Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Took a much needed nap and did some shoveling and walking around and as of 12:00 pm, we have 7.25" here in Metuchen, which was very, very hard to measure with the windblown snow, so it was probably an average of at least 20 measurements around the yard (the snowboard measurement seemed a touch high to me at 7.6") which is close to my 8.25" prediction - wasn't sure we'd get that close a few hours ago, but the mostly light snow still delivered 1/3" per hour for the last 3 hours.  19F now.

Debating what to do with the 1/4" I got yesterday in the late morning - have seen some saying to include it - if so, I got 7.5".  I'm inclined to not include it, as it was from the front/clipper and we had many hours of no snow after that.  Don't think we'll get more than another 1/4", looking at the radar.  7.25" seems consistent with numbers I've seen reported near me in Middelsex County here and elsewhere, such as 8.5" in Carteret, 7" in P'way, 8" in Woodbridge, 8.5" in Staten Island, and 7.5" in New Brunswick.  Haven't seen any reports from Edison/Metuchen, though.  Anyone?

You are the go to guy for Metuchen....we needed those overnight bands to hang on a little longer. But it's still a nice snow and I will take a stroll in either Merrill or Roosevelt later just for the atmosphere. It really is a nice pond and I'm sure the skating rink will be open. At least we didn't kill ourselves with cleanup. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

anyone have an update for Middlesex County NJ? A friend says around 6 in Piscataway.  Too cold for me to go back out. ENjoying hot french toast and coffee. Call it brunch.

Slightly more in East Brunswick, stick rule in various non drift spots around 7".  Definitely not much more than that. 

7 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Took a much needed nap and did some shoveling and walking around and as of 12:00 pm, we have 7.25" here in Metuchen, which was very, very hard to measure with the windblown snow, so it was probably an average of at least 20 measurements around the yard (the snowboard measurement seemed a touch high to me at 7.6") which is close to my 8.25" prediction - wasn't sure we'd get that close a few hours ago, but the mostly light snow still delivered 1/3" per hour for the last 3 hours.  19F now.

Debating what to do with the 1/4" I got yesterday in the late morning - have seen some saying to include it - if so, I got 7.5".  I'm inclined to not include it, as it was from the front/clipper and we had many hours of no snow after that.  Don't think we'll get more than another 1/4", looking at the radar.  7.25" seems consistent with numbers I've seen reported near me in Middelsex County here and elsewhere, such as 8.5" in Carteret, 7" in P'way, 8" in Woodbridge, 8.5" in Staten Island, and 7.5" in New Brunswick.  Haven't seen any reports from Edison/Metuchen, though.  Anyone?

Thanks for the update on that. Your 7.25 is just about the same as the measurement I just got here. Still coming down decently here -- high end light snow, but the back edge is getting close. I'm probably going to end up a little over 7 and a half inches. Close to what we were expecting last night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Thanks for the update on that. Your 7.25 is just about the same as the measurement I just got here. Still coming down decently here -- high end light snow, but the back edge is getting close. I'm probably going to end up a little over 7 and a half inches. Close to what we were expecting last night.

It's a bit frustrating to always be on that line; if it's cold enough for all snow, we're too far west. Storm comes west, we mix. Last year our totals were cut in the big storm by the sleet; Topped out at 18 but areas north did a lot better.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It's a bit frustrating to always be on that line; if it's cold enough for all snow, we're too far west. Storm comes west, we mix. Last year our totals were cut in the big storm by the sleet; Topped out at 18 but areas north did a lot better.

It definitely can be frustrating. And I am a little frustrated that we missed out on the really big totals that the Jersey shore and Long Island are getting, but I'm still happy with this storm. It's not as if we got a small advisory level event. It was a solid warning level event here. 7 inches is a significant amount of snow. Not bad at all. After missing 2 other snowstorms to the south this month, I'm glad we didn't miss out on this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It definitely can be frustrating. And I am a little frustrated that we missed out on the really big totals that the Jersey shore and Long Island are getting, but I'm still happy with this storm. It's not as if we got a small advisory level event. It was a solid warning level event here. 7 inches is a significant amount of snow. Not bad at all. After missing 2 other snowstorms to the south this month, I'm glad we didn't miss out on this one.

Yeah if it was a widespread 6-10 it would be one thing, but seeing monstrous amounts within driving distance does take the wind out of things. But it is still a good event in an otherwise boring winter. Got to use some of the winter gear. Took a nice ride; area was deserted. People have come to life now and are out and about; we are still snowing a little better than before, but again not enough to make a big difference at this juncture. My wife actually prefers we stay around 3-6, more than that its a PIA she thinks. But the consensus seems to be around 6-8 here, most of which fell at night.