefully the next storm's just snowy!

2 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Odds don't favor it, but a bona fide ice storm in the NYC metro would be nuts.  I'm thinking that, just as it ticked back westward with this past weekend's storm, the GFS'll do something similar again.  If I lived 50 miles north or west of the city, I'd be paying attention.

Hopefully the next storm's just snowy!

When I said somebody is going to get a serious ice storm I didn't mean NYC in particular and the 1 inch is likely way overdone. You are right though, right now N and W most likely and I'm 80 miles north so I'm concerned. 

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

When I said somebody is going to get a serious ice storm I didn't mean NYC in particular and the 1 inch is likely way overdone. You are right though, right now N and W most likely and I'm 80 miles north so I'm concerned. 

A glazing is possible in the immediate suburbs at times and even this is hazardous; if it warms up then it's only a brief problem. But it can cause a lot of serious problems in the meantime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

A glazing is possible in the immediate suburbs at times and even this is hazardous; if it warms up then it's only a brief problem. But it can cause a lot of serious problems in the meantime.

It just happened a few weeks ago.  60 car pileups in Jersey, etc.  That was a glaze at bad timing.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

No doubt, Any ice is a problem. I'm worried that some areas are going to get .50 or more of ZR. We just don't know where yet. I think GFS is too cold and CMC is too warm, using a blend of GFS/Euro/CMC is prudent at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

A combination of all three is possible and I believe it happened in one of the ice storms of 94, where actually it even snowed briefly before changing to sleet then rain then freezing rain.

Yep. I was 10 and I remember it like it was last winter. In Mercer county you could walk on top of the snow/ice without leaving a footprint. My father used a spade to carve ice cubes and made a legit igloo

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TriPol said:

For once I'm hoping for 33 and rain. The last thing the NYC Metro area needs is a catastrophic ice storm.

I think thats unlikely in this scenario. This isn't going to be a case where NYC is 33 and rain. Either the storm track is further north and NYC is in the 40s/50s or its further south and falling into the 20s. This isn't a normal setup for our region, the winds coming out of the north will mitigate the ocean effect.

12 hours ago, Mitchel Volk said:

1973 was an incredible ice storm for NYC, 1994 Staten Island had one

Mitch, i think we actually had two in 94, the first was more a snow with ice on top, the second was a legit rare ice event ( the first may have been Dec 93 IIRC but I am in NJ and maybe it didn't affect the city, but that ice storm def did ).

2 minutes ago, David-LI said:

12z GFS Freezing Rain total. That would be a disaster.

zr_acc.us_ne.png

Seems like it’s getting a little warmer? 

I won’t be thrilled but I’ll gladly take the rain over a crippling ice storm that would knock power out for hundreds of thousands. Hopefully it can be a cold rain that won’t knock the snow cover out. 

I think the greatest odds at the ice storm will be just NW of the city and it’ll end up a little warmer but it can’t be ruled out in the immediate city/metro. 

I'm not buying the GFS until other models do and personally think it'll cave by tonight and definitely by tomorrow. 

We'll most likely see a cold rain (35-40F) and could finish with some snow showers before the storm ends 

With Ukie trending warmer, CMC warm this will end up as a non-event.

The Arctic high generally needs to be in place ahead of the system for us to get frozen precip. 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I'm not buying the GFS until other models do and personally think it'll cave by tonight and definitely by tomorrow. 

We'll most likely see a cold rain (35-40F) and could finish with some snow showers before the storm ends 

Hopefully. Who needs ice and power outages in mid-winter? No one. Since this area is generally predictable with weather types, I expect a cold rain with maybe some period of ice but nothing too bad for our region, but it's too soon to say.

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

UK and GGEM seem considerably warmer than GFS. Starting to think GFS is out to lunch and many of us get rain to maybe brief snow at the end. 

Same here.  Hoping that it doesn't damage the pack too much and that it sets the stage for something more fun Sunday into Monday!

• Like 1

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic